TMK Alps 60 Keyboard by Hasu

DanielT
Un petit village gaulois d'Armorique…

08 May 2015, 13:34

As this was started on GH I don't think a lot of people here were aware of this project.
This is the link to the original thread on GH https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=69740.0

Long story short, Hasu wanted to make 60% Alps PCB compatible with classic Alps keyboards so that it will be easy to source caps and cut the plate down to 60% size. So there were 9 PCB's available and I got one, PCB Nr.7 :)
This is the PCB:
Spoiler:
The controller is an ATMega32U2, all the parts required for controller to work and the controller were soldered by Hasu, he also uploaded a default keymap. What I had to do was solder diodes, cut the plate and solder the switches.

First step was to prepare the diodes, I used a piece of wood cut down to size so I could bend all the diodes :
Spoiler:
All diodes soldered in place:
Spoiler:
With the diodes soldered I tested each switch with some needle tweezers to make sure that everything works.

Now the hard part, as a donor I used a NIB black Dell keyboard Alinh had, de-soldering the switches was a pain but that was not the hardest part.
I had to cut down to size the steel plate, for that I used a Dremel and some cutting disks, I think I broke around 10 of them but it worked in the end :D The disks were not meant for cutting 1.5mm steel but I didn't had the time to order something else. Anyway, the end result looked good :
Spoiler:
I managed not to destroy any of the stab mounting holes. For the screw holes I used a carbide drill and it worked well.
This is what was left of the Dell plate :D :
Spoiler:
After cutting and sanding the plate I made a test to see if everything fits and it did to my surprise :
Spoiler:
Final step was to solder all the switches and test if all the switches work, and surprisingly it did :lol:
Spoiler:
This is how it looked on the back :
Spoiler:
For the case I have used a stock Poker X case :
Spoiler:
For the firmware is just classic TMK everybody knows it so I won't cover that part. You have a reset switch on the back in the same position where the Poker DIP switches are placed, I must say it's a nice touch:
Spoiler:
And the final product :
Spoiler:
Conclusions:
Except for the short 1.75u Right Shift and Pinky Fn that I miss so much the board is great, I managed to put a layout that it is easy to use, I'm typing since yesterday on this keyboard and it feels really nice. I know people hate the black Alps, but I like them, they feel interesting. I didn't had any issues with the PCB, everything worked as it was supposed to.
It was the first time I got a chance to test and evaluate a prototype and it felt great :mrgreen: This small project had a lot of firsts for me, modding a plate, Alps switches, TMK firmware and the end result is a fully functional keyboard that looks and feels better than a commercial one :D

For soldering I used an Antex XS25 soldering iron with 1mm tip and 0.5mm 60/40 soldering wire. The Antex soldering iron was much better than the cheap one I used in the past, it allowed me to make much cleaner soldering points, a great tool all together. I bought this one directly from their web site, they have fast and cheap delivery, and their products are of very good quality for a good price.

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

08 May 2015, 13:51

Classic black Alps in a modern package. Nice mod DanielT! Glad to hear you like Alps. Closest thing I have is my Monterey K110, but that's vintage and no mod. Good work.

DanielT

08 May 2015, 14:10

Thanks :) It was a fun build, I've always wanted to test Alps, but I like 60% and I want my layout not whatever the vendor decided it was a good layout. So this was the perfect occasion to have a custom programmable Alps 60%.
Hasu did a great job with the design of the PCB, and if there will be a second run I recommend people to get one it's awesome :)

andrewjoy

08 May 2015, 14:33

Shame you could not find some super cool alps like blues or salmon alps :)

that looks amazing tho , where did you get the caps ?

seebart

08 May 2015, 14:33

yeah it's well known by now 60% is your fave factor. Since there are no commercially available 60 boards with Alps as far as I know this is great. Except with my HHKB2 I never go smaller than TKL.I believe I saw an early Filco TKL with Alps a long time ago somewhere. Not sure if I remember that correctly? Yeah Filco Zero TKL:

http://deskthority.net/wiki/Filco_Zero

I'd love to get one of those.

DanielT

08 May 2015, 14:50

The caps are from the black Dell, not the best but they feel nice. Maybe at some point I will swap the switches, I only have to replace the 2nd leaf and the slider, not a big deal. I had to work with what I had available, and that was a Dell owned bu alinh who sits next to me :D And I enjoy the black alps, actually I like alps a lot. I didn't want to start spending too much getting this keyboard done, and I'm happy with the choice I made.

My only keyboard bigger than a 60% is the SSK. I have also a G80-1800 but that one is not mine :D it's my wife's keyboard :P
There are some ALPS 60% boards, I think v60 has a version with Matias switches, but if it's not programmable it's not interesting for me.

I would love the caps off that Filco for my keyboard :)

Ray

08 May 2015, 21:10

Even though it started on GH, that's no reason for legs, feet or shoes in the pics :P

On a serious note, that board looks gorgeous. One of the more interesting looking 60%s since the cap shapes just look different (more classy imho) than the cherrys and hhkbs. I also like the idea of recycling the plate.

DiodeHead

09 May 2015, 10:24

Thats a very good project to put my matthias on :).

Topre Enthusiast

09 May 2015, 10:47

This looks awesome, Daniel. Nice work! I love the little tribute to the man himself inside the case :)

scottc

09 May 2015, 11:02

Very cool stuff. I'm jealous! This is a great little board.

I got my first Matias board recently, the Quiet Mini with their damped, tactile switches and I'm quite impressed. I bet the clicky ones are even better. They're fairly cheap too, so maybe you could swap those in if you get tired of the boring black Alps. :)

DanielT

09 May 2015, 17:48

002 wrote: This looks awesome, Daniel. Nice work! I love the little tribute to the man himself inside the case :)
Thanks :) I felt I had to put his signature inside the case of board Nr.7.

@scottc: quit calling black Alps boring, I love them :P

seebart

09 May 2015, 18:08

Yeah really Scott shame on you! :D

scottc

09 May 2015, 18:35

DanielT wrote:
002 wrote: This looks awesome, Daniel. Nice work! I love the little tribute to the man himself inside the case :)
Thanks :) I felt I had to put his signature inside the case of board Nr.7.

@scottc: quit calling black Alps boring, I love them :P
Sorry! :P It's entirely likely that my black Alps were just gross and newer ones are better. You know Alps don't age well, and both of my Dell ATs had been "aging" in a skip for a while when I found them!

DanielT

09 May 2015, 18:37

My Dell was NIB so I had only the finest :lol:

seebart

09 May 2015, 18:45

Yeah the Alps in my used Dell AT are nappy too. But the NIB whites in my Focus are muchos nice.

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

10 May 2015, 04:49

Heh, this looks just like the Matias Quiet Click equipped V60 that just came in from Massdrop yesterday.

I really like the Matias switches, with Alps Salmon being my favorite of the vintage Alps switches. I just wish we had better key switch options. I think Signature Plastics can make a bunch of their caps with Alps mounts? Maybe we can organize a Tai Hao group buy?

scottc

10 May 2015, 10:21

XMIT wrote: Heh, this looks just like the Matias Quiet Click equipped V60 that just came in from Massdrop yesterday.

I really like the Matias switches, with Alps Salmon being my favorite of the vintage Alps switches. I just wish we had better key switch options. I think Signature Plastics can make a bunch of their caps with Alps mounts? Maybe we can organize a Tai Hao group buy?
I'd be up for this. My Matias Quiet Mini is in need of some love.

DanielT

10 May 2015, 13:09

I would be interested in some doubleshot caps with Alps stab mountholes too, I remember that Tai Hai is able to do that. I wonder how big the numbers are for the MOQ. I would love some classic colorways from Tai Hao.
SP had molds for alps mount, but they use cherry mount for the stab :(

Return to “Workshop”