Group Build prototyping phase

matt3o
-[°_°]-

12 Aug 2015, 20:16

I should make some tests... but my guts say that there would be a lot of stabs interfering...

simbloke

12 Aug 2015, 20:17

I'm really looking forward to this. I've been moving to smaller keyboards in order to get my mouse closer. Pains in my right shoulder are making this more important.

pyrelink

12 Aug 2015, 23:48

I do love the layout of the Elf Board, and in particular the small peninsula separating the arrow keys from the mods. I can't wait to get my hands on it.

I will say part of what makes Bianca so incredible, is how perfectly that Granite Cyrillic set matches the white plate and acrylic base. But even without the keyset, there is something so elegant of having small keys and no stabilizers to worry about. One of my biggest pet peeves on a keyboard are the ridiculously sized modifiers and keys (I am looking at you right shift, and backslash) and this ensures that all keys have to be stable enough to be pressed without stabs.

I love the position of backspace and the ability to have a HHKB right shift+FN would be nice. I am also quite fond of the space bars. Separating it into 4 separate switches means that depending on where you tend to strike the space bar you can leave space, and use the other keys for interesting layout changes like a backspace or delete key.

Very fond of it to say the least.

shrubbry

13 Aug 2015, 01:28

Oh, I agree completely - both in usability and aesthetics. Just knew there was no shot of getting there with this build. :) Incidentally, I'm also a fan of thumb keys *below* the spacebar, like this one or this.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

13 Aug 2015, 08:45

I believe the biggest bianca's sin is being stabless just for the sake of it. As of now I find myself hitting in between the space-keys too many times.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

13 Aug 2015, 18:17

Today I received the final version of the PCB! It's simply fantastic! Now I'm waiting for the production sample of the case and we are ready to go!

potatowire

18 Aug 2015, 16:57

matt3o wrote: Today I received the final version of the PCB! It's simply fantastic! Now I'm waiting for the production sample of the case and we are ready to go!
I am excited for the progress bar on this to tick over to 100%. I will definitely be buying.

Count me in on Bianca v2.0 too. I'm hand-wiring up a custom:

http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/# ... f73f5446e6

with a split space bar design and would love to iterate on it a bit.

[Edited so the automatic link parser wouldn't add an errant ) to the URL (thanks Arvid)]
Last edited by potatowire on 25 Aug 2015, 13:23, edited 2 times in total.

Arvid

25 Aug 2015, 01:53

potatowire wrote:
matt3o wrote: Today I received the final version of the PCB! It's simply fantastic! Now I'm waiting for the production sample of the case and we are ready to go!
I am excited for the progress bar on this to tick over to 100%. I will definitely be buying.

Count me in on Bianca v2.0 too. I'm hand-wiring up a custom (http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/# ... f73f5446e6) with a split space bar design and would love to iterate on it a bit.
Layout does not exist...

potatowire

25 Aug 2015, 05:24

Arvid wrote:
potatowire wrote:

Count me in on Bianca v2.0 too. I'm hand-wiring up a custom (http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/# ... f73f5446e6) with a split space bar design and would love to iterate on it a bit.
This link should work:
http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/# ... f73f5446e6

[Edited because I missed the point Arvid was making.]
Last edited by potatowire on 25 Aug 2015, 13:19, edited 2 times in total.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

25 Aug 2015, 11:08

The 27th they should ship the case to me, so by the end of the month I should get all the missing parts and assemble the very first final Whitefox. Crossing fingers.

shrubbry

25 Aug 2015, 23:01

FYI: Zealio switch pre-ordering is open from now until September 30

Muirium
µ

25 Aug 2015, 23:14

What's a zealio switch? They sure don't look legit Cherry MX to me.

Webwit would love that site. It's a shop where every item is a "group buy". Because, you know, you can buy it and like it, sucka!

matt3o
-[°_°]-

25 Aug 2015, 23:23

I believe this will come with gaterons, but you are free to get whatever switch you like

shrubbry

26 Aug 2015, 03:35

Muirium wrote: What's a zealio switch? They sure don't look legit Cherry MX to me.

Webwit would love that site. It's a shop where every item is a "group buy". Because, you know, you can buy it and like it, sucka!
The ZealPC dude is having Gateron produce a line of linear switches and a line of new Cherry-Clear-shaped switches in 62g, 65g and 67g - essentially a selection of "vintage" blacks and ergo-clears straight from the factory.

See the thread @GH.

sth
2 girls 1 cuprubber

28 Aug 2015, 10:25

goodness me, i am trying so hard to spend less on this hobby.

i am thinking of getting in on this, then building my GH60 when it finally arrives, just to sell it to offset this cost. it really depends on the case options available - i am in love with my 60% vortex low profile case (the one that's been on massdrop a few times now, and is available from Pexon).

Muirium
µ

28 Aug 2015, 12:01

Do people really buy assembled boards from random guys like us? Or are you better off selling the kit, in parts, so they can choose their own layout and other options? You could always still build it for them, but if you leave it until the sale, the customer can make the decisions.

potatowire

28 Aug 2015, 13:23

Muirium wrote: Do people really buy assembled boards from random guys like us? Or are you better off selling the kit, in parts, so they can choose their own layout and other options? You could always still build it for them, but if you leave it until the sale, the customer can make the decisions.
I think this is wise advice.

sth
2 girls 1 cuprubber

28 Aug 2015, 13:28

Muirium wrote: Do people really buy assembled boards from random guys like us? Or are you better off selling the kit, in parts, so they can choose their own layout and other options? You could always still build it for them, but if you leave it until the sale, the customer can make the decisions.
on geekhack, yeah. :|

what i'd probably do is assemble the board in a fairly stock arrangement (because pictures with shiny LEDs and rare keycaps are what sells boards over there, not 'possibilities') and offer to update the layout as requested/available in plate options.
Last edited by sth on 29 Aug 2015, 17:20, edited 1 time in total.

DanielT
Un petit village gaulois d'Armorique…

29 Aug 2015, 15:53

People do buy boards assembled by random people, I have sold a few for decent price, covered some expenses and was able to buy something else.
I helps not to have some exotic layout, I avoid something like that on my boards because I like to know that I also find keycaps to match and am not forced to use hybrids.
I lime building the keyboards myself, that's one of the reasons I like Cherry MX, but some don't feel up to that chalange and buy one already built, or don't want all the trouble one gets building a board.

scottc

29 Aug 2015, 22:50

I bought one of DanielT's mostly assembled boards (a PCB with switches and LEDs soldered on), but just because it was readily available in my ideal layout with switches modded in the same way that I'd do them. I'd just as happily build my own board. That said, my preference is usually to be as minimalistic as possible - I've already got hundreds of spare switches, so I might as well use them.

pyrelink

30 Aug 2015, 17:23

For me building the board is a vast majority of the fun. Granted as time goes on they don't take me nearly as long to build as they used to. For the same reason, buying a perfectly restored IBM keyboard, interests me a whole lot less then buying one on the brink of death and bringing it back to life.

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

30 Aug 2015, 22:45

The majority of consumers are going to want the board built for them so they don't have to hassle with the build process. It's only us uber nerds that feel the need to build the board or modify the board ourselves, for the personal satisfaction.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

31 Aug 2015, 00:04

I can build it for anyone who can't work his/her way out to the soldering iron

rohanmital

31 Aug 2015, 17:10

Hey matt3o, any news on the cases? I would love to see pictures of the finalized design

matt3o
-[°_°]-

31 Aug 2015, 17:12

I was waiting for them today, but I guess it will be tomorrow.

cods

02 Sep 2015, 06:27

As an alternative to the FC660M - Interested! Subscribed for updates.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

02 Sep 2015, 09:10

finally got DHL tracking. I should get them at the end of this week.

good news... all plates are anodized :)

potatowire

02 Sep 2015, 22:31

matt3o wrote: finally got DHL tracking. I should get them at the end of this week.

good news... all plates are anodized :)
Can't wait to see it!

matt3o
-[°_°]-

03 Sep 2015, 20:25

I got the prototypes.

We are definitely going to have anodized aluminum, it looks so much better. They made a hell lot of errors though and we are going to rectify the anomalies. I might need another week. Gosh, this is taking forever...

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

04 Sep 2015, 00:13

matt3o wrote: I got the prototypes.

We are definitely going to have anodized aluminum, it looks so much better. They made a hell lot of errors though and we are going to rectify the anomalies. I might need another week. Gosh, this is taking forever...
Well, the amount of work you're putting into this should pay off in the end. Don't think that anyone else has done a 65% group buy to the scale and flexibility that you are doing.

Return to “Workshop”