Cherry Blacks? Good for angry typing?

ShivaYash

30 Jan 2015, 22:41

Evening chaps,

What are people's thoughts on the Cherry MX blacks? As a newbie IBM Model M user, I love the heavy nature of my daily driver, I read somewhere, about 75g is required on these to actuate. I now find anything else really light, too light.

Therefore, would (in theory), Cherry blacks be my bag? I know they are considered a 'gaming key' by many, but does anyone here, or on the other side, consider them usable for angry typing?

With best,

chzel

30 Jan 2015, 22:50

I love BS, and I really like Blacks. They are TOTALLY different, and the heavy linearity fit with my habits nicely! The force I use is enough to actuate, but not enough to bottom out, maybe just barely touching at the bottom! I love them for gaming, and they really are nice for "energetic" typing! Because I don't bottom out, they are silent enough, although the return "thock-tiiing" is a bit annoying!

ShivaYash

30 Jan 2015, 22:54

chzel wrote: I love BS, and I really like Blacks. They are TOTALLY different, and the heavy linearity fit with my habits nicely! The force I use is enough to actuate, but not enough to bottom out, maybe just barely touching at the bottom! I love them for gaming, and they really are nice for "energetic" typing! Because I don't bottom out, they are silent enough, although the return "thock-tiiing" is a bit annoying!
Thanks!

ShivaYash

30 Jan 2015, 23:29

chzel wrote: I love BS, and I really like Blacks. They are TOTALLY different, and the heavy linearity fit with my habits nicely! The force I use is enough to actuate, but not enough to bottom out, maybe just barely touching at the bottom! I love them for gaming, and they really are nice for "energetic" typing! Because I don't bottom out, they are silent enough, although the return "thock-tiiing" is a bit annoying!
Been watching a while FILCO on eBay all week, the auction just ended now, but it went over budget. I have a strict rule that I only spend money on KBs via a 'one out, one in' policy, otherwise, it gets all mad and disorganised.

Enjoy your MX blacks.

scottc

30 Jan 2015, 23:32

They're a nice switch. I find them about as heavy as a Model M, but they're linear so it's more obvious. My perfect linear MX switch is an MX black with a custom spring installed so that it's between MX red and MX black in weight.

If you want an MX black board, they come very very cheaply. You can get German ISO G80-1800 boards with windows keys and lasered PBT keycaps for something like 6 euro shipped within Germany. One of those was my first Cherry board and I still use it.

ShivaYash

30 Jan 2015, 23:33

Thanks. I'll keep my eye open for such a board. Great deal.

scottc

30 Jan 2015, 23:38

They're readily available on Amazon DE:
http://www.amazon.de/CHERRY-G80-1800LPM ... y+g80-1800
Looks like this one is actually Italian, though. Not bad.

ShivaYash

30 Jan 2015, 23:41

scottc wrote: They're readily available on Amazon DE:
http://www.amazon.de/CHERRY-G80-1800LPM ... y+g80-1800
Looks like this one is actually Italian, though. Not bad.
Is a TKL model available? I'm not a fan of the massive slabs anymore.

scottc

30 Jan 2015, 23:48

Not of this board or for this cheap, but the 1800 is actually the same width as a TKL. It's exactly the width of my SSK.

vsev

30 Jan 2015, 23:52

1800's are quite my preferred boards ( cherry for sure)
and as far as I know the olds ones with blacks are really smoothests I know so far

Daniel

31 Jan 2015, 15:03

You can type angry on any switch :)

I use MX Blue and BS at home and MX Black at work. MX Blacks are really nice to type and you (or at least I) don't bottom out as fast as on MX Reds. If you have the possibility to get a MX Black board for cheap go for it. Another advantage of MX Blacks is that they're the most used switches overall and therefore can easily be sourced for few money from old boards etc.

Return to “Keyboards”