One Side Of Spacebar Slanting?

wildlife

26 Aug 2014, 14:34

Okay, so I got my Cherry G80-3000 not so long ago, I woke up this morning and as I started to type I started messing up with spaces in between words, my spacebar has seemed to mess up, I can only use the middle & right side of the spacebar. When I press down the left side of the spacebar the left side slants down and the right side goes up, also the left side doesn't register on my computer, it also doesn't have the audible click of the Cherry MX Blues, does anyone know how to fix this? :cry:

Nuum

26 Aug 2014, 14:37

Seems like the stabilizer underneath the spacebar is somehow broken, try to pull off the spacebar and see if something doesn't look right.

wildlife

26 Aug 2014, 15:00

I'm not an expert on this stuff, does this look right?

http://www.share.pho.to/6tshO

EDIT : Nevermind, the spacebar is MX Cherry Green, but the rest of the keyboard is Blues, still having the problem though, can anyone recognize what's wrong?

Nuum

26 Aug 2014, 15:16

The stabilizer wire seems to be a bit askew, maybe that's the problem. Cherry MX Green should still click, though.

TheNacho
delicious.

26 Aug 2014, 15:17

The stabilizer wire is not correctly seated in the right stabilizer-holder thing (has it got another name, I don't know..), just compare how the wire is clicked into place on the left black thing, it should be done the same way on the right.

EDIT: The stem that slots into the spacebar has a hole where the wire should go through, check if the wire is positioned correctly in the stem, then you should also be able to click it into place on the holder thing

EDIT2: Image
Best closeup of a cherry style stab I could find

wildlife

26 Aug 2014, 15:50

I don't understand, where is the 'stabilizer holder' ? I cannot seem to see it, also from the photo you gave me, How can I see them at that angle? do I have to take them out?

TheNacho
delicious.

26 Aug 2014, 16:05

I added some lines to your picture. Green is how it should be, the wire is correctly seated. If you compare that to the red line, you can see that the wire is lower and its not hooked into the black plastic housing. Normally its a fix that takes no more than a few seconds but its sorta hard to describe for me.

But no, you shouldn't have to take out the stabilizer

wildlife

26 Aug 2014, 16:27

I tried pushing the stabilizer bar up into place to no avail, could you please do those lines on these close-ups so I can have a better look?

http://imgur.com/a/eAyp8

Halvar

26 Aug 2014, 16:46

If everything works right, if you lift up the left hand black mounting cross, the right hand black mounting cross should come up, too.

On the photo, it looks like the right hand part of the wire came out of its "hinge". But before you can put it back in, you have to make sure that the right end of the wire correctly reaches into the right hand stem. You might have to lift the stem up to put the end of the wire in again in the correct way. Just look at how it works on the left side.

wildlife

26 Aug 2014, 16:54

When I lift the left hand black mounting cross, the right comes up, so that's a good sign?

wildlife

26 Aug 2014, 17:00

Okay, I've got it kinda working, now on the left side I have to push it the full way down to the board to make it register/click or to feel the "bump" , so it's uneven, and I don't think I could work with that, any ideas?

EDIT: It's also still slanting.

wildlife

26 Aug 2014, 22:39

Still having this problem, I can't seem to fix it, can someone please help me? Now when I push down the left side of the keyboard it only actuates when it hits the very bottom of the board, quite annoying.

Muirium
µ

27 Aug 2014, 00:54

Need a new picture to see what's going on. There's a slot in each stabiliser's stem where the end of the wire should go, while the wire is also clipped back into its mounts on the plate. When done right, both stems should move simultaneously, and everything should look symmetric.

Daniel Beardsmore

27 Aug 2014, 01:05

They're actually a real hassle to figure out how to reassemble — if it were me I'd just remove the whole thing from the PCB and put it back together in my hand instead of trying to do it with the assembly still mounted.

andrewjoy

27 Aug 2014, 10:54

The stem for the stabilizer that holds the wire may be in its casing the wrong way around i have done that myself before !

It is usually easier to do with the case off

wildlife

27 Aug 2014, 12:56

This is my spacebar as of now:

http://www.share.pho.to/6uchH

Muirium
µ

27 Aug 2014, 13:02

Looks right, from what that image shows:

But Daniel's right, it's a puzzle that's easier to solve when you can see what you're doing. How did you knock it out, by the way? If it just popped out for no apparent reason, the little clip could be broken which spells trouble.

wildlife

27 Aug 2014, 13:16

I didn't even take the spacebar off until I realized what was happening with the left side, so yes, it popped out for no apparent reason, should I contact Cherry?

Muirium
µ

27 Aug 2014, 13:43

It's a new board, right? If you haven't worked out how to fix it in a day or two, get in touch with them. If something's broken, hopefully it's under warranty. But you need to rule out obvious stuff first. I haven't had a stab just pop out by itself before though…

Return to “Keyboards”