IBM SSK club!

Muirium
µ

28 Apr 2015, 01:09

This SSK is now native USB thanks to Phosphorglow's elegant replacement controller. Consider me chuffed!

Always a moment of relief when you confirm all the switches are working. This one's been lying in wait of attention since my first haul from Cindy. Now it works as pretty as it types.

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

28 Apr 2015, 01:25

Yay! Now to go onward with a bolt mod mu.

Muirium
µ

28 Apr 2015, 02:37

But, but! Bolt mods are a pain in the jacksie. This one feels fine. Mostly.

Mal-2

28 Apr 2015, 09:01

seebart wrote:
Mal-2 wrote:
orihalcon wrote: Original keycaps were boring,
:shock: Do want said "boring" keycaps with diacriticals and ðþʒåøə all over them! The blue keys are neat in a way, but the ArtGr keycaps actually mean something. (I'd build a keymap to match if need be!)
What? :o
Are the keys with the green additional legends the "boring" originals? I got the impression you only changed the blue ones.

Ander

01 May 2015, 23:31

In case it interests anyone (and also since this is a recent thread, so I won't be accused of "necroing", which is nice):

I posted here on Geekhack about a few boards with these secondary symbols that appeared on eBay, and member Herothereu said they were related to semiotics. I've asked him to elaborate.

ramnes
ПБТ НАВСЕГДА

01 May 2015, 23:39

Nice! We have a Great Finds thread, by the way. :)

Mal-2

02 May 2015, 03:16

Ander wrote: member Herothereu said they were related to semiotics. I've asked him to elaborate.
As long as it's not interior semiotics. (SFW article about a NSFW performance art video.)

meow a cat

06 May 2015, 16:05

My Phosphorglow SSK 1391472, with Unicomp US APL keycaps.. my original set is missing the SSK I/5 keycap. If anyone has a spare somehow, let me know!!

How it was when Cindy sent it to me:

After I sent it to Phosphorglow:

andrewjoy

06 May 2015, 16:48

That is just amazing , i am going to try for something similar with my 102 terminal silver label

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

06 May 2015, 16:49

Very nice meow a cat, refurbished by the master himself!

meow a cat

06 May 2015, 17:09

seebart wrote: Very nice meow a cat, refurbished by the master himself!
Thanks Seebart! :D

Yeah, he does great work! I didn't want to trust myself with bolt modding an SSK, and he can do all the bells and whistles!

Great communication too, he was really helpful with all of my many questions.. I definitely recommend him.

He also sold me a stock Model F PC AT that's in really great shape! Not a single ding on the top, everything intact, minimal rust, and it's clean.
andrewjoy wrote: That is just amazing , i am going to try for something similar with my 102 terminal silver label
Good luck, I'm sure you will end up with something great!

Of course, it always helps that IBM boards are pretty great to begin with!

seebart

06 May 2015, 17:14

Yeah it's a premium service phosphoreglow is providing. I've never bought from him but I've seen his work plenty. I bought my SSK refurbished by its previous owner Madhias. The pics are somewhere in this thread.

Khers

06 May 2015, 17:57

I sometimes wish I was on the other side of the atlantic just so that I was able to send IBMs off to phosphorglow for a reasonable shipping cost. He really does an amazing job!

It's a very nice board you have there meow a cat! Is that a caps lock led underneath the caps lock?

meow a cat

06 May 2015, 18:10

Khers wrote: I sometimes wish I was on the other side of the atlantic just so that I was able to send IBMs off to phosphorglow for a reasonable shipping cost. He really does an amazing job!

It's a very nice board you have there meow a cat! Is that a caps lock led underneath the caps lock?
Thank you!

I know a little bit how you feel, I live in Canada. It cost me $50 there, and $50 back. :lol:

It is, it has three LEDs. I had him put the caps lock LED under the L-control location, as I swap my control and caps lock keys.

It also has two LEDs under the scroll lock key, one for scroll lock, and the other for num lock!

He definitely does do impressive work, I would have him restore one again! He was also nice enough to proxy a bunch of caps for me from Unicomp.

He does have some SSK's and Model M's for sale on his site right now, maybe that could be an option for you? That way you would only pay a ridiculous amount of shipping one way, instead of both. :lol:

Khers

06 May 2015, 18:18

I have considered it, however, I think it will be mightily difficult to get a third SSK past my wife :D

meow a cat

06 May 2015, 18:27

Khers wrote: I have considered it, however, I think it will be mightily difficult to get a third SSK past my wife :D
Heh, it might be! :lol:

I wouldn't mind a second SSK, I don't really think you can have too many when it comes to SSKs, or IBM boards in general.

Next item on my list is a 4704, 107 key maybe?
seebart wrote: Yeah it's a premium service phosphoreglow is providing. I've never bought from him but I've seen his work plenty. I bought my SSK refurbished by its previous owner Madhias. The pics are somewhere in this thread.
Yeah, I'm really impressed! Definitely going to take this board with me to my grave.

I'll take a look around the thread for your board. I've probably seen it before, I read through this whole thread awhile ago.. that's what made me want an SSK so bad in the first place! :D

Ander

07 May 2015, 01:17

Ander wrote:I posted here on Geekhack about a few boards with these secondary symbols that appeared on eBay, and member Herothereu said they were related to semiotics...
ramnes wrote:Nice! We have a Great Finds thread, by the way. :)
Glad to know that. Unfortunately I couldn't consider these "great finds", as the seller wanted $75 each plus shipping.
meow a cat wrote:Yeah, he does great work! I didn't want to trust myself with bolt modding an SSK...
Yeah, you'd definitely want to have done a few non-SSKs first. :?O
Khers wrote:I have considered it, however, I think it will be mightily difficult to get a third SSK past my wife :D
LOL! In case anyone wondered why we use nicknames here rather than our real names...

andrewjoy

07 May 2015, 01:19

Ander wrote:
LOL! In case anyone wondered why we use nicknames here rather than our real names...
I use my real name , ever since microsoft stole my general handle to name there crappy flash ripoff

Ander

07 May 2015, 01:25

andrewjoy wrote: I use my real name , ever since microsoft stole my general handle to name there crappy flash ripoff
Yeah, don't you hate it when that happens? Maybe you're not married, though, and you have more options.

Muirium
µ

07 May 2015, 01:26

As long as there's a place in the periodic table in it for me, I'm happy to give mine to science!

scottc

07 May 2015, 01:32

andrewjoy wrote:
Ander wrote:
I use my real name , ever since microsoft stole my general handle to name there crappy flash ripoff
I use my real name because "scott" was taken on Freenode and I was in a rush and feeling uninventive. :D

Ander

07 May 2015, 01:37

scottc wrote:
andrewjoy wrote: I use my real name because "scott" was taken on Freenode and I was in a rush and feeling uninventive. :D
The thing is, none of us would know it was your real name if you hadn't told us. Now we have all the info we need to track you down and sell you time-share vacation property... Buh ha ha!!

The ideal situation, of course, is to have a real name that looks like a handle. For this reason, I think we should give our kids names like SnowGiraffe16, TrapezoidLover44, and so forth. They'll be grateful, eventually.

Muirium
µ

07 May 2015, 01:48

Human[0] = best middle name ever.

Ander

07 May 2015, 09:20

Muirium wrote: Human[0] = best middle name ever.
There's an American TV sitcom called Community, about students and faculty at a community college. Their athletic teams are called The Humans, and their mascot is someone who runs around in a Spandex body stocking with a "smiley" painted on the face. I guess it makes as much sense as anything else!

Muirium
µ

07 May 2015, 14:58

I did notice the prominence of schools' sports teams painted on their buildings while I was in California (I was out riding a fair bit) which is completely unheard of here in Scotland. Where high school sports are secondary trifling affairs deserving of no such thing, although we wonder why everyone's so unathletic, our national football squad can't even play the game let alone qualify for a tournament any more, and why our professional teams are full of second rate foreigners these days. Coincidence surely.

But I failed to watch any American TV (I was out riding a fair bit).

seebart

07 May 2015, 15:20

school / college athletics sports are a huge deal in the US. I remember that well from my time over there. They show almost as much of those games on TV as they do Pro league games.

meow a cat

07 May 2015, 16:46

seebart wrote: school / college athletics sports are a huge deal in the US. I remember that well from my time over there. They show almost as much of those games on TV as they do Pro league games.
Being Canadian, I don't really understand the obsession either. College teams also aren't a big deal here.

seebart

07 May 2015, 16:50

Well it's an institution. The yanks love their sports, from little league to high school over NCAA to Pro. A lot Europeans are soccer crazy though. It's pretty bad here in Germany.

Muirium
µ

07 May 2015, 16:58

In Scotland people are football mad too. But they wear oversized replica tops, and sit on their fat arses at the pub or at home, watching Premiership (English) matches, stuffing their faces with Walkers crisps.

But it's okay. Everyone knows Americans are the fat and stupid ones. The comedians say so!

I'd do two things to improve sports here. Limit foreign sports coverage on TV. Champions League? Yes. Chelsea vs. Fulham in the league cup? No! And then let the schools fill up the air time with their games instead. Where are our future stars? Hint: not in England, Spain or Germany! They're working at the supermarket.

seebart

07 May 2015, 17:13

Muirium wrote:In Scotland people are football mad too. But they wear oversized replica tops, and sit on their fat arses at the pub or at home, watching Premiership (English) matches, stuffing their faces with Walkers crisps.

But it's okay. Everyone knows Americans are the fat and stupid ones. The comedians say so!

I'd do two things to improve sports here. Limit foreign sports coverage on TV. Champions League? Yes. Chelsea vs. Fulham in the league cup? No! And then let the schools fill up the air time with their games instead. Where are our future stars? Hint: not in England, Spain or Germany! They're working at the supermarket.
Haha spoken by a man who just came back from there.... very good. I remember when Germans in general made fun of the overweight Americans, now we're approaching the same situation here. Fatty kids at MD stuffing their faces with junk food. It's sad actually.

Return to “Gallery”