Just thought of a topre mod???

snarfarlarkus

06 Jul 2015, 11:40

Hello Deskthority,

So I just thought of a mod for my realforce 87U 55g. While I was in the process of flipping my space bar, I realised that the space bar has a spring on top of the key switch itself, akin of o-rings on a cherry stem. I took the spring and tried it on a few different keys, esc, enter and the 'w' key to see if it felt good while using wasd. To my surprise, I feel like the topre keys feel sturdier, heftier and more smooth with the spring on the stem. I cannot find the springs anywhere and I'm sure I cant just use any random spring. IF anyones tried this can they please let me know if they prefer it over a normal key and where do I find these springs?

Cheers!

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

06 Jul 2015, 12:03

Hmm interesting. A Topre spring mod? I'm sure someone must have tried this before. Too bad our GH refugees are gone. They might know. So you like your Topre switch better with the spring?

Muirium
µ

06 Jul 2015, 13:16

People usually just talk about pulling the spacebar spring off!

I keep it in place. But I add no more springs. (I could. Got at least one in reserve.) They make switches heavier but add nothing to the tactility. They're bland. Well, unless more linear with less tactility is exactly what you want.

Could try asking Cooler Master for some. I got a handful from Bram. Probably a part they can sell separately. Far as I know NovaTouch spacebar springs are identical to Realforce ones.

snarfarlarkus

06 Jul 2015, 13:48

Yes, I prefer the heftyness of the switch with the spring in place. I am a heavy typist and coming from a Model M, I am typing a lot harder on the topre and the spring just makes the keys feel that extra bit heftier and sturdier.

Yes I know they add nothing to the tactility of the key feel but it is just the extra resistence that I like.

You planning on selling them to me Muirium? I do not know where to source them from at all to be honest. Cheers

Muirium
µ

06 Jul 2015, 14:17

Nope. I have like 2 spare springs, you're looking for a whole set! Get in touch with CM Europe. Those probably work. I'll confirm it sometime.

snarfarlarkus

07 Jul 2015, 04:00

Thanks for the link. What keys do you place the springs under?

Air tree

07 Jul 2015, 04:16

I just tried it on my HHKB, and it a oddly nice and springy come back and a bit more hefty in terms of the feel...This is with 55g domes in my HHKB, just to note.

Muirium
µ

13 Jul 2015, 18:52

I got in touch with Bram at Cooler Master:
It's not an official item we sell but if a user would be to contact our support department they usually have most tiny things as spare parts or else they can grab a few from some RMA returns if neccecary?

Support.coolermaster.com is the link where to refer these people too then :)
So they do have those spacebar springs, but maybe not enough for a full keyboard's worth. Better get in touch and ask.

I did test a NovaTouch spacebar spring on my HHKB and it works fine. I can't say I like the extra weight on other keys, but if you do it works.

snarfarlarkus

14 Jul 2015, 07:24

Air tree wrote: I just tried it on my HHKB, and it a oddly nice and springy come back and a bit more hefty in terms of the feel...This is with 55g domes in my HHKB, just to note.
Yeah it feels good doesn't it? I just prefer the heftyness of it as I am a heavy typer. With cherry keyboards I prefer no o-rings but with topre I prefer the springs.
Muirium wrote: I got in touch with Bram at Cooler Master:
It's not an official item we sell but if a user would be to contact our support department they usually have most tiny things as spare parts or else they can grab a few from some RMA returns if neccecary?

Support.coolermaster.com is the link where to refer these people too then :)
So they do have those spacebar springs, but maybe not enough for a full keyboard's worth. Better get in touch and ask.

I did test a NovaTouch spacebar spring on my HHKB and it works fine. I can't say I like the extra weight on other keys, but if you do it works.
Thanks for that, I will get in touch with them and hopefully I can get more springs!

Return to “Keyboards”