I want to try MX Clears

JackMills

13 Nov 2014, 16:00

Yslen wrote: ...
Correct :) Comes to about £79 + shipping. Bit of a wait at the moment though.

https://ctrlalt.io/store/items/jd40
6-10 weeks seems acceptable to me, considering I am waiting for my Leopold FC660M (with Clears, to stay kinda on topic) from MassDrop and will have to wait for the Infinity as well.
Seems waiting is a part of the keyboard game.

Yslen

13 Nov 2014, 16:01

Depends whether a 40% board is what you want! :D

JackMills

13 Nov 2014, 16:07

Yslen wrote: Depends whether a 40% board is what you want! :D
They also have a 60% keyboard available, with the option for MX clears. That could also be a viable option for an UK based person (with time and/or money to spend)

Yslen

13 Nov 2014, 16:08

Yeah, it's a GON, so super nice, but expensive.

Ellis

13 Nov 2014, 17:37

Laser wrote: Perhaps this, then? (DE layout) - seems to be the LQC version:

(but you'll probably have to inquire further)

http://www.amazon.de/Cherry-G80-3000-Ta ... B000KN43CS
This looks like it could be an option! I'll have a look into it.
deadsea wrote: http://deskthority.net/vendors-f52/keyc ... 82-60.html

Here's a vendor on the forums. I was planning to get from him initially, but i found a better deal on taobao.com.

Direct link to the clear board in his store.
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product ... 91288.html

If you do shop around on aliexpress, do remember that keycool has mostly switched to kaliah switch aka clone mx.
Hmm, this seems kinda expensive. I'd prefer to get something more locally, and cheaper, and perhaps pick up something more expensive later on if I get on well with clears.
JaccoW wrote: Your cheapest option is probably a SkiData board. It has a German QWERTZ ISO G80-1800 layout and has a PS/2 connection but it feels great.

Best of all, no import costs and you could probably sell the board at a profit when you take everything apart.
Crazy looking thing. I think the G80 might be cheaper as well, but I can always keep that one in mind.
Yslen wrote:
JackMills wrote:
Muirium wrote: Built in Britain? Is Pexon making them? (For those who haven't heard of it, the JD40 is a kit keyboard.)
Aren't these sold by CtrlAlt.io with assembly by Margo and isn't he UK-based?
Correct :) Comes to about £79 + shipping. Bit of a wait at the moment though.

https://ctrlalt.io/store/items/jd40
Maybe I try one of these out. I can't really see myself using a 40% board but it would give me a chance to try the switches and I assume hold a decent enough resale value. I'm in no rush.
JackMills wrote:
Yslen wrote: Depends whether a 40% board is what you want! :D
They also have a 60% keyboard available, with the option for MX clears. That could also be a viable option for an UK based person (with time and/or money to spend)
Lovely, I'm guessing, but dat price.

I'm not entirely opposed to spending a lot on a keyboard but I'd want to know that it's something I'd feel like keeping for a while. Having currently only tried Brown switches, I really don't have enough to go on :D

e: also, not sure on 60% either. TKL is probably my sweet spot.
Last edited by Ellis on 13 Nov 2014, 17:40, edited 1 time in total.

Muirium
µ

13 Nov 2014, 17:40

£79 without caps, no doubt. (Which are a challenge for that layout. I've had lots of inquiries about mine.) You're getting talked straight into boutique boards. Be wary!

Ellis

13 Nov 2014, 17:44

Muirium wrote: £79 without caps, no doubt. (Which are a challenge for that layout. I've had lots of inquiries about mine.) You're getting talked straight into boutique boards. Be wary!
Ha, you're right! What would be a particular challenge for that layout, apart from most kits providing more keys than you need? Does it require a specific profile?

JaccoW

13 Nov 2014, 17:46

Ellis wrote:
JaccoW wrote: Your cheapest option is probably a SkiData board. It has a German QWERTZ ISO G80-1800 layout and has a PS/2 connection but it feels great.

Best of all, no import costs and you could probably sell the board at a profit when you take everything apart.
Crazy looking thing. I think the G80 might be cheaper as well, but I can always keep that one in mind.
The SkiData has the much nicer Cherry doubleshots. :P

deadsea

14 Nov 2014, 02:29

Ellis wrote:
Muirium wrote: £79 without caps, no doubt. (Which are a challenge for that layout. I've had lots of inquiries about mine.) You're getting talked straight into boutique boards. Be wary!
Ha, you're right! What would be a particular challenge for that layout, apart from most kits providing more keys than you need? Does it require a specific profile?
Well, boutique you say, there was that hot swap capable (switches and led) keyboard that was supposedly being made...
Excellent solution for the i want to try x switch/layout itch. Other than the cost of course :roll:

Ellis

14 Nov 2014, 13:44

deadsea wrote:
Ellis wrote:
Well, boutique you say, there was that hot swap capable (switches and led) keyboard that was supposedly being made...
Excellent solution for the i want to try x switch/layout itch. Other than the cost of course :roll:
Without knowing anything more than what you've just said, I'm pretty sure it's too expensive for me :P

JackMills

15 Nov 2014, 10:58

Ellis wrote:
deadsea wrote: Well, boutique you say, there was that hot swap capable (switches and led) keyboard that was supposedly being made...
Without knowing anything more than what you've just said, I'm pretty sure it's too expensive for me :P
If deadsea means this one https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=61714.0, it is estimated to be around $300 if it would come to a GB.

I was trying to find a cheaper model with clears from an european vendor as well, but then I just joined the MassDrop for the Leopold FC660M with clears. If you do find a good source, please post it here, you never know if I would like the clears a lot and if I would like to procure a second board with clears.

Ellis

15 Nov 2014, 21:26

JackMills wrote:
Ellis wrote:
deadsea wrote: Well, boutique you say, there was that hot swap capable (switches and led) keyboard that was supposedly being made...
If deadsea means this one https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=61714.0, it is estimated to be around $300 if it would come to a GB.

I was trying to find a cheaper model with clears from an european vendor as well, but then I just joined the MassDrop for the Leopold FC660M with clears. If you do find a good source, please post it here, you never know if I would like the clears a lot and if I would like to procure a second board with clears.
Ack, yeah, I'm not paying $300 for sure.

Do any of the TKL Leopolds come with clear switches? I had a search around but couldn't find much information on the different Leopold models available, and the switches each one is available with.

Laser
emacs -nw

15 Nov 2014, 21:40

Some Leopold models from QTan's store have the "Clear" switch option included.

Ellis

16 Nov 2014, 13:39

Laser wrote: Some Leopold models from QTan's store have the "Clear" switch option included.
Hm, that could be an option. It's on the pricier side of what I want to spend, but I'll keep it in mind.

Willwas

21 Nov 2014, 11:09

Cherry G80-3000 with clears would be even cheaper (~50€+shipping).

Ellis

21 Nov 2014, 13:54

Willwas wrote: Cherry G80-3000 with clears would be even cheaper (~50€+shipping).
Ended up getting a Poker X. It'll be a little experiment, and I'll eventually change the current switches in there to MX Clears.

PaiCrai

23 Nov 2014, 19:08

http://www.mechanicalkeyboards.com/sear ... n_stock=on judging from the title i found you these mechs with clears that are in stock (which honestly isnt hard to do yourself :P), or you can buy a switch tester from anywhere

Ellis

23 Nov 2014, 22:35

PaiCrai wrote: http://www.mechanicalkeyboards.com/sear ... n_stock=on judging from the title i found you these mechs with clears that are in stock (which honestly isnt hard to do yourself :P), or you can buy a switch tester from anywhere
The issue is cost - the CODE, for instance, would be $200 shipped, and that's before even thinking about VAT, customs fees, and handling charges.

Ellis

25 Nov 2014, 14:33

So, would I be correct in thinking that the normal procedure is to fit out the entire board with MX Clears, except for the space bar where a Tactile Grey will be used?

Halvar

25 Nov 2014, 14:40

Cherry does it this way, yes. On the other hand my MX Brown Filco has a brown switch also under the space bar. Like everything in a custom keyboard, it's a matter of taste...

Ellis

25 Nov 2014, 14:44

Halvar wrote: Cherry does it this way, yes. On the other hand my MX Brown Filco has a brown switch also under the space bar. Like everything in a custom keyboard, it's a matter of taste...
Well, so does mine, but that's not got MX Clears. Or do you mean that all Cherry boards, regardless of the primary switch, have Tactile Greys under the space bar?

Yup, I guess the best thing is that I can put whatever switch I want anywhere, although I thought I'd start with whatever most boards tend to do.

HzFaq

25 Nov 2014, 14:50

Cherry branded boards (G80s etc) normally have a heavier spacebar switch; FIlco, don't in my experience but I couldn't say about CM/Ducky or any of the other big brands.

I like having a heavier spacebar personally, but it is one of those personal taste things.

Oh, clicky white Esc is another favourite of mine, try that too ;).

Ellis

25 Nov 2014, 14:57

HzFaq wrote: Cherry branded boards (G80s etc) normally have a heavier spacebar switch; FIlco, don't in my experience but I couldn't say about CM/Ducky or any of the other big brands.

I like having a heavier spacebar personally, but it is one of those personal taste things.

Oh, clicky white Esc is another favourite of mine, try that too ;).
You guys are awful for my wallet, I'll probably have a shipment of 60x every Cherry MX type available on the way soon :lol:

But really, I think I'll start with a bunch of Clears and a Tactile Grey for the space bar.

I had a Ducky Shine once (not sure which generation, with MX Browns) and I think that had something heavier on the space bar. It might have even been a Clear.

HzFaq

25 Nov 2014, 15:05

Once you've got (or at least tried) each of the Cherry switchs it gets less painful on the wallet - unless you veer from the Cherry path and start wandering down the Topre/Alps/IBM path in which case I wish you good luck :D.

You've made a good move with the Poker though, you can change most of the switches with a couple of screwdrivers in an hour or so which was probably my favourite thing about it. For all its flaws, the mod-ability (?) of it is really nice.

Halvar

25 Nov 2014, 15:24

Ellis wrote: Well, so does mine, but that's not got MX Clears. Or do you mean that all Cherry boards, regardless of the primary switch, have Tactile Greys under the space bar?
No, I mean that Cherry always uses a heavier switch under the space bar. For MX blue boards, they use MX green (= clicky but heavier than MX blue), for MX black they use MX linear grey, and for MX clear, they use MX tactile grey.

SL89

25 Nov 2014, 15:33

Halvar wrote:
Ellis wrote: Well, so does mine, but that's not got MX Clears. Or do you mean that all Cherry boards, regardless of the primary switch, have Tactile Greys under the space bar?
No, I mean that Cherry always uses a heavier switch under the space bar. For MX blue boards, they use MX green (= clicky but heavier than MX blue), for MX black they use MX linear grey, and for MX clear, they use MX tactile grey.
Naively when i bought my CODE, I was informed that sort of thing (little did i know it was usually for Cherry boards proper, not boards with cherry switches. i was expecting to find something magical and heavier then the standard Greens under the spacebar and i was so disappointed at first lol.

Ellis

25 Nov 2014, 16:00

HzFaq wrote: Once you've got (or at least tried) each of the Cherry switchs it gets less painful on the wallet - unless you veer from the Cherry path and start wandering down the Topre/Alps/IBM path in which case I wish you good luck :D.

You've made a good move with the Poker though, you can change most of the switches with a couple of screwdrivers in an hour or so which was probably my favourite thing about it. For all its flaws, the mod-ability (?) of it is really nice.
Ha, hopefully.

I think so too, and I have quite a good start with its current switches since it has a few MX Blues, all of the letters are MX Blacks, and the numbers are MX Reds. I quite like typing on the MX Blacks actually, they're heavy enough that the lack of a tactile bump doesn't mean you bottom out every time.
Halvar wrote:
Ah, gotcha, sorry.

Return to “Keyboards”