15 Jun 2014, 19:07

fuuuu*k! That's beautiful! :shock:

scottc

15 Jun 2014, 19:08

Wow. That looks incredible.

Muirium
µ

15 Jun 2014, 19:19

Goddang beam springers still putting me in my place!

Hypersphere

15 Jun 2014, 21:56

The oil-rubbed bronze looks fabulous, even if the name sounds like a sun-tanned body builder. ;)

Which manufacturer makes this particular paint?

quantalume

16 Jun 2014, 07:04

Hypersphere wrote:Which manufacturer makes this particular paint?
Rustoleum, #249131. I can't say I recommend it, however. Coverage is poor (used 3 cans on just that one keyboard), and it tends to clog and sputter no matter how much you shake it.

Hypersphere

16 Jun 2014, 14:24

quantalume wrote:
Hypersphere wrote:Which manufacturer makes this particular paint?
Rustoleum, #249131. I can't say I recommend it, however. Coverage is poor (used 3 cans on just that one keyboard), and it tends to clog and sputter no matter how much you shake it.
This paint is available in brush-on as well as spray. Have you ever tried using brush-on paints? I wonder if this might work better than spray, especially for the metallic paints?

quantalume

16 Jun 2014, 16:41

I've never used a brush for this type of application. I'd be concerned about uniformity. I might try it in my spray gun though. Do you have a link for that?

Hypersphere

16 Jun 2014, 16:50

quantalume wrote:I've never used a brush for this type of application. I'd be concerned about uniformity. I might try it in my spray gun though. Do you have a link for that?
Here is the link I found to the brush-on variety of oil-rubbed bronze Rustoleum paint. It is for Home Depot in the US:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Rust-Oleum-P ... /202097791

quantalume

16 Jun 2014, 17:04

Hmmm...it has a completely different solvent base. It would most likely require a primer over plastic or bare metal. It's still worth a try though. I have some vintage office accessories that would look cool if painted to match the keyboard. Thanks for the link.

mr_a500

17 Jun 2014, 00:13

quantalume wrote:
I decided to redo my 3278 beamspring in a dark theme as well. The color is called "oil-rubbed bronze."

Awesome. Nice paint job. 8-)

Hypersphere

17 Jun 2014, 00:35

mr_a500 wrote:
quantalume wrote:
I decided to redo my 3278 beamspring in a dark theme as well. The color is called "oil-rubbed bronze."

<snip>

Awesome. Nice paint job. 8-)
That color scheme on the beam spring is indeed beautiful. Well done!

ninjadoc

15 Jul 2014, 01:28

What type of paint did you use and how did you paint it? Gorgeous keyboard!

Kept reading the thread and I found it.
Last edited by ninjadoc on 15 Jul 2014, 02:19, edited 1 time in total.

Hypersphere

15 Jul 2014, 01:31

ninjadoc wrote: What type of paint did you use and how did you paint it? Gorgeous keyboard!
See the links above.

Daniel

15 Jul 2014, 21:29

That's very nice :)

Hypersphere

15 Jul 2014, 21:36

@quantalume: Did your beam spring come with an IBM logo or did you apply one from a different keyboard (or print one onto a metal badge)? If you added an IBM logo, how did you do it? For example, is it recessed into the surface of the case so that it is flush with the case, or did you affix it on top of the case surface, so that the logo is raised above the plane of the case? Thanks.

ShawnMeg

02 Aug 2014, 01:47

Hypersphere wrote:
quantalume wrote:That's always been one of my favorite keyboards. The key action is the next best thing to beam springs, maybe even better in some regards. When I used to use that keyboard daily, I got in the habit of rotating my right hand and hitting the return key with the side of my pinky. You can do it fast and accurately with a little practice. You can swap keys with the Model M, so you might be able to fit replacements for the shift keys that have wider finger contact areas.

There are only two screws that hold the back on; it shouldn't be much trouble at all to get it put together properly.

Good luck finding a reasonably-priced AT Model F if you decide to go that route.
Thanks for your comments. Currently, I have remapped the Backquote (`) to Return and Return to Backspace (back Delete). I have also mapped the left Alt to Option, Caps Lock to Command, and turned on the arrow keys. Surprisingly, the small shift keys do not bother me as much as they do on other keyboards with small (right) shift keys, such as the Tex Beetle. I am in the process of looking for some replacement keycaps using a standard Model M and a 122-key IBM as donors.

Does anyone have a good guide for disassembly and cleaning of an IBM XT keyboard? At this stage, I do not want to do anything major; just cleaning the case, keycaps, and the plate underneath the keycaps. Thanks.
My Model F XT is orgasmic. I can't imagine a better feel and sound.

quantalume

02 Aug 2014, 06:59

Hypersphere wrote: @quantalume: Did your beam spring come with an IBM logo or did you apply one from a different keyboard (or print one onto a metal badge)? If you added an IBM logo, how did you do it? For example, is it recessed into the surface of the case so that it is flush with the case, or did you affix it on top of the case surface, so that the logo is raised above the plane of the case? Thanks.
Sorry, I just now saw your question. The logo is one of these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/110994336900. It's metal with a self-adhesive backing.
logo.JPG
logo.JPG (9.72 KiB) Viewed 5511 times

xwhatsit

02 Aug 2014, 08:43

Wow. A Geekhack member emailed me a photo of that and I thought it was a photoshop... that is very impressive.

Is that a Selectric badge?

EDIT: Looks like I missed the next page :lol: Everything becomes clear!

Hypersphere

02 Aug 2014, 15:13

@quantalume: Thanks! I did not know these existed.

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

24 May 2015, 02:27

Whoa that beamspring is pretty slick. Did you replace the bottom cover?

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

24 May 2015, 15:14

conrgats on your XT Hypersphere! My argument regarding the XT remains the same; the build quality overall is higher than AT which for me improves the typing experience. Now this is preference of course. The layout is not as alien as it appears at first. I did get used to it and there are nice layout modding options, both soft and hardware wise. The size of the keyboard is a nice compromise too. With it`s fantastic keyswitch feel it still remains one of my all time favorite keyboards. I managed to find a boxed and converted one in our marketplace. One of my best buys.
IMG_20150524_150930.jpg
IMG_20150524_150930.jpg (341.13 KiB) Viewed 5146 times

Muirium
µ

24 May 2015, 16:20

Necro…

XT's are solid, but they're far from the best Model F. Of course, few mechs can even begin to compare to Model Fs anyway, so that's not exactly writing them off.

seebart

24 May 2015, 16:35

Muirium wrote: Necro…

XT's are solid, but they're far from the best Model F. Of course, few mechs can even begin to compare to Model Fs anyway, so that's not exactly writing them off.
unfortunately I don`t have enough comparison in that segment. :cry: Highest build quality I own is my Micro Switch. But that`s a whole other ballpark. I`m sure F107 is even nicer build quality. Kishaver etc.

Muirium
µ

24 May 2015, 16:43

I didn't say anything about build quality. The XT's Achilles heel is the horrible layout! I can adjust to it too, but when I switch to my AT or Kishsaver afterwards it feels such a relief!

In my book, Topres feel higher quality in the hand than Model F or Model Ms. But it's certainly not weight that does it. Subjective!

seebart

24 May 2015, 16:49

Muirium wrote: I didn't say anything about build quality. The XT's Achilles heel is the horrible layout! I can adjust to it too, but when I switch to my AT or Kishsaver afterwards it feels such a relief!

In my book, Topres feel higher quality in the hand than Model F or Model Ms. But it's certainly not weight that does it. Subjective!
OK fine. We can agree to disagree. Although I only owned a RF for a somewhat short time so I cannot judge that. I do remember the RF build quality to be superb. I am primarily talking about build quality Mu! I know there`s more to this thread!
The XT's Achilles heel is the horrible layout!
I dont`find it that horrible!

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

24 May 2015, 19:05

What about unsaver? :roll:

seebart

24 May 2015, 19:23

What about the unsaver Redmaus? It's a rare keyboard that's for sure. Build quality will probably be like it's bigger brothers the 122. You'll have to ask someone who actually owns one.

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

24 May 2015, 20:34

Yeah, the it is most likely similar to the F122. I have one and enjoy it, but I have noticed a brrt or bzzt sound after some keypresses and it has become so annoying I have decided to change to my SSK for awhile. I started hearing the sound a week or two after the ANSI mod I did on it.

Muirium
µ

24 May 2015, 21:13

My hunch is the larger the keyboard, the looser the overall tolerances will be for the same build quality. The Unsaver's still a large keyboard. But potentially a bit tighter built than its full battleship brothers.

I'm tempted to start calling Unsavers "Battlecruisers". The 62 key Kishsaver, meanwhile, is either a Pocket Battleship or a Destroyer.

Chyros

25 May 2015, 02:25

Muirium wrote: My hunch is the larger the keyboard, the looser the overall tolerances will be for the same build quality. The Unsaver's still a large keyboard. But potentially a bit tighter built than its full battleship brothers.

I'm tempted to start calling Unsavers "Battlecruisers". The 62 key Kishsaver, meanwhile, is either a Pocket Battleship or a Destroyer.
When people refer to "battleships", are they generally referring to 122 layout boards then?

Return to “Keyboards”