[IC] Clare-Pendar Reed Contact Switches

facetsesame
Mad Dasher

28 Feb 2015, 17:36

Clare-Pendar SFL Series low profile reed contact switches

These are thought to correspond to pyrelink's TI Silent 700 terminal keyboard.
These fit the Clare-Pendar keytops.
They are not thought to be Cherry MX compatible.

Datasheet: http://www.visualux.com/catalogues/kswitch.pdf

Initial interest check
Please post the part numbers and quantities you are interested in!
A quote request can then be raised to confirm MOQ and costs.
Product availability, MOQ, setup and unit costs are currently unknown.

Switches
SFL_series_drawings.png
SFL_series_drawings.png (46.3 KiB) Viewed 4214 times
Part number format: SxL1203
Switch type:
SFL: Momentary (standard key switch)
SGL: Alternate action (latching on and off - like an MXLOCK!)
SIL: Illuminated momentary - accepts T1 LEDs with adapter or T1 bi-pin incandescent lamps - see options below
Plunger (stem) angle:
1: Sloped [angled plunger] with 5mm contact terminals
3: Stepped [straight plunger] with 5mm contact terminals
5: Sloped [angled plunger] with 3.5mm contact terminals
6: Stepped [straight plunger] with 3.5mm contact terminals
Contacts:
1: 1 form A (SPST)?
5: 1 form A with in-line diode on cathode side
0: None
(Mandatory 0 - unknown specification)
Operating force:
1: 50 grams
2: 80 grams
0: Fixed plunger

Part number examples:
Spoiler:
SFL6101 (momentary, straight stem w. 3.5mm terminals, no diode, 50 gram op. force)
SGL6101 (alternate action, straight stem w. 3.5mm terminals, no diode, 50 gram op. force)
SIL6101 (illuminated momentary, straight stem w. 3.5mm terminals, no diode, 50 gram op. force)

SFL6101 (momentary, straight stem w. 3.5mm terminals, no diode, 50 gram op. force)
SFL5101 (momentary, angled stem w. 3.5mm terminals, no diode, 80 gram op. force)

SFL6501 (momentary, straight stem w. 3.5mm terminals, in-line diode on cathode side, 50 gram op. force)

SFL6102 (momentary, straight stem w. 3.5mm terminals, no diode, 80 gram op. force)
SIL Series switches Lamp and LED options:
Spoiler:
T1 bi-pin incandescent lamp: 104577-??
Choose rating:
00: 5V 75mA
01: 12V 60mA
02: 18V 26mA
03: 28V 24mA
Recommended: 104577-00 (5V 75mA)
nb. Check the current capabilities of your equipment! USB isn't designed to drive lots of incandescent lamps!

T1 LED: 104139-??
Choose colour:
00: Red
01: Orange
02: Yellow
03: Green
LEDs also require mounting adapter 104293-00
Switch specifications:
Spoiler:
50 million operation lifetime (SFL, SIL), 1 million (SGL)
Tinned silver contacts

0.9mm pretravel
4mm travel
0.5mm overtravel (SFL, SIL), 1.1mm (SGL)
0.5mm release

Contact terminals 3.5mm or 5mm
Panel cutout 15.12mm ±0.1mm, max panel thickness 1.5mm
All switches are frame and PCB compatible with corresponding high profile SF series switches
This is an initial interest check
Please post the part numbers and quantities you are interested in!
A quote request can then be raised to confirm MOQ and costs.
Product availability, MOQ, setup and unit costs are currently unknown.

7bit

28 Feb 2015, 17:53

Interesting.
:-)

Let me know if anybody is interested in a PCB, to make use of these switches and key caps.
:-)

SL89

28 Feb 2015, 19:20

80g sounds nice, why are the stems angled tho?

@7bit id like a Hyper1800 with these please

EDIT:

Illuminated momentary does this mean they are illuminated and remain so regardless of the switch being actuated AND momentary or they are illuminated when the switch is pressed.

7bit

28 Feb 2015, 19:28

It seems there exist both variants, angled and upright, like with some Cherry switches, or the Micro Switch hall-effects.

G80-1800-style PCB?
:?

SL89

28 Feb 2015, 20:59

7bit wrote: G80-1800-style PCB?
Idk, 1800 made sense, compact but with lots of tall keys. If not that what about a C1 or C2 (if thats even what they are called) layout with a revised bottom row depending on the spacebar situation.
Spoiler:

Daniel Beardsmore

28 Feb 2015, 22:13

Ideally, I'd have at least five of everything (desired minimum number for group photos of products), but that would be a whopping 540 switches, assuming that every combination is possible.

However, I don't know what the MOQ is. If we assume it to be 25 (the same as I was given by RAFI), and given that there's not a great chance that anyone else would want any of most of these combinations, I'd need to buy 25 of each of most of them. For the 108 potential variants, that would be a maximum of 2,700 switches, which at £1 each could be as much as £2,700.

I need a rough idea of MOQ, prices, and valid combinations.

I'm certainly interested, as I'm always keen to expand my switch collection.

Miko

28 Feb 2015, 22:23

I'd be interesting how much they cost and from where they are shipped. Are they more like 20 cents per pice or more like 2€?

Also what Daniel Beardsmore says. I'd be intrested in something from 10 to 20 switches.

pyrelink

01 Mar 2015, 07:17

So I am with Beardsmore. I would like a decent sample size of as many switches as possible, however I would not like to fork over an arm and a leg. If possible, getting some MOQ and cost details would greatly aid in my decision. Thanks again for doing this Facet!

And if anyone is serious about doing any projects with these, let me know, as I will make sure to put in for a nice supply of whatever anyone is thinking about...

facetsesame
Mad Dasher

01 Mar 2015, 22:20

I'll leave this for another day or so and will then put something together for quotation.
This is necessary to get MOQ and pricing information from the manufacturer - the distributor doesn't have the info.
The more precise you are with your items of interest, the easier this will be to do!
Nothing could possibly be binding at this stage - it's not known for sure which items are still orderable.
SL89 wrote: 80g sounds nice, why are the stems angled tho?
The angled stems are to replicate the profile of stepped rows (as associated with older typewriters) on a single sloped plate/PCB. Check out jacobolus on contemporary use of SA keycaps. The keytops all appear to have unangled, level tops and straight stems.
SL89 wrote: Illuminated momentary does this mean they are illuminated and remain so regardless of the switch being actuated AND momentary or they are illuminated when the switch is pressed.
The SIL diagrams looks to have two extra pins for lighting, so the illumination will be independent of the switch function. Well, unless you wire it in series!

Nuum

01 Mar 2015, 23:06

I'm really interested in switches and keycaps, but I don't have the time to read into them right now. I'll express my interest thorougly tomorrow evening, but tentatively I'm interested in ca. 100 50g angled standard switches and the same in keycaps, preferably German layout, but blank 1u keycaps will do, too.

rsbseb
-Horned Rabbit-

02 Mar 2015, 08:25

At least 5 each

SFL6101
SGL6101
SIL6101

SFL6102
SGL6102
SIL6102

green LED's would be nice

incandescent lamps would keep your fingers warm!

Nuum

02 Mar 2015, 11:46

What does "5mm/3,5mm contact terminals" mean? Is that the activation point or the bottom out distance?

facetsesame
Mad Dasher

02 Mar 2015, 19:52

Nuum wrote: What does "5mm/3,5mm contact terminals" mean? Is that the activation point or the bottom out distance?
That's the length of the PCB pins, you can see these marked in the diagram. I should have made that clearer, I wasn't sure either until I saw what it was.

There were some details on the switch travel quoted in the specifications:

0.9mm pretravel
4mm travel
0.5mm overtravel (SFL, SIL), 1.1mm (SGL)
0.5mm release

Nuum

02 Mar 2015, 20:17

Thanks!
Here's what I would probably buy then:
110x SFL1101
10x SGL1102
10x SIL1101

I would also take them with straight plungers (would prefer angled) and/or 3.5mm terminals (I don't care about that) and/or in-line diodes (I don't care about that either).

facetsesame
Mad Dasher

04 Mar 2015, 23:36

Thanks very much :)

If I have time tomorrow evening I will put the quote together for sending on Friday, or else it'll be Monday. If there's big demand following this, I might extend to Monday anyway!

facetsesame
Mad Dasher

11 Mar 2015, 01:23

Sorry all, I'm swamped with more commitments than I can handle at the moment.

I am alive and I haven't forgotten! I hope to finish the quote tomorrow pm, either way I will post an update. Sorry for the inconvenience.

SL89

11 Mar 2015, 01:53

No rush, I'm sure Clare Pendar isnt going anywhere if they havent now :D

facetsesame
Mad Dasher

10 Apr 2015, 22:17

Hi all,

It's the same story as the keytops I'm afraid:

Me taking this buy on is just not going to work. I just can't guarantee my availability at the moment, so I think it's important I don't try to take this any further. I reckon I'd manage ok if everything ran perfectly, but any complications could easily push it all beyond my available time and energy.

I'm really sorry to disappoint. I'm more than happy to pass on all the info I have (mostly covered in the two topics) and the contact details to anyone interested in taking any of this further.

Sorry.

pyrelink

10 Apr 2015, 22:46

It is not a problem. I don't think Visulux is going anywhere, so this can be a great project to put on the back burner if you ever get more free time, or if someone else in the UK wants to pick it up!

7bit

11 Apr 2015, 00:29

What is the trouble with this?

facetsesame
Mad Dasher

11 Apr 2015, 00:40

There's no trouble with the product, vendor or process, just with me. Basically I'm too busy, I can't guarantee having the time to run it and I don't want to let anyone down. I haven't been around as much lately, part of which is literally to clear space for the incoming Round 5 deluge (amongst many other things)!

Would 7bit like to take this on? ;)

7bit

11 Apr 2015, 12:23

Why not?

Return to “Group buys”