Top Gun Coolmadness Whoopi Goldberg As Guinan's Eyebrows

sth
2 girls 1 cuprubber

10 Aug 2014, 10:37

Murium: where do you stand on the new Finder icon? cause i'm about to break

Muirium
µ

10 Aug 2014, 18:26

My first Mac was a 12" PowerBook, which i used for years and years, so I got into the habit of hiding the dock long ago, or lose some precious pixels. I still think that way, evn with a 2280x1800 display (instead of 1024x768). I loathe the asymmetry of a dock on the left or right. While the bottom centred dock pushes up windows in a way that gets on my tits.

You'd not be too surprised then to hear that I run OS X in a visually minimalist way. The only apps in my dock are currently running ones (I use my keyboard to launch apps so screw that) and it only shows when I mouse down to the bottom edge, for the occasional bit of pulling something out of a stack or checking the right thing is in the trash. Everything else is content. Wall to wall. Whether full screen mode or perfectly sized windows side by side to cover the whole screen. That's one of the reasons I like to keep my hands off the mouse. Accidental drags give me nightmares.

So yeah, I seldom see the smiley Finder guy. Mostly just for a moment when I'm Command+Tabbing through apps. You don't like him either, eh?

Daniel Beardsmore

10 Aug 2014, 18:53

I was genuinely surprised that the Finder logo was still the same. And yes, they've made a mess out of it.

sth
2 girls 1 cuprubber

10 Aug 2014, 19:30

this whole OS revamping smacks of "ding dong the witch is dead" - like they're finally willing to start throwing out all the steve-ness by the bucketful. started with the colorful ipods/phones and won't stop til who even knows? i doubt i'll still be running OS X as a primary OS long enough to find out.

say what you will about the man but he was idiosyncratic, for sure, and so were apple's products. now... i'm not so sure.

Daniel Beardsmore

10 Aug 2014, 20:47

I'm always relieved when I upgrade a program, and the new version looks the same as the previous version. It means that they've not been wasting effort on senseless UI redesigns. (Of course, if the UI sucked and needed redesigning, that would be a different matter.)

A good portion of the changes to OS X's UI style have been for the better; early versions were terrible. OS X has done pretty well in terms of avoiding the "change for change's sake" mentality of the industry. That run has now been broken by Yosemite. (Are we sure we're out of big cat names, now, btw? The new names just seem to be whatever random word came into some bloke's head.)

All too often, it's obvious that the new design was created simply to ensure that Joe Public thinks that it's All New, or just out of a brain-dead mentality that everything must change. Thunderbird used to do that — each new version was just as broken and useless as the last, but hey, all new icons!!! It's still broken and useless, but they've toned down the constant messing with the UI.

Muirium
µ

10 Aug 2014, 20:50

Something tells me a few of you guys would like Haunted Empire:

http://www.macworld.com/article/2109181 ... ative.html

Spoiler: DOOOOOOOOOOOM!

Steve was both a positive and negative influence on design. Lion was probably the OS X closest to his heart. Awkwardly slavish to iOS, his real baby.

Daniel Beardsmore

10 Aug 2014, 21:13

It's more like Hell — we're damned, not doomed.

sth
2 girls 1 cuprubber

13 Aug 2014, 09:09

•_•) /
<) )
/ \

\ (•_•)
( (>
/ \

(•_•)
<) )>
/ \

sth
2 girls 1 cuprubber

15 Aug 2014, 09:32

an unarmed man was shot in cold blood multiple times by a police officer and i have friends more worried about the "rioting and looting" (remember!!! in america, white people protest and black people riot and loot) than the fact that the police in my country are allowed to murder people and then implement martial law in their town for days until the state governor decides it looks bad for him not to do anything.

webwit
Wild Duck

15 Aug 2014, 09:54

Time to use drones on those fuckers (protesters and rioters).

sth
2 girls 1 cuprubber

15 Aug 2014, 10:11

i'm pretty tired of feeling sardonic about this sort of thing all the time. it really gets me down.

what are we going to do?!

davkol

15 Aug 2014, 10:29

ǧihād

sth
2 girls 1 cuprubber

15 Aug 2014, 13:23

in other news i have ZERO FUCKING PATIENCE for programmers who get free lunches and can't change a MOTHER FUCKING WATER BOTTLE on a water cooler.

sth
2 girls 1 cuprubber

15 Aug 2014, 13:52

But it's okay because...

Muirium
µ

15 Aug 2014, 14:12

sth wrote: i'm pretty tired of feeling sardonic about this sort of thing all the time. it really gets me down.

what are we going to do?!
The best plan I heard was on Roderick on the Line, starting minute 36:

http://www.merlinmann.com/roderick/ep-1 ... akery.html

They're only half kidding. The real problem with modern American cops is indeed how divorced they are from the neighbourhoods they're policing. It might as well be Fallujah. Or Mars.

sth
2 girls 1 cuprubber

18 Aug 2014, 10:21

WHERE THE HELL WAS I WHEN THIS WAS A SPORT
this is the most :maverick: top gun coolmadness guinan's eyebrows sport in the history of competition

webwit
Wild Duck

18 Aug 2014, 12:13

Almost as good as reverse and caravan racing.

sth
2 girls 1 cuprubber

18 Aug 2014, 13:03

webwit wrote: Almost as good as reverse and caravan racing.
Ah! My colleague was just telling me about these cars a few weeks ago.

Truly a Top Gun Coolmadness approved driving method!

:maverick:

sth
2 girls 1 cuprubber

23 Aug 2014, 20:00

this weekend so far:
last night i went out to play some pinball around 22:00. didn't fare so well, then I had a drink with a friend. another friend showed up and invited me to a different bar which i accepted. after uncountable beers we somehow ended up at this nasty ass club playing standard club techno shit with a few US rap banger remixes (i've never heard Empire State of Mind at 130BPM, gross). i actually waited in line for this place because the alternative was probably going home and going to bed, and clubs are fuckin wild and i never go so they're still kind of a novelty.
anyways, we all ended up having these shooters that involved lighting a glass of something on fire and pouring it into another glass full of green stuff, then slamming the shot and inhaling the alcohol vapors from the other cup with a straw. what the hell?! well, that was fucking gross but i accidentally ordered us another round of the damn things. hooray. i'm not sure how but i was out til about 4AM. managed to get home just fine!

today i woke up at 2PM and my day has consisted of drinking tea (now beer), smoking, setting up a linux environment my macbook air (os x begone! yaaa! except i will have a VM to sync my iphone and run photoshop and shit) and listening to a bunch of tapes because i found out my tape deck works. this band rules: http://suffersuffersuffer.blogspot.nl/
later tonight i'll make some dinner and then go play shuffleboard on my way to probably getting drunk again.

tl;dr: friday night partied at the club, saturday spent the day configuring arch on my macbook, my life is pretty sweet

Daniel Beardsmore

23 Aug 2014, 23:35

Is there anywhere left in the Western world for people who don't get drunk?

sth
2 girls 1 cuprubber

24 Aug 2014, 00:29

Yes! Everywhere. Fuck 'em. Do your thing Daniel.

sth
2 girls 1 cuprubber

24 Aug 2014, 00:30

Oh and by the way, shuffleboard led me right back home. Had to hang out with some kid my roommate brought along and he was kinda weird in the not good way. Also I discovered another pinball machine! Hooray.

Daniel Beardsmore

24 Aug 2014, 01:08

sth wrote: Yes! Everywhere. Fuck 'em. Do your thing Daniel.
Glad to see that even your imagination is inconsistent with your own life.

sth
2 girls 1 cuprubber

24 Aug 2014, 09:20

What do you mean?!

BlueBär

24 Aug 2014, 14:20

Daniel Beardsmore wrote: Is there anywhere left in the Western world for people who don't get drunk?
Churches (minus the priest).

Daniel Beardsmore

24 Aug 2014, 15:23

sth wrote: What do you mean?!
I was intrigued that you would concoct a fantasy world with so many people conducting a lifestyle so manifestly different from your own. You should become a novelist.

sth
2 girls 1 cuprubber

24 Aug 2014, 16:30

Daniel Beardsmore wrote:
sth wrote: What do you mean?!
I was intrigued that you would concoct a fantasy world with so many people conducting a lifestyle so manifestly different from your own. You should become a novelist.
my lifestyle sucks :x

Muirium
µ

24 Aug 2014, 16:43

More grass. More reggae. More dreads.

You're in holland for goodness sake! Make like the natives.

sth
2 girls 1 cuprubber

24 Aug 2014, 17:39

Muirium wrote: More grass. More reggae. More dreads.

You're in holland for goodness sake! Make like the natives.
thankfully i smoke enough to make up for the lack of reggae and dreadlocks because naaaaw

sth
2 girls 1 cuprubber

26 Aug 2014, 22:55

check it out i'm a total dork

Return to “Off-topic”