IBM XT Keyboard -- Next Steps

Hypersphere

08 Apr 2014, 19:52

An IBM XT keyboard is on its way (good price on eBay for one that appears to be in excellent condition). I have wanted to try the XT switches to compare with those on my IBM Model M, IBM Model M SSK, and IBM 122-key terminal keyboards. However, as we all know, it will take at minimum some electronic conversion to enable the keyboard to be used with contemporary computers. What other steps might I take, ranging from simple remapping and perhaps keycap exchanges, to a complete teardown and rebuild, to bring an XT board closer to an ANSI-layout Model M?

Parak

08 Apr 2014, 22:15

Unfortunately it's not modable to ANSI as the pads and plate holes either don't exist for those positions or are offset elsewhere, like in the case of the vertical enter. You will need a converter to use it and to remap keys however you want, ideally Soarer's, uploaded to a teensy or some $5 ebay china special pro micro :p

Hypersphere

09 Apr 2014, 01:40

Thanks; this confirms my expectations. From what I have read, it appears that the relatively rare IBM AT keyboard would be much more suitable for modification to a standard ANSI layout. It appears that the XT keyboard will be a novelty that I can appreciate for the feel of its BS capacitive switches and something to keep my synapses plastic as I switch from one layout to another.

E TwentyNine

09 Apr 2014, 02:11

This guy has the pro micro shipped from NY for slightly more than the China vendors:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pro-Micro-Atmeg ... 1384477772

Hypersphere

22 Apr 2014, 01:41

E TwentyNine wrote:This guy has the pro micro shipped from NY for slightly more than the China vendors:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pro-Micro-Atmeg ... 1384477772
Interesting. However, when I am ready for this level of customization, I will probably go with a Teensy to ensure compatibility with Soarer's converter.

In the meantime, I have been using the Hagstrom converter box to connect the XT to my Mac, and Keyremap4Macbook software for remapping, which works for my Windows and Linux machines as well, because they are Synergy clients sharing the keyboard and mouse with my Mac server. The remappings are reflected by new keycaps harvested from other IBM boards or purchased from Unicomp.

scottc

22 Apr 2014, 01:46

You can use a Pro Micro with Soarer's Converter. It's not quite as out-of-the-box as you have to figure out the new locations to solder wires on the board, but it's much cheaper.

E TwentyNine

22 Apr 2014, 02:01

scottc wrote:You can use a Pro Micro with Soarer's Converter. It's not quite as out-of-the-box as you have to figure out the new locations to solder wires on the board, but it's much cheaper.
Soarer listed the adjusted locations for the Pro Micro in a thread somewhere here or on GH, it was simple. And once you get the driver loaded and Soarer's code on there setting up with with new keymap files is dirt simple.

scottc

22 Apr 2014, 02:27

Thanks for the reminder, E29 - I had actually totally forgotten about that. I've just found the link in my bookmarks: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=528 ... msg1200721

I haven't gotten around to making my Soarer Converter with my spare Pro Micro, but I will definitely do so once I get some free time. :)

JBert

22 Apr 2014, 09:32

He also posted it on Deskthority in the "Teensy alternatives" thread: http://deskthority.net/workshop-f7/teen ... ml#p144955

Hypersphere

22 Apr 2014, 14:33

Thanks, Scottc and E29, for pointing out that the Pro Micro can be used with the Soarer Converter!

At present, using the Hagstrom converter, KR4MB, and swapping some keycaps, my XT keyboard has a reasonable approximation of a HHKB-Mac layout.

Right side of keyboard: Green key with return arrow = Return; Tan blank above Return = Backspace (back Delete); Light Blue Fn = right Fn; Dark Blue = Right Option (Alt); Red = Right Control. Arrow keys are on by default, toggled to numbers by NumLock. Scroll Lock/Break = Power. Right Command is shown next to the Space Bar. Fn is set to HHKB mode -- for example, Fn toggles a diamond cursor on the [ / ; ' keys.
xt140422r.jpg
xt140422r.jpg (869.79 KiB) Viewed 1820 times
Left side of keyboard: Red = Control; Dark Blue = Option (Alt); Tan Command is shown next to the Space Bar. Light Blue Fn = left Fn. Among other things, Fn toggles Escape to Backquote (`) and Fn+Shift = Tilde (~). Esc + Tab = pass through to default mapping of keyboard.
xt140422l1.jpg
xt140422l1.jpg (867.72 KiB) Viewed 1820 times

Return to “Keyboards”