[IC] it is coming... SA RETRO!

trauring

20 Apr 2015, 15:10

Here's a partial revision. I don't think it looks too bad. The only problem is that if the person minds which way the text is oriented, their options on where they put them become a bit more limited (i.e. if they want it facing down to up on the left and up to down on the right, then they need to be designed that way from the beginning since the keys cannot be flipped due to the contour. I flipped some different directions based on where I thought people would use them.

The only thing I did not change is the media key cluster (they were really placeholders anyways, and I don't know how they really look. Some types of media keys will work sideways, some won't.). If it definitely wouldn't work, I could add some media key options to either the top or bottom row. One option might be to add the 4 sideways media keys as R4 1u keys that could replace the arrow keys on the bottom right (and the user could move the arrow keys to the thumb cluster).

Some things I'm not sure about. The { [ and } ] keys in the middle column might be confusing sideways (although they exist in two other locations in the set) although considering they're on the left and right sides of the keyboard, it might be easy enough to understand.
Attachments
Partially revised ErgoDox Modifier Set, removing vertical orientation.
Partially revised ErgoDox Modifier Set, removing vertical orientation.
ErgoDox Modifier Set r2.jpg (111.69 KiB) Viewed 4747 times

matt3o
-[°_°]-

20 Apr 2015, 15:51

this would be my suggestion.

1) remove alpha and put just blanks 2u and 1.5u in the Ergodox kits for SA Retro.

2) Start discussing an Archetypal Ergodox set in a different color way (possibly just 2 colors).

3) Run a group buy just for ergodox

dyger

20 Apr 2015, 15:53

Yeah I think I'd rather have all blanks than caps with wrong legends. That sounds like a decent solution.

cflee

20 Apr 2015, 15:55

This makes me curious: if the legend exists, does it mean it can be made for any row/width? From looking at the wiki, the 'grid' of the legend plastic usually seems to span the entire keycap width, even if it is just for the small + symbol on a 2u numpad key.

Otherwise, it seems difficult to get some of the proposed 1.5u (and possibly 2u, haven't checked those) keys in trauring's layout.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

20 Apr 2015, 16:02

no, each legend is bound to its key size. that being said SP has most (but not all) combinations for the most common keys.

trauring

20 Apr 2015, 16:22

I still think it would be a nice option to have the labeled keys. People will most likely be buying the ErgoDox set with it so will have the option of having blanks wherever they want. If they want labeled keys, they have them as well.

cflee

20 Apr 2015, 16:58

Looking at the current set of kits, I think there's already a huge effort being made for flexibility in this GB, balanced against the sanity of those handling payment/shipping for this.

In the same spirit of flexibility, it seems to make more sense to have blank caps (except for alphas) here, especially since I hear that Ergodox layouts can vary a lot. Simultaneously, an Ergodox-specific GB seems like a good idea, then it can really accommodate all the Ergodox users that have been buying alpha base + blank mods all the while.

(Disclaimer: I do not have an Ergodox, but instead a Minila Air that has 7bit's grab bag and blank keycaps all over it, for all the 'special' keys. :geek:)

luckynet2

20 Apr 2015, 17:23

so when will them pre order be up???

matt3o
-[°_°]-

20 Apr 2015, 17:41

waiting for a quotation. GB could start at the end of this week.

chzel

20 Apr 2015, 17:45

matt3o wrote: GB could start at the end of this week.
My wallet just screamed! I'm glad payday is coming up in 10 days!

pandp

20 Apr 2015, 19:27

I can't find how to swap Left Ctrl with CapsLock on Filco Minila :)
I mean 1,75U R3 Ctrl and 1,75U R4 CapsLock

matt3o
-[°_°]-

20 Apr 2015, 19:36

pandp wrote: I can't find how to swap Left Ctrl with CapsLock on Filco Minila :)
now you are asking too much! :)

pandp

20 Apr 2015, 19:43

matt3o wrote:
pandp wrote: I can't find how to swap Left Ctrl with CapsLock on Filco Minila :)
now you are asking too much! :)
It's stock feature of minila :evil:
https://www.diatec.co.jp/image_prod/e_M ... BUSDIP.png

and favorite place of Left Ctrl among all Minila users here! :geek:

Hey! Everybody think the same? :?:

evrycard

21 Apr 2015, 06:47

Very nice... I want a set. :-D

farinasa_

21 Apr 2015, 07:00

I'm voting for blank ergodox. I would love to have my legends, but I know that just isn't going to happen.

trauring

21 Apr 2015, 11:11

The blank keys are already part of the ErgoDox set (and every other ErgoDox set).

MaNiFeX

23 Apr 2015, 09:34

I can't wait! Thanks matt3o!

matt3o
-[°_°]-

23 Apr 2015, 13:18

I'm waiting for a quotation from SP.... they are particularly slow these days.

dezoe

23 Apr 2015, 14:47

matt3o wrote: I'm waiting for a quotation from SP.... they are particularly slow these days.
Maybe they are busy with something ..like making a gazillion Granite sets ;)

SL89

23 Apr 2015, 19:57

MD exaggerates the numbers though right? Counting each kit and whatnot towards the 'total' number.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

24 Apr 2015, 09:42

SL89 wrote: MD exaggerates the numbers though right? Counting each kit and whatnot towards the 'total' number.
it was about 1500 base kits sold.

SL89

24 Apr 2015, 18:01

So where does that stand next to the last couple rounds? The numbers are eluding me right now :/

matt3o
-[°_°]-

24 Apr 2015, 18:04

approx:

1) 400
2) 1000
3) 1500

SL89

24 Apr 2015, 18:06

Excellent. That number makes a lot more sense.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

24 Apr 2015, 18:18

that doesn't include sub-kits of course. Just the base kit.

SL89

24 Apr 2015, 18:30

I know, that number plus the addons are how MD inflates the numbers

wlhlm
~

24 Apr 2015, 18:46

Asked them directly:

matt3o
-[°_°]-

24 Apr 2015, 18:51

those numbers do not take into account people who didn't actually confirmed their order

wlhlm
~

24 Apr 2015, 18:55

Anyways, hugely popular. I think well deserved, thanks a lot matt3o! ;)

Enough with the sidestepping.

7bit

24 Apr 2015, 20:01

There is only one number that really counts:
Amount of key caps ordered!
:-)

Return to “Group buys”