Keyboard oh shit moments ?

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

20 Aug 2014, 21:55

madhias wrote: Who at IBM is responsible for this hole? After finishing a bolt mod operation (which i canceled, ordered other screws, to make it like Phosphorglow), i thought that i forgot one screw. Everything was tightened, so i added another screw... But there is no hole in the metal frame on the other side! CRACK! Now there is a little crack in the nice, beige frame, which i fixed with glue.

Done that more than once. Now I just do my bolt mods with the head of the screws on the bottom of the metal backplate.

Madhias
BS TORPE

20 Aug 2014, 22:20

prdlm2009 wrote: Done that more than once. Now I just do my bolt mods with the head of the screws on the bottom of the metal backplate.
Me too, i didn't finish this bolt mod and canceled this operation. Ordered a lot of different screws, especially counter sunk bolts. My fault was to take the first guide i found and used it. Damn you Ripster, damn you.

scottc

20 Aug 2014, 22:37

madhias wrote:
prdlm2009 wrote: Done that more than once. Now I just do my bolt mods with the head of the screws on the bottom of the metal backplate.
Me too, i didn't finish this bolt mod and canceled this operation. Ordered a lot of different screws, especially counter sunk bolts. My fault was to take the first guide i found and used it. Damn you Ripster, damn you.
I never finished mine either... bah!

Muirium
µ

21 Aug 2014, 01:21

I did, but I used bolts that were too long to fit comfortably back inside the case. Need to swap some out for something shorter sometime.

And yes, Ripster's guide came up in my research but didn't wind up being that useful. He hurried over the important bits.

Hypersphere

21 Aug 2014, 01:45

Muirium wrote: I did, but I used bolts that were too long to fit comfortably back inside the case. Need to swap some out for something shorter sometime.

And yes, Ripster's guide came up in my research but didn't wind up being that useful. He hurried over the important bits.
I suppose you could cut off the excess from the long bolts.

Muirium
µ

21 Aug 2014, 01:54

Yeah, I considered sawing them, and tried on a spare bolt, but it's too damn fiddly on M2. The other option would be to trim them with some sufficiently vicious clippers.

Madhias
BS TORPE

21 Aug 2014, 08:44

Hypersphere wrote:
Muirium wrote: I did, but I used bolts that were too long to fit comfortably back inside the case. Need to swap some out for something shorter sometime.

I suppose you could cut off the excess from the long bolts.
But only if you want to fiddel around with M2 screws and want to be cheap - but doesn't that fit to scottish people :lol:
I paid for some nice fitting screws for 100 pieces € 4,58; and the more expensive version (hex socket) was € 11,98, also for 100 pieces. It took me 3 orders to get the screws i want/need...
Spoiler:
This was just the last order, with all being counter sunk screws:

Halvar

21 Aug 2014, 10:18

Any recommendations on what kind I would ultimately need and where I can get them? You scared me a bit now...

Madhias
BS TORPE

21 Aug 2014, 10:47

Phosphorglow or other experienced people will have the ultimately correct answer, since i'm rather an amateur regarding bolt modding. My last order was DIN 7982 A2 2,2X6,5 screws, but also DIN 7991 A2 M2X6 screws (and also a longer variant M2x8), and lots of other sizes. I can recommend this shop, the shipping is very fast, for Germany €4.5,- shipping.

Halvar

21 Aug 2014, 11:00

Ah, thank you, appreciate it! I have questions but this is getting off-topic. I need to read up first and ask when I really start doing this.

DanielT
Un petit village gaulois d'Armorique…

25 Aug 2014, 11:59

This topic is really interesting :D Now thinking of "oh shit" moments I realize that we Romanians use a lot of profanity in such moments, in fact using profanity is a second nature to us is part of our culture in a strange way. Even my 4 year old daughter has learned, don't know where from :evilgeek: , some really bad words.
From my experience, travels etc the only people who could compete with us were the Irish guys, it was a real pleasure to work with them :D
There is also an anecdote regarding this: By the end of the 19th century the French send some engineers to help building the Romanian railroad system, after working for a while with my fellow citizens they concluded that the thing than makes our nation move is the use of profanity :evilgeek:

andrewjoy

25 Aug 2014, 12:01

DanielT wrote: This topic is really interesting :D Now thinking of "oh shit" moments I realize that we Romanians use a lot of profanity in such moments, in fact using profanity is a second nature to us is part of our culture in a strange way. Even my 4 year old daughter has learned, don't know where from :evilgeek: , some really bad words.
From my experience, travels etc the only people who could compete with us were the Irish guys, it was a real pleasure to work with them :D
There is also an anecdote regarding this: By the end of the 19th century the French send some engineers to help building the Romanian railroad system, after working for a while with my fellow citizens they concluded that the thing than makes our nation move is the use of profanity :evilgeek:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdkN57xvekI

DanielT

25 Aug 2014, 12:30

:lol: :lol: yep, something like that :lol: :lol:
I love when I can share that kind of language :) Especially when you work with software, computers/servers and operating systems in production (that reads big money involved), you get a lot of "oh shit" moments, and this is kind of pressure valve, and when you work with international teams, having someone on the other end of the line sharing the same "passion" makes things easier :)

Halvar

25 Aug 2014, 13:04

For programmers: Amount of swearing vs. programming language:
https://github.com/Dobiasd/programming- ... ds#cursing

The result isn't really surprising ...

DanielT

25 Aug 2014, 13:23

True :) I'm not surprised by php :lol:

Muirium
µ

25 Aug 2014, 16:51

In a league of its own.

The one that creeps me out is VB!

andrewjoy

26 Aug 2014, 00:34

VB creeps everyone out! Let me guess most of them where saying VB is shit or VB is crap :D.

andrewjoy

21 Oct 2014, 17:13

not keyboard but tech related

i get to work in the afternoon as i am doing a phased start in my new job

i go into the server room and what do i find

the air con is leaking all over the floor

on my second day!!!

ماء

21 Oct 2014, 17:34

when the only my keyboard is broken on spacebar i can't used i tried desolder but yeah..
Spoiler:
8-) and the trace are broken bcs desolder

chzel

21 Oct 2014, 17:44

Wow!
Tell the truth, you used a blowtorch, didn't you?

bhtooefr

21 Oct 2014, 18:00

I'm wondering if part of that is who codes VB code, and what is written in VB.

So, so much VB code is custom SRS BSNS line of business code. And, it's often written by entry-level programmers, and maybe they're afraid their boss will read the comments.

ماء

21 Oct 2014, 18:06

chzel wrote: Wow!
Tell the truth, you used a blowtorch, didn't you?
: Lol: no, idk how good desolder I've seen the video but not easy to practice I think my pump is bad because it is cheap.
when I desolder, I too piercing into the PCB and the temperature is very hot, my head getting dizzy

chzel

21 Oct 2014, 18:14

Practice, practice!
And stop sniffing the fumes!!!

ماء

21 Oct 2014, 18:30

yup , i always practice desolder but still no good always late to take the tenol from the switches with pump
then I found this idea and is very effective for me 8-)
Spoiler:
ImageImage

rofltheory

26 Nov 2014, 09:53

Was playing league of legends and drinking coffee and tried to put the glass down and spilled tons of coffee all over the keyboard, thank god I was drinking it black :/

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

26 Nov 2014, 11:10

When I've seen this:
:o WTF ?!? I know some people (like myself) do not really like Topre RF, but that´s just retarded!

Daniel Beardsmore

26 Nov 2014, 22:25

It didn't elicit much of a reaction, but it's unfortunate that something must have fallen on this keyboard:
Doh.jpg
Doh.jpg (732.33 KiB) Viewed 5056 times

woody
Count Troller

27 Nov 2014, 00:35

Once I knocked an opened bottle of acetone over the bottom case of my then main (and only) keyboard G84-4100. Not very pretty to look at, but not noticeable in normal position.

andrewjoy

10 Dec 2014, 13:50

This is turning into a general fail thread but i just had to share this .

this was left by one of the pervious it staff

vhost config file

Code: Select all

<Directory "/data/vhosts/intranet.*******.co.uk/html">
                Order deny,allow
                # Allow access from local network
                Allow from <internal range>
                Allow from 84.**.***.*** #****** home
                # Deny from everyone else
                Deny from all
                AllowOverride All
        </Directory>
ok whats wrong with this ?( i have removed personal info and ip addresses)

First of all websites stored in /data ? whats wrong with /var/www ?
Second, don't put your home ip address in the allow section of an internal website especially with your name next to it. Also being on a home connection it will more than likely not be a static ip so its a massive security risk exposing the internal intranet to an external DHCP ip,.

bhtooefr

10 Dec 2014, 16:22

I'm not so worried about them using a different directory hierarchy especially considering that they use vhosts.

And, I'm weird, and follow the FHS in ways that literally nobody does, and my website is at /srv/www.
Filesystem Hierarchy Standard 2.3 Chapter 3 wrote:/srv contains site-specific data which is served by this system.
Filesystem Hierarchy Standard 2.3 Chapter 5 wrote:/var contains variable data files. This includes spool directories and files, administrative and logging data, and transient and temporary files.
And, the FHS even specifically suggests putting www in /srv.

Return to “Off-topic”