[SHIPPING] Granite Set ~ 100% PBT ~ Dye Sub ~ DSA

drrtyrokka

22 Apr 2014, 13:17

I'm not really shure if it is the original, but I think it will look way better... why are the foots that thin and have no angle on the black one? This truly doesn't look consistent...
EDIT: Got an old Amiga at home, will look after work.

drrtyrokka

22 Apr 2014, 13:30

Muirium wrote:Fancy sharing a link or two of your research, Drrtyrokka? I think we had them identical to begin with, but then Broadmonkey or another Amiga user pointed out they were different after all.
look here: http://www.doctorq.info/amibay/Keyboard3.JPG
and here: http://static.giantbomb.com/uploads/ori ... a_over.jpg

Muirium
µ

22 Apr 2014, 13:37

Yup, those are pretty clearly the same on each side. What about the oldest Amigas? I think our source was Broadmonkey's red A. Not that we are doing red now, which is a pity…

drrtyrokka

22 Apr 2014, 13:39

I just noticed when I was looking over the legends as matt3o asked for.
If nobody bothers, we can keep it though...

kbdfr
The Tiproman

22 Apr 2014, 13:52

This is how they look like (put side by side) on the G80-0940:
Side-by-side.jpg
Side-by-side.jpg (768.01 KiB) Viewed 4806 times

drrtyrokka

22 Apr 2014, 13:55

So there are 2 versions? hmmm.... Our keys aren't red :D

matt3o
-[°_°]-

22 Apr 2014, 13:59

kbdfr wrote:This is how they look like (put side by side) on the G80-0940:
Side-by-side.jpg
I used this image as a reference. (two completely different typeface)

drrtyrokka

22 Apr 2014, 14:02

But which one looks better?? I prefer the black ones...

Broadmonkey
Fancy Rank

22 Apr 2014, 14:03

drrtyrokka wrote:Is it normal, that the two Amiga keys look that different? I mean, it isn't just the infill, the style of the both 'A's looks that different, I dont really like how it looks side by side...
(Especially the right foot of the right 'A' is at right angle and the left 'A' isn't...)
Is this the original look of the Amiga keys??

EDIT: It also looks like, the Black Amiga keys left foot is really thin... I researched a little and both original Amiga keys look exactly the same, exept the infill. Here they look quite different.

EDIT2:
Suggestion: Take the Grey Amiga Key and fill it black for the second one and replace the black Amiga key image.

Like this:
Sooo... you want the Amiga keys to look like that of the cheap keyboards instead of the higher end Cherry made Amiga 2000?

Personally I think there is a charm to the two "A" being different.
Also, nobody will place them next to each other, they are supposed to go on each side of the spacebar like the original!

drrtyrokka

22 Apr 2014, 14:06

okay okay, convinced me...
Go for it!

matt3o
-[°_°]-

22 Apr 2014, 14:08

PS: I'll try to have them red, but if they come out too dark I'll turn them black.

Muirium
µ

22 Apr 2014, 14:10

YES! Amiga Red!

drrtyrokka

22 Apr 2014, 14:38

matt3o wrote:PS: I'll try to have them red, but if they come out too dark I'll turn them black.
You should try a lighter red shade, that will turn in quite the same like the ones on light gray...

matt3o
-[°_°]-

22 Apr 2014, 14:47

legend color is added to the keycap color. There's really no way to get the same tone of red.

Re cyrillic this is a test I've done, but I'm not sold.

Omikron

22 Apr 2014, 14:55

1 key fell out :shock:

matt3o
-[°_°]-

22 Apr 2014, 15:08

Original vs Granite

matt3o
-[°_°]-

22 Apr 2014, 15:12

I think I'll stick with this

Muirium
µ

22 Apr 2014, 15:35

Yeah, Omikron was right about centred digits. And you've done them just peach!

matt3o
-[°_°]-

22 Apr 2014, 16:12

okay I hopefully fixed all the errors.

Please review the legends and let me know if you spot any typo or inconsistency.

Imgug gallery:
http://imgur.com/a/sVYfZ

Eszett

22 Apr 2014, 17:03

Did some spot checks, and couldn’t find anything conspicuous anymore. I would say it looks good for me (german layout) ...

Broadmonkey
Fancy Rank

22 Apr 2014, 17:39

I can't spot anything either. Danish set is valid, along with the text mods and pro. Nerdom looks fantastic with those red "A"s, even though I know there is only a very small change they will remain red.

joel

22 Apr 2014, 22:58

Argh. I noticed a missing key for Swedish users. On Swedish keyboards (at least on Mac), we have € and 4 on the same key. Like this: http://km.support.apple.com/library/APP ... wedish.gif

But I guess it's too late to fix that now?

Muirium
µ

22 Apr 2014, 23:13

Yeah, join the club! Apple keyboards have a few oddities. I'm going mono legend to get the UK layout that I'm used to.

By the way: incredible work, Matt! I've spent the last hour or so gawping at your SVGs and they are so, so nice! Your attention to detail is really on show in all this work. Mouthwatering legends! I'm so looking forward to getting my set.

My niggles are:
  • The commas and periods: are they big enough to be clear?
  • The page up and down symbols: could shorter arrows be a better visual fit with the rest of the navigation six-pack?
  • The lines in the MX switch graphic cap are very fine indeed. Will it show up?
I used Safari to view the vectors up close. One symbol was getting corrupted:
Screen Shot 2014-04-22 at 10.09.02 pm.png
Screen Shot 2014-04-22 at 10.09.02 pm.png (132.3 KiB) Viewed 4630 times
Zoomed closer:
Screen Shot 2014-04-22 at 10.09.34 pm.png
Screen Shot 2014-04-22 at 10.09.34 pm.png (49.05 KiB) Viewed 4630 times
Obviously a client side glitch. Do you know what software SP uses to handle these? Webkit apparently doesn't like the way that diamond is laid out in Icon Pro.

kakarlsen

23 Apr 2014, 00:02

joel wrote:Argh. I noticed a missing key for Swedish users. On Swedish keyboards (at least on Mac), we have € and 4 on the same key. Like this: http://km.support.apple.com/library/APP ... wedish.gif

But I guess it's too late to fix that now?
Just pointing out that that would not work in a Norwegian kit, as it's programmed on 5, but I've never seen it labeled on the key. It's often printed on the E-key though. (but I don't want it there!)

Edit: And I see now that the Swedish and Norwegian ISO standards are the same on the 4 key (¤4$), so what you are referring to is indeed a sour Apple. :twisted:

matt3o
-[°_°]-

23 Apr 2014, 00:16

thanks Muir for the report. I'll double check all your points. I've actually already shortened a little the pgup/down and I thought they were quite fine now.

Fortunately I will have a print proof before starting production so I'll be able to fix errors if any.

Safari used to be a very good browser but they really can't keep up with chrome nowadays. Anyway I will convert all files in EPS format before sending them to SP, that should be the safest solution.

Re Swedish, I believe the layout joel posted is Mac specific. Here the € is on E for example

kakarlsen

23 Apr 2014, 00:21

Just confirmed with a Mac user that you even have "shift+option+4 for ¢" (eurocent). I don't keep change!

Muirium
µ

23 Apr 2014, 00:38

Something about Google's direction in recent years keeps me away from giving them the gift of my browser. I wouldn't put universal snooping beyond them now. I'd rather a less competent multinational megacorp inside my software than those guys!

Anyway, the diamond is the only glyph I could see corruption on. Something low level, like the order it's being drawn in, is different about it compared to the rest. Hopefully not a problem once you convert it and hand over to SP.

Madhias
BS TORPE

23 Apr 2014, 08:24

As a daily prepress operator i have to say to check SVG files with Safari is not um ah ... very good. As an end format i would never use SVG. Unfortunately a lot of output devices can't handle the format completely or correctly. Go with EPS and everything will be OK :)

matt3o
-[°_°]-

23 Apr 2014, 08:34

Muirium wrote:Something about Google's direction in recent years keeps me away from giving them the gift of my browser. I wouldn't put universal snooping beyond them now. I'd rather a less competent multinational megacorp inside my software than those guys!
ah don't even let me started. Apple or Google, same shit.

Muirium
µ

23 Apr 2014, 10:24

Exactly. Google's just better at it (they have to be, that's what pays them, not us). Give me the disinterested snoop over the hyperactive one, any day.

Thanks Madhias for confirming what I thought about SVG. Even after all these years, support for the format seems a bit half baked. I don't have a modern version of Adobe CS (just the ancient copy on my G4, where Illustrator is a joke) and Safari was my only choice to check them out without installing further software. Inkscape's stuck in X11 on the Mac. I'll use it when they can be arsed building a version native for my platform.

Return to “Group buys”