Bulding a converter for an old Palm keyboard

richardtheb

30 Sep 2014, 03:43

Hey all, I am trying to build a device that allows me to use an old Palm portable keyboard as a USB device (so it can connect to a PC). I've managed to read data off the keyboard (it uses a serial connection with a bit of tweaking: you have to keep DTR high to activate it, and look out for an activation code), and now want to start connecting a Teensyduino to this to do the conversion. I've done some poking around at converter firmwares (like Slopeys), but I can't seem to see one that could handle a serial keyboard rather than a PS/2 one. Am I missing something? What would you recommend as the best converter to start with?

Thanks in advance,

Richard

Findecanor

30 Sep 2014, 05:39

In the keyboard DIY community we tend to choose AVR-GCC over Arduino's environment. You could look at Hasu's TMK keyboard converter/adapter/controller firmware. It works with the Teensy and may work with other AVR cards that are smaller/cheaper. There are several source files for other serial/like protocols that you could use as a starting point.

richardtheb

30 Sep 2014, 16:12

Findecandor, thanks for the pointer. I shall take a look at TMK Keyboard as a starting point. I wasn't restricting myself to using the Arduino environment, just using that as the hardware basis.

quantalume

30 Sep 2014, 19:43

I don't know the specifics of your keyboard, but I'd also consider bypassing the internal electronics entirely and going direct to the matrix. Soarer's controller is particularly easy to set up in this regard. No need to recompile, just call out your matrix lines and build the key table.

richardtheb

30 Sep 2014, 19:58

Quantalume, I did think about that. But I'd rather come up with a solution that uses the existing connections, as that seems more elegant, and might be a better, more general purpose solution for other types of keyboards like this as well.

But I might get in there and remove the existing controller at some point.

Return to “Workshop”