split stenograph with numpad

xman

15 Sep 2014, 11:22

t> @xman Yah I also got the spring cutting technique from Tim Tyler, but he didn't really give details so I had to do a bunch of experiments to come up with the 1.5->1.0cm cut.

I think you're correct, he did not say what specific shortened coiledspring length he used.
He may have adjusted by weight/force instead of coiledspring length.
I had to do experiments also.

t> Have you just played around with modification or are you actually using a modified keyboard?

Both. Yes I have played around with modifying uninstalled stand-alone MX switches.
Yes I do actually use (not all the time) an old Cherry keyboard that I modified so most of its MX switches have low force actuation (for my wife, but she decided not to use it, so I will use it sometimes, until she changes her mind).

Squeaky Wheel

02 Oct 2014, 13:19

Did you finish it yet? Wanna make one for me? :D

ماء

02 Oct 2014, 14:29

interest this is i prefer original design 30%
but looks complicated to type it make a lot layers?

trishume

02 Oct 2014, 17:41

The hardware is finished, I'm using it full time now, just as a regular keyboard instead of a chording one.

I'm going to start writing chording firmware using the Velotype layout very soon. I ran a whole bunch of language research scripts and got tons of data and used that to design some new layouts but they weren't as good as Velotype. If I can't have very powerful programs design a layout better than Velotype it's probably pretty good, I'm just going to use it.

I won't make anyone else one but I posted a build log explaining how I made it:
http://thume.ca/2014/09/08/creating-a-k ... -hardware/

altemark

21 Oct 2014, 20:29

Wow! I use a Velotype (not very proficient at typing, but I know my way around it) and this is an amazing project! Go go go!

trishume

09 Nov 2014, 21:49

Just an update: I finally wrote the firmware for doing chorded typing on my keyboard. I typed my first "the quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog" in VeloType today at around 2WPM.

I still have a ways to go before I reach 200WPM...

Return to “Workshop”