The $169 desktop computer that fits in your hand

elecplus

04 May 2015, 17:22

Designed for developing countries where power is not consistent.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/05/04/tech/mci- ... index.html

Findecanor

04 May 2015, 17:41

The article does not say how it is supposed to overcome having a flaky power line ...

With the translucent plastic and curved shapes, it looks like something from 1999 that imitated Apple.
For that price you could also get a used EeeBox, Asus Revo or Mac Mini, with about the same capabilities: small desktop with at least 2GB RAM and HDMI out. Most of these also have card readers. The later Mac Minis have the power supply built in instead of using a separate power brick.

chzel

04 May 2015, 18:37

Findecanor wrote: The article does not say how it is supposed to overcome having a flaky power line ...

With the translucent plastic and curved shapes, it looks like something from 1999 that imitated Apple.
For that price you could also get a used EeeBox, Asus Revo or Mac Mini, with about the same capabilities: small desktop with at least 2GB RAM and HDMI out. Most of these also have card readers. The later Mac Minis have the power supply built in instead of using a separate power brick.
Even a Raspberry Pi 2 would fit the bill nicely, and at a fraction of the cost.
As for the power, I guess they mean the OS doesn't corrupt itself in a unplanned power outage? Or if the consumption is low enough, even an "USB power bank" would work as a mini-UPS.

elecplus

04 May 2015, 18:43

It does seem that there should be some sort of UPS somewhere. On the other hand, a replaceable AC adapter that is of standard size and output would make things easier if an electrical spike blows it up. Also, if the OS is embedded, not sure how you would do updates, security patches, etc.? While the wikipedia feature is nice, I still don't see how a few articles on farming and veterinary care can cover everything that can be wrong with a sick cow.

I still like the computer the size of the USB stick better.

SL89

04 May 2015, 18:53

I love things like this, Intel had a full system on an HDMI dongle, but its less versatile and ended up being something of a bust.

I work in an environment that murders PC's (and thin clients for that matter) and we are looking into dabbling with things similar to the product that was posted in the OP. It's called Symple and they are recycled units that have been refurbished and reworked.

I think it's great that desktops and their ilk are not being left in the dust despite the industry shift towards mobile.

elecplus

04 May 2015, 19:13

Ever heard of a 350C terminal? Quite a few years old now, some used AT and some used PS/2 keyboards, but they seem to be almost indestructible. Metal cases, takes any VGA monitor, including flat screens, and has Cat 5. I have abt 50 of them, tested, that are going to scrap soon. $20 each, if anyone wants them. Some are in original boxes, but not new.

SL89

05 May 2015, 21:55

I haven't, but I'll definitely check them out.

Return to “Off-topic”