Greetings from a new member

Muirium
µ

04 Aug 2015, 20:10

zslane wrote: My first keyboard project is now complete. A Filco Majestouch-2 104 (MX-Reds) with DSA Dolch keycaps from Signature Plastics. First impressions are that the MX Reds are actually more resistant than I expected, but maybe that is because they need a bit of a break in period. And I'm sure that all my time spent typing on the cheap, mushy membrane keyboard makes this one feel stiff by comparison. Nevertheless, I love the way these switches feel and sound (i.e., silent). The sound these DSAs make when they bottom out in the Filco is just right. It's not a high-pitched clack, but more of a mid-range thock, which is exactly what I was hoping for. And I love the color combination of the keys.
Good upgrade for the Filco. Their caps are shite, and DSA Dolch is a timeless set.

I wouldn't call a board with MX reds "silent", though. Check out this thread full of sound samples for an idea why. The main noise reds make is when you release the key. Like all MX, they aren't damped, so they make a loud clack on topping out. Unlike bottoming out, which you can avoid, the spring pushes those switches home, so you're stuck with it.

Damped Alps / Matias is way quieter than MX. As is damped Topre. And right now I'm on a Topre switch board I just damped for myself, with these caps on it! Sure, the caps work great on MX. But the dampers don't. The internal geometry of MX switches makes upstroke damping impractical.

Anyway, your reds should break in with a bit of use. They'll always be quite scratchy unless you lube them though. Same old story!

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

04 Aug 2015, 20:12

Even non-damped Topre is quieter imo.

Muirium
µ

04 Aug 2015, 20:17

Seeing as I've got keyboards strewn all about, let me check…

I'm surprised. You're not only right, but it's more than I expected. The Cherry MX Board 6.0 with reds makes a lot more noise than my 55g Realforce. Hmm. They're both plate mounted, I thought it would be more or less the same.

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

04 Aug 2015, 20:30

Muirium wrote: Seeing as I've got keyboards strewn all about, let me check…

I'm surprised. You're not only right, but it's more than I expected. The Cherry MX Board 6.0 with reds makes a lot more noise than my 55g Realforce. Hmm. They're both plate mounted, I thought it would be more or less the same.
That's why I was so suprised by all that demand for Topre silencing rings.

Muirium
µ

04 Aug 2015, 20:35

It's rare we get new mods on Topre. A lot of it's pent up demand. Unlike the MX boys, we haven't torn our keyboards apart that often!

Anyway, the keyboard that *needs* those rings is the NovaTouch. They aren't nearly as refined, out of the box, as a regular undamped Realforce. I've no plans to install rings in my 55g 87U. I quite like its sound!

zslane

04 Aug 2015, 21:03

I suppose I should have thought to apply a little silicone to the switches before applying the keycaps. Maybe down the road...I'm not in the mood to spend another two hours futzing with those things just now.

Those black and white SAs sure are perdy. I love SAs and can't wait to get a set of Space Cadets on a new board.

Muirium
µ

04 Aug 2015, 21:12

Infinite time can be spent futzing around with MX switches. I've got a bunch of custom springs I need to install sometime. But that kind of closeup work is something I can put off for years at a time!

Remember you're just talking to keyboard snobs here. Your Filco's gotten a great upgrade and is a thoroughly respectable keyboard now. No need to dive down the rabbit hole quite yet. Besides, whatever you do will literally never be enough to please someone like me! Well, perhaps…

Someone invent MX topside damping plz! Do we need custom switch tops or what?

zslane

04 Aug 2015, 21:43

I think I can understand what you mean, Muirium, when you speak about how different keycap profiles can interact with a switch differently. The (taller) OEM keycaps on this WASD keyboard (with MX Reds) that I just got for work do make the switches feel softer than the lower profile DSAs on my Filco. Which means you may be right about matching up the SA Space Cadets (whenever they arrive) with MX Blacks instead of MX Reds. Definitely something to consider...

macmakkara

04 Aug 2015, 22:43

I know that ppl don't often speak about gaterons here... But i can tell now that i have 80 gateron clears here with me that theyr so DAMN light switches without any scratciness that i notice with reds... have to test out some of those gateron blacks

Muirium
µ

11 Aug 2015, 02:17

macmakkara wrote: I know that ppl don't often speak about gaterons here... But i can tell now that i have 80 gateron clears here with me that theyr so DAMN light switches without any scratciness that i notice with reds... have to test out some of those gateron blacks
How did they go?

shreebles
Finally 60%

11 Aug 2015, 15:48

I guess these are spherical if you're still looking for some. They are out of stock, but you could ask if they might come back in. http://www.keyboardco.com/product/doubl ... keyset.asp

As for the silent upstroke... I think Cherry have come up with something - and it's a Corsair exclusive again! yay! (assholes)
http://www.anandtech.com/show/9498/cors ... d-switches

zslane

11 Aug 2015, 23:01

My itch for sphericals will get scratched when my R5a order is fulfilled next year. You have to realize that it isn't just the spherical top, but the entire design aesthetic of Muirium's Honywell keycap replicas that cause salivation (including the color choices beyond black). Not to mention the Space Cadet set which I love for nostalgic reasons, not merely aesthetic reasons.

The Cherry MX Silent switch is an interesting development. Maybe by the time my R5a's arrive someone will make a keyboard with those switches that I actually like (i.e., conforming to the current FIlco Majestouch-2 design, which I love). I would still love to try out a 104-key NovaTouch with proper damping, if they ever come out with one...

shreebles
Finally 60%

12 Aug 2015, 11:43

zslane wrote: My itch for sphericals will get scratched when my R5a order is fulfilled next year. You have to realize that it isn't just the spherical top, but the entire design aesthetic of Muirium's Honywell keycap replicas that cause salivation (including the color choices beyond black). Not to mention the Space Cadet set which I love for nostalgic reasons, not merely aesthetic reasons.
I agree, the aesthetics of the Filcos are no match for real sphericals. I only mentioned those because they aren't very well known, not that expensive and you don't have to wait a year to get them (well, if they stock ANSI again). Plus, numerous ISO versions exist! :mrgreen: But there have been quality complaints about the Filco DS too. My wallet and limited patience are the only reason I'm not in the spherical group buys. That, and the fact that the ordering process seems insanely complicated.
zslane wrote: The Cherry MX Silent switch is an interesting development. Maybe by the time my R5a's arrive someone will make a keyboard with those switches that I actually like (i.e., conforming to the current FIlco Majestouch-2 design, which I love). I would still love to try out a 104-key NovaTouch with proper damping, if they ever come out with one...
They did say they had something "bigger" in mind when people asked about a 60% Novatouch. So perhaps a full-size one. But they didn't anounce anything at Gamescom so who knows when...

I do think that the silents are interesting but making it Corsair-exclusive again is so stupid. Well, for 6 months anyway.
I look forward to the wide availability of them so we can rip em apart and mod the dampers into any MX switch we like! :lol:

Khers

12 Aug 2015, 13:33

zslane wrote: [...] my R5a order is fulfilled next year. [...]
Optimist.

zslane

12 Aug 2015, 21:10

Khers wrote:
zslane wrote: [...] my R5a order is fulfilled next year. [...]
Optimist.
*Sigh* ... I know. :?

zslane

22 Aug 2015, 19:15

To all SA-family keycap afficianados:

What is the recommended/most favored cursor-UP keycap row profile for the SA-family? Row 3 or row 4? Is your answer different for full vs. TKL boards?

Benefit of row 3: matches the other three cursor keys.
Benefit of row 4: matches the other 1U keys on row 4.

Last bumped by zslane on 22 Aug 2015, 19:15.

Return to “Keyboards”