Group Build prototyping phase

scottc

24 Mar 2015, 16:25

Wow! That's great news!

M1K3L08

24 Mar 2015, 16:56

matt3o wrote: a quick update.

I don't want to run a prototype on teensy now and a more refined version less than a month later. So, if I can have the PCB made with the integrated controller since the beginning I believe it is better. I'm exploring this possibility and get back to you ASAP!
Good to hear, thanks for the update :)

gianni

24 Mar 2015, 19:12

I'm interested in the pcb, still I haven't decided about which case :-)
It could be a really good thing if you or 7bit could also source the stabilizers, which usually cost 10 eur plus shipping.

SL89

04 Apr 2015, 15:23

just checking in, thanks for the update matt3o

welsinki

10 Apr 2015, 10:24

Put me down for a prototype. I definitely think you should keep the patterns on the side of the case. It adds a unique artistic touch :D .

emikey

10 Apr 2015, 17:55

Someone take my money! I want in.

pyrelink

10 Apr 2015, 18:36

I am happy to take your money. You might not get a keyboard in return, but I am just giving options here. :mrgreen:

M1K3L08

11 Apr 2015, 19:18

How's the integrated controller prototyping going?

matt3o
-[°_°]-

11 Apr 2015, 23:48

I should get the first prototype soon! I'll keep you posted!

M1K3L08

25 Apr 2015, 16:11

matt3o wrote: I should get the first prototype soon! I'll keep you posted!
How long do you think it will be until we can throw our money your way for a prototype board?

matt3o
-[°_°]-

25 Apr 2015, 16:27

I'm nagging the manufacturers every day now! It's a very complex build. The case is something I believe has never done before, the feet are machined specifically for the keyboard. I'm also working on a dedicated keycaps set in PBT+dyesub. There are really a lot of things to do.

I'm also working on an online (open source) configurator (flash-free).

Guys this thing is gonna be legendary! :D

They told me the case should be ready in few days. I should get 10 prototypes soon. I'm sorry it is taking so much time, I could run a PCB-on-teensy fairly quickly, but at this point I believe it is better to wait for the real thing.

scottc

25 Apr 2015, 16:29

matt3o wrote: I'm also working on an online (open source) configurator (flash-free).
That's great news, matt3o! I can't wait. Is the configurator's source online somewhere? I'd love to take a look through it and see if I can contribute, even if it's still rough around the edges.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

25 Apr 2015, 16:42

scottc wrote:
matt3o wrote: I'm also working on an online (open source) configurator (flash-free).
That's great news, matt3o! I can't wait. Is the configurator's source online somewhere? I'd love to take a look through it and see if I can contribute, even if it's still rough around the edges.
yes, I'll push it on github in the coming hours. The firmware is based on HaaTa's kiibohd, so the configurator will actually work for any kii based keyboard.

scottc

25 Apr 2015, 16:51

Oh, interesting. I'll check it out later. Does this have anything to do with the new ErgoDox, by any chance?

matt3o
-[°_°]-

25 Apr 2015, 17:22

MD plans to use it for the ergodox, yes

pyrelink

25 Apr 2015, 21:08

I really couldn't wait for this back when our prospects were the Elf Board and Bianca, and now you are talking about custom PBT dyesub sets for this board, and custom machined feet, on board controllers, and "a case that's never been done before". I think the only way to describe this would be as legendary!

M1K3L08

25 Apr 2015, 21:11

matt3o wrote: I'm nagging the manufacturers every day now! It's a very complex build. The case is something I believe has never done before, the feet are machined specifically for the keyboard. I'm also working on a dedicated keycaps set in PBT+dyesub. There are really a lot of things to do.

I'm also working on an online (open source) configurator (flash-free).

Guys this thing is gonna be legendary! :D

They told me the case should be ready in few days. I should get 10 prototypes soon. I'm sorry it is taking so much time, I could run a PCB-on-teensy fairly quickly, but at this point I believe it is better to wait for the real thing.
Don't apologise, the work you are doing is amazing!

SL89

25 Apr 2015, 22:35

pyrelink wrote: I really couldn't wait for this back when our prospects were the Elf Board and Bianca, and now you are talking about custom PBT dyesub sets for this board, and custom machined feet, on board controllers, and "a case that's never been done before". I think the only way to describe this would be as legendary!
I couldn't agree more. This is above and beyond the scope of any other diy project that has left the prototype phase.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

26 Apr 2015, 00:11

oh and everything will be open sourced. pcb design. firmware of course. configuration software. 3d cad files...

Memoren

26 Apr 2015, 15:56

are those 10 prototypes going to be sent out to people or are you using them for personal experimentation?

matt3o
-[°_°]-

26 Apr 2015, 17:14

a couple of them are mine. the others are for selected guinea pigs :P

scottc

26 Apr 2015, 17:25

matt3o wrote: a couple of them are mine. the others are for selected guinea pigs :P
meep meep!

M1K3L08

27 Apr 2015, 15:22

matt3o wrote: a couple of them are mine. the others are for selected guinea pigs :P
I volunteer as tribute

matt3o
-[°_°]-

27 Apr 2015, 18:51

Pre-alpha stage

Configurator https://github.com/cubiq/KiiConf
Demo http://lab.cubiq.org/kii/

The demo works on the infinity keyboard because the keymap for the brownfox is not ready yet. But the concept is the same.

As soon as I'll have the prototypes I'll post a beta-tester request. Please note that I'll need feedback from the betatesters as soon as possible to avoid production delays, so if you can't work on it in a timely manner, please do not apply (sorry about that)

scottc

27 Apr 2015, 19:00

This looks great. I love the design. I'll start taking a look through the source. Do you have plans for integration between this tool and KLE that you showed us before?
Edit: I just noticed editor.html, ahhh that's so awesome :D

pyrelink

27 Apr 2015, 19:08

That's fantastic! I love a really clean and simple design.

Muirium
µ

27 Apr 2015, 19:36

Nice! I endorse the default keyboard layout, too…
Screen Shot 2015-04-27 at 10.34.05 am.png
Screen Shot 2015-04-27 at 10.34.05 am.png (141.78 KiB) Viewed 4123 times
Looks a lot of fun to play around with.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

27 Apr 2015, 20:08

Mu, did you enlarge the font size? I don't understand why the legend is not centered to the button

Muirium
µ

27 Apr 2015, 20:15

Nope. That's just how it always renders on Safari. I'm zooming in and out and the alignment remains bottom vertical, centred horizontal.

The joys of web development!

pyrelink

27 Apr 2015, 20:19

Does the same for me to. Safari on the left, Chrome on the right. (Chrome and Firefox look the same)
Spoiler:
Screen Shot 2015-04-27 at 2.17.18 PM.png
Screen Shot 2015-04-27 at 2.17.18 PM.png (306.64 KiB) Viewed 4616 times

Return to “Workshop”