Red mx cherry sources

neverused

28 Oct 2014, 04:42

Hello,

I am very interested in building my own custom ten-key keyboard, but as of right now am shorter on funds that I would like for sourcing Red MX Cherry switches.  I was going to try to find a keyboard on eBay if needed, hopefully being able to reuse the same key caps too.

My question is:  do any of you have some suggestions on keyboards new or old that would be a good source for parts for this project?  I plan on buying a teensy++ and probably having the case laser cut in acrylic/ possibly steel, but very much in the same vein as the brown fox.

Thank you so much for your help, I hope this is the correct section for this topic.

Best,
neverused

DanielT
Un petit village gaulois d'Armorique…

29 Oct 2014, 08:19

You can make your own MX Reds, get a dirt cheap Cherry board with MX Black and some light springs, don't know if sprit has any spares but you can get some from originativeco.com 50 or 55g springs will do it. The price of the springs is between 8-10$ for 100pcs depending on where you are located shipping is in the 10$ range, a cheap Cherry board can be around 10-20$ plus shipping. New MX Reds are 0.65EUR a piece so you can compare and see if it's cheaper this way.
You also could get lucky and find a board with MX Reds but a cheap one is a rare find because this type of switch is a newer design so only newer boards have them.

cookie

29 Oct 2014, 10:05

^this is actually a verry smart idea!
I have some MX and german caps around, if you are interested, PM me!

DanielT

29 Oct 2014, 10:35

Actually this is what I'm doing right now. Bought a lot of cheap MX Blacks and ordered springs from sprit and going to have ultra light Reds with 50g golden springs :D
The good part of using old MX Blacks is that the switches are really smooth, not scratchy like the new ones. The result is a super smooth MX Red, very nice feeling.

Muirium
µ

29 Oct 2014, 11:43

I've got a bag full of vintage blacks that could use a bit of this. Have you any spare springs? Or should I turn to the source?
sprit1 wrote: 50g 55g, 78g, some Stocks available,

60g, 62g, 65g, 68g, 100g Also Avail :)

DanielT

29 Oct 2014, 11:58

I can spare only some samples like 10pcs of 50g and 10pcs of 55g. But you can go to the source and order and tell him to ship the stuff with my order. Due to some circumstances my stuff will be delivered directly from Korea, so you can save on the shipping, and I will send you all the stuff in one package :)

Muirium
µ

29 Oct 2014, 12:05

Intriguing! I may well take you up on that offer, as we wait for Granite Round 2 anyway.

DanielT

29 Oct 2014, 12:26

And we still have to wait for Granite, got an update from MassDrop it seems that the contact person from SP is on child birth leave, so it will take some time to get an update regarding the production.

Muirium
µ

29 Oct 2014, 12:28

Melissa is away? Uh oh! I really hope Round 5 has shipped to 7bit or we won't see it this year!

DanielT

29 Oct 2014, 12:36

Muirium wrote: Melissa is away? Uh oh! I really hope Round 5 has shipped to 7bit or we won't see it this year!
Only 7bit can clear this ..... :mrgreen:

Muirium
µ

29 Oct 2014, 12:42

Oh brother!

Anywho, Sprit agreed to my request and so I have 100x 50g springs on their way to you, with no additional postage fee. Thanks Daniel!

DanielT

29 Oct 2014, 12:50

Muirium wrote: Oh brother!

Anywho, Sprit agreed to my request and so I have 100x 50g springs on their way to you, with no additional postage fee. Thanks Daniel!
Cool :) It is my pleasure, it didn't make sense for you to pay shipping just for the springs. Have to put on our list also the springs, your package is growing by the day :geek:

Return to “Workshop”