HyperMicro madness

scottc

13 Jan 2015, 11:47

Suka 3D printed a case and plans on making it available later: http://deskthority.net/post202485.html#p202485

meow a cat

13 Jan 2015, 12:14

scottc wrote: Suka 3D printed a case and plans on making it available later: http://deskthority.net/post202485.html#p202485
Thanks for confirming! :mrgreen:

Looks like a nice case, almost like a baby version of a Poker case.

scottc

13 Jan 2015, 12:39

No problem :) Yep, it looks great.

suka
frobiac

17 Jan 2015, 00:02

Here is the latest case design:
No, I will not dremel precious caps for just this picture
No, I will not dremel precious caps for just this picture
HyperMicro-Case_TrackpointMounted.JPG (424.2 KiB) Viewed 9545 times
Credit where credit is due
Credit where credit is due
HyperMicro-Credit.JPG (212.19 KiB) Viewed 9545 times
  • *Can now easily accomodate different front button orientations via separate adapter parts
    *Micro usb fits perfectly
    *Trackpoint fits, adaptors work
    *More rigid design
    *Logo :D
Todo:
  • * Smaller support structures to clears solder points more easily
    * Trackpoint isolation and retention plate
    * Little higher to clear teensy and front buttons
    * Options to cover sides for other layouts
    * Front cover closer to switches
    * Also make USB outlet optional: Micro/Mini/Cable
    * Minor adjustments to
Stay tuned for the final revision, ETA 4 weeks from now :(

Tight, but it should work with either this adaptor or a needle in between
Tight, but it should work with either this adaptor or a needle in between
HyperMicro-Case_TrackpointPosition.JPG (445.24 KiB) Viewed 9545 times
Exchangable parts and open case
Exchangable parts and open case
HyperMicro-Case_parts.JPG (521.5 KiB) Viewed 9545 times
same
same
HyperMicro-Case_parts2.JPG (535.59 KiB) Viewed 9545 times

scottc

17 Jan 2015, 00:11

Ooh, that Trackpoint. The stems are very interesting. Is that from a small IBM scissor switch keyboard or a separate invention? If so, could you please tell me where to print some of those stems?

suka
frobiac

17 Jan 2015, 00:35

scottc wrote: Ooh, that Trackpoint. The stems are very interesting. Is that from a small IBM scissor switch keyboard or a separate invention? If so, could you please tell me where to print some of those stems?
The stems were also designed by me and printed on an industrial 3D printer. I'll gladly make the designs available when I have decided on sensible values for length and diameter, and whether an inserted steel pin is beneficial or not. But they basically are enhanced versions of the simple adaptor I built for my RedTilt board to clear the vertical space.

scottc

17 Jan 2015, 12:05

Very cool. Thank you. I've been limiting myself to trackpoints from the IBM Space Saver keyboard, whose trackpoint is long enough to be used in a Cherry MX board but a lot older and less featureful than newer models.

I forgot to say before, but nice logo! :D

Muirium
µ

26 Jan 2015, 18:38

Oh, now what have we here?
IMG_7166.JPG
IMG_7166.JPG (858.55 KiB) Viewed 7938 times
Thanks for the case, Suka! Now I need to figure out how to install the micro USB socket…

scottc

26 Jan 2015, 19:54

Wow, beautiful! Looks fantastic. I can't wait for my PCB!

Everyone: BUY MORE PCBS! :twisted: :evilgeek: :ugeek: :geek:

Madhias
BS TORPE

26 Jan 2015, 20:36

The case design is really nice, gorgeous!

Medowy

26 Jan 2015, 23:34

So any idea when these will be available for purchase? Can't wait :P

Muirium
µ

27 Jan 2015, 13:33

Suka did a great job. This is his prototype case, and there will be more when he's back from vacation.

There's removable tabs on the front, for the HyperMicro's 3 optional mouse buttons, and an elegant little micro USB port cutout on the back right corner for a user installed socket. That's the bit I need to source to complete my board. He even put a nice credit to 7bit on the back, engraved into the body, but it's soooooo dark here I couldn't get a decent picture of it. Where'd I put my damn flash…

araif

28 Feb 2015, 22:48

ok I really need one of those trackpoint stem :)

jonlorusso

01 Mar 2015, 22:59

Is it still possible to get a prototype PCB on this?

s.trooper

04 Mar 2015, 23:38

7bit

13 Mar 2015, 00:02

Yes, still possible to order.
:-)

Maybe, one day, they come in black.

BUT:
I need to know the diameter of the screws in a Filco tenkeyless. There are (as far as I remember) 2 littles screws that hold the plate against the bottom case. I need to know the diameter of it (not the head, the part with the helical ridge).
:o

Thanks!

7bit

15 Mar 2015, 09:45

Urgent:
To anybody who has a HyperMicro:
What is the angle if you put it on a table and the front-edge touches the surface completely?
:?

Thanks!

Halvar

15 Mar 2015, 13:55

Something between 4.8° and 5°, but the Teensy is pretty high on mine (3mm socket between PCB and Teensy).

7bit

15 Mar 2015, 18:04

Thanks!

Now, try again with a cable plugged in.
:evilgeek:

:roll:

Or just measure how tall it comes off from the PCB.
;-)

suka
frobiac

16 Mar 2015, 09:10

Did some more quick measurements this morning with the HyperMicro board:
Teensy mounted with 3mm spacers, USB connector facing away from PCB like in the picture just above, and _both_ front corners flush on the table raises the backside of the board by 10mm, which equates nicely to a 7° angle at the 81mm distance from the front.
I did not take any additional heights into account for the case design since I assumed everyone will at least be able to scrape of the plastics of a connector or even solder a small extension themselves to keep the angle that low.

EDIT: All of the above is without any cable attached!
Last edited by suka on 16 Mar 2015, 10:27, edited 1 time in total.

7bit

16 Mar 2015, 09:17

suka wrote: Did some more quick measurements this morning with the HyperMicro board:
Teensy mounted with 3mm spacers, USB connector facing away from PCB like in the picture just above, and _both_ front corners flush on the table raises the backside of the board by 10mm, which equates nicely to a 7° angle at the 81mm distance from the front.
I did not take any additional heights into account for the case design since I assumed everyone will at least be able to scrape of the plastics of a connector or even solder a small extension themselves to keep the angle that low.
7 degrees is with a cable mounted?
:?

Or just give me the height between PCB and USB cable.
:roll:

matt3o
-[°_°]-

16 Mar 2015, 09:20

keyboard back is raised by 12.5mm on the back (with cable)

7bit

16 Mar 2015, 09:43

OK, thanks!

matt3o
-[°_°]-

16 Mar 2015, 09:49

remember that cable connector sizes may vary. add some clearance.

jonlorusso

19 Mar 2015, 14:19

Sorry if this has been mentioned before, but what kind of switches are used for the mouse buttons?

Halvar

19 Mar 2015, 18:09

The PCB layout is made for Cherry DG series microswitches (and compatibles), but depending on the case you're using it's probably more prctical to use just any type of switch and connect them to the PCB holes by wire.

scottc

19 Mar 2015, 18:17

Sorry for the silly and broad question, but could someone explain what the difference between the types of Cherry DG microswitches is? Do some have a nicer feel, etc? There are a lot of results on Mouser, and I'm not sure what to make of them: http://www.mouser.ie/Search/Refine.aspx ... =cherry+dg

jerry_c

19 Mar 2015, 18:28

All of those aren't DG. This page should explain the differences nicely: http://cherryswitches.com/us/product/su ... iature-dg/

scottc

19 Mar 2015, 18:31

Ah, nice, thank you jerry_c. That should be very useful. The numbers are a bit abstract to me, since I don't really know what actuation force is in any mouse that I use, but should still be good.

jerry_c

19 Mar 2015, 20:09

At least some mouses use Omron D2FC-F-7N which datasheet (pdf) says that it's operating force is 0.44 to 0.74 Newtons.

However mouse case and buttons might have some leverage for the switch.

Return to “Workshop”