Wyse PCE INT'L with "RRE" switches — Indian Cherry MX clones?

stratokaster

25 Mar 2015, 06:23

When I got my Wyse PCE INT'L, I immediately noticed that some of the keys felt somewhat different to others. I thought that the keyboard just needed cleaning. Today I finally got around to cleaning it, and much to my surprise, I discovered that it indeed uses two different types of switches! Switches marked "Cherry" are used for all F-keys and modifiers, with switches marked as "RRE" being mostly used for alphanumerics.

It appears that both the keyboard itself and the switches were manufactured by this company: http://www.rre.in/

As you can see from my rather poorly-done photos, RRE switches use shinier plastic than their Cherry counterparts, and their top part is very slightly narrower. In terms of feeling they are somewhat more springy and scratchy. Cherry switches are smoother and easier to bottom-out.

The switch alongside its Cherry counterpart:
rre-cherry.jpg
rre-cherry.jpg (395.24 KiB) Viewed 4546 times
The inside of the lower case. You can clearly see the date:
wyse-date.jpg
wyse-date.jpg (208.1 KiB) Viewed 4546 times
Sticker on the PCB. I think it's safe to assume that this keyboard was made on November 4, 1995. Or that it was the 486th keyboard manufactured in November 1995.
rre-sticker.jpg
rre-sticker.jpg (276.11 KiB) Viewed 4546 times
The Wyse sticker clearly states that the keyboard is "made in India".
wyse-sticker.jpg
wyse-sticker.jpg (373.5 KiB) Viewed 4546 times
Last edited by stratokaster on 25 Mar 2015, 06:33, edited 1 time in total.

stratokaster

25 Mar 2015, 06:26

Another picture showing switches "in situ" mixed with genuine Cherry MX Black.
switches-in-situ.jpg
switches-in-situ.jpg (409.34 KiB) Viewed 4545 times

IvanIvanovich

26 Mar 2015, 14:32

Interesting. I have never come across one of those before, and I have bought LOADS of old Wyse, Link, Reynolds, etc various brands that all share the same reference design keyboards and have never gotten any with those switch. But then, I think the ones I have had were made in Korea mostly not India.

stratokaster

27 Mar 2015, 07:38

Unfortunately, I was not able to find any information about those switches online.

But I definitely don't like typing on this keyboard. My rubber dome IBM KB-6323 feels more pleasant to type on.

Compgeke

27 Mar 2015, 08:12

The mix of switches is a bit odd, especially since they seem to be fairly randomly placed in the alpha area.

I wonder if some of the switches quit working at one point and someone replaced them with the closest thing they could find - MX blacks.

stratokaster

27 Mar 2015, 09:54

Compgeke wrote: The mix of switches is a bit odd, especially since they seem to be fairly randomly placed in the alpha area.

I wonder if some of the switches quit working at one point and someone replaced them with the closest thing they could find - MX blacks.
Doesn't look like it, to be honest. There're no signs of soldering or repair on the circuit board.

ray4jc

27 Mar 2015, 14:38

Perhaps the first cherry MX clones? Very interesting, thanks for sharing.

stratokaster

27 Mar 2015, 16:16

Right now I'm having an internal debate whether to actually use this keyboard (and convert it to USB), or to sacrifice it for scientific purposes.

justin4232000

11 Dec 2022, 19:49

Are Reynolds keyboards super rare?
This one was listed for $225, and was snapped up immediately.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/115167977179?h ... WlzMzCeEbD

photekq
Cherry Picker

12 Dec 2022, 02:42

justin4232000 wrote:
11 Dec 2022, 19:49
Are Reynolds keyboards super rare?
This one was listed for $225, and was snapped up immediately.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/115167977179?h ... WlzMzCeEbD
Those aren't even mechanical, they're rubber dome. Not particularly good ones either.

I'd usually say they were bought by people who thought they'd be getting NOS vintage blacks, but I'm not sure.. You don't often see those rubberdome WYSE boards get sold, they usually just sit there for ages because people know they're not MX. I'm surprised these ones sold, especially for $225 - even if they were NOS with MX, that wouldn't be a great price or anything.

thefarside

12 Dec 2022, 08:00

stratokaster wrote:
27 Mar 2015, 16:16
Right now I'm having an internal debate whether to actually use this keyboard (and convert it to USB), or to sacrifice it for scientific purposes.
Instead of sacrificing it could you disassemble and desolder a switch? That should allow discovery and not ruin the board. Either way it’s an interesting find!

Return to “Keyboards”