CM Rapid with frosty flake question

Sev

24 Feb 2015, 19:45

I have a little questions.

I bought a used CM Quickfire Rapid and it has a frosty flake controller installed. The F9s LED is always on and I do not know how to turn it off. Any ideas how I can find out how to disable or how to turn the LED off?

Thanks for your help,

davkol

24 Feb 2015, 20:27

Depends what firmware you use.

Sev

24 Feb 2015, 20:48

I dont know. I bought the keyboard and plugged it in. Not sure what firmware is installed. How can I check?

davkol

24 Feb 2015, 21:55

Well, the easiest option is to flash a fresh firmware of your choice by yourself.

Sev

24 Feb 2015, 22:03

Any guide or tutorial for me?

davkol

24 Feb 2015, 22:56

Dunno, have you read the wiki? Other than that, your favorite search engine is your friend. metalliqaz' Easy AVR USB Keyboard Firmware and Keymapper is probably the most user-friendly option, but you may find it more straightforward to simply compile Grendel's CoReCon or the stock firmware.
Last edited by davkol on 24 Feb 2015, 23:25, edited 1 time in total.

Sev

24 Feb 2015, 23:22

hmmm...most steps seem clear but how can I put my keyboard in bootloader mode?

davkol

24 Feb 2015, 23:28

Google Code is apparently case-sensitive. I've fixed the link.

In regards to your question, it's explained in the wiki:
On the replacement controllers there is a magnetic switch which will do this. While powered run a magnet nearby the little glass tube. Usually the switch can even be heard operating.

Sev

25 Feb 2015, 08:22

I am too stupid :cry:

Halvar

05 Mar 2015, 13:25

You put a strong magnet on the keyboard directly above the controller until you hear the usual sound from Windows (or Linux or MacOs) that you hear when you disconnect the keyboard.

What happened?

Muirium
µ

05 Mar 2015, 14:01

Macs don't chirp with goofy notices when you connect or disconnect a keyboard. I think that's just a Windows thing. Like waiting for a driver every time you put it in a different USB port.

Halvar

05 Mar 2015, 14:27

Oh, ok. That's unfortunate then. It's a very useful chirp. :P

OK Sev, if you have a Mac, you look whereever you have to look to see that the keyboard has been disconnected.

scottc

05 Mar 2015, 14:42

Yeah, I agree with Halvar on this one. Useful chirp indeed! It's certainly easier than eyeballing:

Code: Select all

while true; do dmesg | tail -n 5; sleep 5; done
in a terminal. :P

Muirium
µ

05 Mar 2015, 15:18

Easier than eyeballing the USB cable in your hand? Keyboards are active the moment the USB link is up!

bpiphany

05 Mar 2015, 15:30

scottc wrote: Yeah, I agree with Halvar on this one. Useful chirp indeed! It's certainly easier than eyeballing:

I have a monitor more or less dedicated to

watch -n 1 "dmesg | tail -24"
=)

scottc

05 Mar 2015, 15:32

bpiphany wrote:
scottc wrote: Yeah, I agree with Halvar on this one. Useful chirp indeed! It's certainly easier than eyeballing:

I have a monitor more or less dedicated to

watch -n 1 "dmesg | tail -24"
=)
watch is much nicer, but I can never remember what it's called so I always go for the low-tech version! :lol:

Return to “Keyboards”