My SSK is here!

andrewjoy

23 Jan 2015, 20:40

what the desk or the ansi mod ?

elecplus

23 Jan 2015, 20:47

Just curious, did anyone have problems with damaged packaging or keyboards? Does customs even open the boxes to check inside?

Cindy

snoopy

23 Jan 2015, 20:49

andrewjoy wrote: what the desk or the ansi mod ?
desk with beamspring :)

snoopy

23 Jan 2015, 20:50

elecplus wrote: Just curious, did anyone have problems with damaged packaging or keyboards? Does customs even open the boxes to check inside?

Cindy
mine was perfectly packaged and nothing happened. Customs also didn't open the package.

chzel

23 Jan 2015, 20:51

elecplus wrote: Just curious, did anyone have problems with damaged packaging or keyboards? Does customs even open the boxes to check inside?

Cindy
Definitely no in my case!
I doubt they even saw it go through customs (ninja SSK)!

Muirium
µ

23 Jan 2015, 20:53

I reckon Andy's has been tampered with good! They like to take a good peek and then charge you for their service here.

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

23 Jan 2015, 21:25

snoopy wrote: I think I have 6 SSKs. This should be number 7 and 8. Currently no need to open them. Maybe in 10 or 20 years...
hmm that's not how I collect but it's all preference of course. Then again these NIB SSK's are a good investment. Who knows what they will be worth in 15-20 years! I "only" have two that I use. One is taobao sourced, the other one is Madhias sourced! :lol:

Muirium
µ

27 Jan 2015, 13:57

Andy: did you get the ransom note yet? They're taking their sweet time…

andrewjoy

27 Jan 2015, 14:16

just got it today, they need to send the bill to me no option to just pay it online, and hear i am thinking its 2015 and not 1915

If they have opened it i will not be happy! only way i would be happy is if they broke the SSK and then ran over to the closest keyboard that they could find to replace it and only where able to find a 62 key mode F :)

Muirium
µ

27 Jan 2015, 14:28

Your tracking should say where it is now, where you should visit in person to finish this. I vaguely remember the same slow-mo rigmarole when I imported my first SSK. It's better when they just write the bloody number on the card.

That trip to the mail sorting depot when you have no idea how much hurt is in store for your wallet… yeah, I remember that well!

andrewjoy

27 Jan 2015, 14:31

it was yesterday i got the message sorry not today . anyway , says that i have been "notified" but i have not

https://tools.usps.com/go/TrackConfirmA ... 22486885US

Muirium
µ

27 Jan 2015, 14:53

Being notified. Everything takes ages with them:

http://deskthority.net/vendors-f52/hone ... ms#p189264

One time I chased them up, by internet or phone, and wound up with the goods in hand before the card ever showed up. It was either my first SSK or the 4x Kishsaver proxy. Long enough back I can't remember the details.

If you live close to your local Royal Mail depot, could be worthwhile paying them a visit. Bring photo ID and your tracking number.

Or be patient, and do the same but armed with their ransom!

andrewjoy

27 Jan 2015, 15:03

its quite close ,i dunno if its the main distribution centre but its where everything goes when i need to pick it up as well as where i had to pay for the model f controller

andrewjoy

27 Jan 2015, 20:04

and the ransom note arrived

40.94 GBP

and i am guessing i am paying import tax on the shipping as well as part of that

even though the shipping money is going nowhere near the UK

fuckers

Muirium
µ

28 Jan 2015, 01:40

Predictable fuckers, too…

http://deskthority.net/photos-f62/my-ss ... ml#p204946

There's no logic in taxing shipping, but they do. My pet theory is that the government uses the customs system as a way to pay bills with its shipping partners. Parcelforce gets to demand what they feel like!

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

28 Jan 2015, 08:36

Muirium wrote: Predictable fuckers, too…

http://deskthority.net/photos-f62/my-ss ... ml#p204946

There's no logic in taxing shipping, but they do. My pet theory is that the government uses the customs system as a way to pay bills with its shipping partners. Parcelforce gets to demand what they feel like!
Absolutely. In germany it`s simply a cash cow for the goverment. They don`t even deny it, and there`s no use fighting it. I`ve read of cases where they (Zoll) made really obvious mistakes, breaking their own rules and the owner still could not do jack about it, even after getting a laywer.

Muirium
µ

01 Feb 2015, 00:00

Mine's here now too…

http://deskthority.net/post207107.html#p207107

And not a letter in sight!

chzel

01 Feb 2015, 00:02

Looking good!

Muirium
µ

01 Feb 2015, 00:08

Thanks. Feels pretty good too. I can hear a few loose rivets inside, but I didn't go any further before sealing it back up for another day. This is the one keyboard I can take Webwit's approach with now: one for daily use, one for storing just in case. This wee guy's from 1991. Perhaps I'll let it out in 2021… depends how much life my Lexmark SSK has got!

photekq
Cherry Picker

01 Feb 2015, 00:11

My proxy got the SSK a few days ago..

http://imgur.com/a/dnNv0

andrewjoy

01 Feb 2015, 00:25

Muirium wrote: Mine's here now too…

And not a letter in sight!
Thats not fair :(

Muirium
µ

01 Feb 2015, 01:29

Sure it is. You paid for both of us!

@Photekq: no picture of the birth certificate? Yours looks very similar indeed to mine, and several people lucky enough to get these awesome blue box grey label SSKs.

andrewjoy

01 Feb 2015, 11:26

aye blue box, grey label . Mine is all in the box ready to go to work with a blue cube and a short USB extension :) will need USB hub for my mac now as it only comes with 2 usb ports

i want a silver label SSK :( like the early model m's that had to super thick backplate.

In fact i want any silver label M .

scottc

01 Feb 2015, 12:11

I've got a silver label '87 terminal M and it feels the best of all my Ms to me. Maybe it's just in better condition, I'm not sure.

Muirium
µ

01 Feb 2015, 12:14

They do vary quite a bit. Another advantage of Model Fs: I've never felt a truly bad one. Ms meanwhile…

andrewjoy

01 Feb 2015, 12:16

was it the 50 key model m that was like a modded model F ? it had F construction but with a membrane, i wonder if there where any standard model M,s or SSK in the ibm development lab like that ?

elecplus

16 Feb 2015, 04:51

andrewjoy wrote: In fact i want any silver label M .
Wish you had mentioned this when I was shipping your SSK... I have silver label Model Ms.

Maybe next time.

andrewjoy

16 Feb 2015, 10:47

elecplus wrote:
andrewjoy wrote: In fact i want any silver label M .
Wish you had mentioned this when I was shipping your SSK... I have silver label Model Ms.

Maybe next time.

if you still have them when i find a few more boards i want i will take it :)

Return to “Gallery”