IBM EMR Keyboard

Compgeke

26 Nov 2013, 04:57

I've decided it's about time to clean this thing, but before I did that I wanted to take some pictures of it, better than the ones I posted on geekhack back in February. Please excuse the soft focusing, this Canon T4i I'm borrowing has the worst autofocus I've ever seen.

And now, does it work? Well, yes! It speaks the standard PC\XT protocol, making it quite easy to test it out since I do own two PCs and an XT.

Tomorrow or the day after I'll upload clean pictures, however now I'm off to clean it up.

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

15 Mar 2015, 22:54

Is the case metal? I can't tell.
Pretty cool that you have the actual PC that is was made for. I wonder if this EMR keyboard will work with an xwhatsit converter?

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

15 Mar 2015, 22:56

what are the differences to a normal XT? Good pics!

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

16 Mar 2015, 00:23

seebart wrote: what are the differences to a normal XT? Good pics!
I believe this keyboard has been TEMPEST outfitted. Meaning it is made not to emit electronic signals that could compromise the security of a terminal. Hope this helped :)

I am still trying to figure out the rest of the differences, like if the case is metal.

Compgeke

16 Mar 2015, 16:41

The case itself is metal, and quite heavy. The cable itself is heavily shielded with a large ground strap and the controller is completely enclosed in some sort of potting material.

Other than that it seems to be a standard XT board barrel frame and such, just the extra shielding on top.

There's another variation on ebay right now, abeit a bit expensive. They do reference this thread (which is cool) but there are some differences between thw two, such as this person's controller seems to have the potting moulded on rather than just completely covered.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271789775014

andrewjoy

16 Mar 2015, 16:54

That eBay one does indeed look like early sample, hand written P/N is a dead giveaway as is the standard plastic XT case.

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

16 Mar 2015, 17:27

I do want one of these boards now. I can't buy any now though. But maybe of that listing stays up for awhile...

andrewjoy

16 Mar 2015, 17:29

If i was to get one it would have to be the metal one. i have an XT and a spare top case, bottom case and PCB.

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

16 Mar 2015, 17:50

andrewjoy wrote: If i was to get one it would have to be the metal one. i have an XT and a spare top case, bottom case and PCB.
Then only problem I see is that I would need one of Orichalon's plug in converters in order to make it work because the Controller board is surrounded by all of that paste.

Return to “Gallery”