New Here, Found a keyboard in work, was directed here.

zomgbbq

27 Feb 2015, 04:48

Hey all,
I made a post on /r/mechanicalkeyboards earlier today about a keyboard I found on a spare desk in work.

Reddit was able to identify it, but I'm new to mechs so I'm not exactly sure what I've found.

Someone said it was rare? I'm just looking for some clarification.

Will hopefully be my first mech.

Link to the reddit page
http://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeybo ... idea_what/

Also, after I made this thread on reddit I found a few more of them wedged between some desks

Hope you can help!
Thanks

scottc

27 Feb 2015, 05:07

Hey there and welcome to DT!

The board itself is quite interesting, but the biggest thing for me is that it has some nice double-shot keycaps in UK layout. Doubleshot UK-layout Cherry keycaps are reasonably rare. I don't have any Cherry caps in UK layout as I mostly use US ANSI instead, but if you feel like selling a board then I'd certainly be interested!

It should have Cherry MX black switches, which are the most common switches found in old Cherry Corp boards, but are still pretty nice. They're linear switches, which means that you should feel no resistance during the downstroke until your key "bottoms out".

I don't know anything about the 3112 series specifically, but maybe some Cherry nut will come along and tell us more about that.

Was there anything in particular that you wanted to find out about?

Touch_It

27 Feb 2015, 05:08

I'm certainly no Cherry expert but it looks nice. If you could pop off a keycap it would be easy to tell what switch it uses. Also a pic of the label on the bottom of the keyboard would be very helpful.

scottc

27 Feb 2015, 05:09

Touch_It wrote: I'm certainly no Cherry expert but it looks nice. If you could pop off a keycap it would be easy to tell what switch it uses. Also a pic of the label on the bottom of the keyboard would be very helpful.
Those were posted in the Reddit thread, if you follow the link in the OP and scan for imgur links. Looks like it's a G80-3112HAG, so MX blacks.

Touch_It

27 Feb 2015, 05:11

scottc wrote:
Touch_It wrote: I'm certainly no Cherry expert but it looks nice. If you could pop off a keycap it would be easy to tell what switch it uses. Also a pic of the label on the bottom of the keyboard would be very helpful.
Those were posted in the Reddit thread, if you follow the link in the OP and scan for imgur links. Looks like it's a G80-3112HAG, so MX blacks.
I saw the reddit thread with the pic but failed to read any of it. So definitely shame on me and my laziness :(.

scottc

27 Feb 2015, 05:12

:lol: I admit I cheated, I was bored earlier and saw the picture in OP while browsing imgur.com/r/mechanicalkeyboards, and followed it to the Reddit thread.

"Here's one I prepared earlier!"

zomgbbq

27 Feb 2015, 05:18

scottc wrote: Hey there and welcome to DT!

The board itself is quite interesting, but the biggest thing for me is that it has some nice double-shot keycaps in UK layout. Doubleshot UK-layout Cherry keycaps are reasonably rare. I don't have any Cherry caps in UK layout as I mostly use US ANSI instead, but if you feel like selling a board then I'd certainly be interested!

It should have Cherry MX black switches, which are the most common switches found in old Cherry Corp boards, but are still pretty nice. They're linear switches, which means that you should feel no resistance during the downstroke until your key "bottoms out".

I don't know anything about the 3112 series specifically, but maybe some Cherry nut will come along and tell us more about that.

Was there anything in particular that you wanted to find out about?
Hey and thanks!

That's good to know that my first mechanical might actually be a classic!

Yeah a few people on reddit were really interested in the caps.
My work had just gone through an update to windows 7 and got all new computers, monitors and peripherals, so I'm finding keyboards like this everywhere at the moment. Ill have to have a chat with one of the techs and see what they planning on doing with all the old equipment. If they try and throw out these keyboards I may lose it.

If by any chance they allow me to keep this board, I may be a bit cheeky and ask for a few. I'd rather sell them cheap to a few enthusiasts then see them go to waste.

I was just curious as to the prices of these types of board as I have no idea. I have been slowly learning about mechs over the past few weeks, but only really the newer ones as I was going to purchase one. I honestly have no idea what I've stumbled on. There's around 120 desks on each floor and 16 floors. So god knows how many Ill find.

Parak

27 Feb 2015, 08:07

Save as many as you can before they throw them out! Knowing IT teams at megacorps, they'll just chunk them into the recycle bin after swapping without checking if anyone wants them or not, so make sure to ask about getting them asap... after stashing unattended ones somewhere safe.

Ascaii
The Beard

27 Feb 2015, 09:44

If the boards are all in this condition a realistic price is between 30 and 40 pounds per set for just the caps. complete boards 50-60 quid.

kbdfr
The Tiproman

27 Feb 2015, 09:51

In order to help everybody to know at a glance what it's all about, here is the pic posted on reddit:

HzFaq

27 Feb 2015, 10:01

Strange looking control keys...they look like those odd ones you get on those Olivetti boards.

I'd agree with Ascaii about the price as well.

ramnes
ПБТ НАВСЕГДА

27 Feb 2015, 11:01

Save them ALL from trash, please!

And count me in if you want to sell some. ;)

Edit: I found Ascaii price a bit high for shiny double shots. Would remove 10 on each price.

Stabilized

27 Feb 2015, 11:06

Hey I posted in the Reddit thread with a jokey response about buying the key caps (username: mrcoolmantim), but if you are selling them I would really be interested :D
Keep us updated and welcome to DT!

guk
1896 Vintage Reds

27 Feb 2015, 11:10

ramnes wrote: Save them ALL from trash, please!

And count me in if you want to sell some. ;)

Edit: I found Ascaii price a bit high for shiny double shots. Would remove 10 on each price.
Same here. Those figures would be ok with € signs.

Ascaii
The Beard

27 Feb 2015, 11:25

Ive seen UK sets go for more on ebay. They are rarer than hens teeth.

ramnes
ПБТ НАВСЕГДА

27 Feb 2015, 11:48

Well, as much as I love british layout, I wouldn't spend more than 40€ in a shiny key set. But yeah, some people just don't care about prices on this hobby.

Ascaii
The Beard

27 Feb 2015, 11:49

ramnes wrote: Well, as much as I love british layout, I wouldn't spend more than 40€ in a shiny key set. But yeah, some people just don't care about prices on this hobby.
Same here. Still, if he manages to get the boards and puts in the work he deserves to get what they are worth.
Last edited by Ascaii on 27 Feb 2015, 13:59, edited 1 time in total.

Muirium
µ

27 Feb 2015, 11:58

Hmm… I could probably use a board like that for showcasing my Round 5 caps…

andrewjoy

27 Feb 2015, 12:01

I would just use the best one if i was you. It will be better than the rubber dome crap most office have.

I myself support mac users and they have nasty keyboards. ( them horrible white things)

I wonder . Would i be the best IT support guy ever if i got everyone a mac layout matias with next years budget ?

If someone just takes caps i will take the bare board .

Ludovician

27 Feb 2015, 12:15

andrewjoy wrote: I wonder . Would i be the best IT support guy ever if i got everyone a mac layout matias with next years budget ?
I hope the recipients are Windows users as that would be amusing, but if not, yes, that would qualify you for the title.

Muirium
µ

27 Feb 2015, 12:26

Those nightmarish white and polycarbonate Apple keyboards must be from before 2007, when they were replaced by the aluminium ones. They were trash when new, and they're crimes against humanity now!

Most Mac users, alas, are perfectly happy with scissor switches. Especially the ones built into their laptops. The backlighting is good, but the feel is nonexistent. I honestly prefer typing on glass!

andrewjoy

27 Feb 2015, 12:32

I must admit one thing i do like about the apple scissor is the gap between then. i love that :)

ramnes
ПБТ НАВСЕГДА

27 Feb 2015, 12:40

I kinda like scissor switches actually, it's still much better than those fugly Dell keyboards...

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

27 Feb 2015, 13:21

Muirium wrote: I honestly prefer typing on glass!
Is this you?
2083277924_32a8f36177_b.jpg
2083277924_32a8f36177_b.jpg (180.7 KiB) Viewed 4407 times
(The movie Hackers was filmed in my high school.)

Muirium
µ

27 Feb 2015, 14:21

Needs a hat.

fohat
Elder Messenger

27 Feb 2015, 14:31

Ascaii wrote: They are rarer than hens teeth.
Not when 2K of them flood the market at once.

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

27 Feb 2015, 14:31

jsoltren wrote:
Muirium wrote: I honestly prefer typing on glass!
Is this you?
sure that´s Mu on the right getting ready for some mad hacking! :lol:

Muirium
µ

27 Feb 2015, 14:34

The beard is sort of right. But the other guy's got my glasses.

Of course, my hacking skills are no better than these actors! Let's try common passwords!

zomgbbq

27 Feb 2015, 15:24

This got a lot of response. When I go into work later I'll have a browse around and see what I can find and post an update. I'm away tomorrow for a week (Holiday) but I'll see what I can do.
Thank for all your help guys and the warm welcomes!

scottc

27 Feb 2015, 15:26

zomgbbq wrote: This got a lot of response. [...]
Yeah, but mostly off-topic. :lol: You'll soon get used to it!

Return to “Keyboards”