F104+SSK+122+62+77+50+Ergo orders now open! New Kishsaver+Industrial Model F Keyboards

bhtooefr

09 Oct 2015, 13:42

One suggestion, if it hasn't been made: avoid routing traces between the pads for the G, H, and B keys.

Best would be if you can get enough keep-out area to support a Sprintek SK8702 module, which would allow easy TrackPoint modding, especially seeing as Unicomp still makes suitable G, H, and B keys for this.

Muirium
µ

09 Oct 2015, 19:45

Very good point!

Ellipse

09 Oct 2015, 22:33

bhtooefr- things should be as they are on an original F62 Kishsaver - can you add a trackpoint to that keyboard?

bhtooefr

10 Oct 2015, 00:32

I believe there's at least one trace that would be hit by the minimum drilling needed to add a TrackPoint through the bottom.

modology

10 Oct 2015, 02:04

@ellipse: is it possible to powdercoat to dark grey color RAL 7021 just like what @Snoopy did to his F62

Ellipse

10 Oct 2015, 02:26

modology - I can't promise an exact match with any color, but I intend to offer colors as close as possible to an original painted Model F and an original Industrial SSK, and options for black and clear coat.

If you are looking for other colors, tooling for the powdercoating would add $100 or more to the cost (this cost can be spread out among everyone ordering the color).

It would also be helpful to show me where to find the paint color you are looking for, or to send me a bucket that I can send to China if you'd prefer.

modology

10 Oct 2015, 07:54

@Ellipse: Snoopy uploaded his own Kishsaver powdercoated in RAL 7021 here.
http://deskthority.net/photos-f62/kishs ... 83-30.html
Ofcourse if you cant use the exact color, some what dark grey similar like the photo with matt look would do.

romevi

10 Oct 2015, 07:58

modology wrote:@Ellipse: Snoopy uploaded his own Kishsaver powdercoated in RAL 7021 here.
http://deskthority.net/photos-f62/kishs ... 83-30.html
Ofcourse if you cant use the exact color, some what dark grey similar like the photo with matt look would do.
You sure that's the right link?

modology

10 Oct 2015, 11:14

If you scroll down a bit from the page (the link i included), you will see @snoopy's kishsaver.

andrewjoy

10 Oct 2015, 21:32

I dunno if i posted this yet but

modology

11 Oct 2015, 02:27

@Ellipse: Not sure if Unicomp still make any of those black keycaps with white legends? Perhaps someone should create a separate group buy interest check post to see if we can get Unicomp to produce black caps again.

darkspider

11 Oct 2015, 03:05

I'm afraid the task will take much time to complete... Can we get products by Xmas this year?

Ellipse

11 Oct 2015, 03:07

I think Unicomp still offers the APL set but a support rep said they no longer offer their limited edition F1 etc. front printing on the number row keys, as of my support ticket from two months ago (they also said they don't offer black key sets so I'm not sure if it is correct).

They said they do still offer the Industrial SSK blue keys (though in a slightly different shade of blue) and the SSK style number printing on the letter keys for the embedded num pad.
Last edited by Ellipse on 18 Jun 2017, 01:39, edited 1 time in total.

darkspider

12 Oct 2015, 08:11

Ellipse wrote: they also said they don't offer black key sets so I'm not sure if it is correct
You mean...
you can't be sure what they said in the mail, bacause they said they don't offer black keysets although they actually do.
don't you?

Techno Trousers
100,000,000 actuations

12 Oct 2015, 08:15

I really wish Unicomp had their crap together. It seems like there's always a different story depending on who you talk to over there.

Ellipse

14 Oct 2015, 00:55

An update - I was just able to order 5 used 1391401s for those who prefer to order original used IBM keycaps over Unicomp caps. The cost will likely be about the same as the Unicomp caps. Please let me know if you are interested in ordering original used caps with your F77/F62.

modology

14 Oct 2015, 01:45

@Ellipse: I want those original 2 x IBM keycaps set for F62 and F77. Please note that down. Thanks

Ellipse

14 Oct 2015, 01:50

Request noted modology!

mobbo

14 Oct 2015, 01:55

@Ellipse: Hey! I replied in the GH thread too but please note that I'm in for IBM keycaps for the F62. In the interest form I put myself down for both the F62 and F77, but it's looking like I'll only be able to afford the one. Thank you.
Last edited by mobbo on 16 Oct 2015, 04:08, edited 2 times in total.

Techno Trousers
100,000,000 actuations

14 Oct 2015, 02:28

I'll take original caps for my F77, if still available. Thanks!

Chrisism

14 Oct 2015, 02:47

Is there a cut-off date set for this GB yet?

Ellipse

14 Oct 2015, 03:41

Chris - once I receive and fully test/photograph the prototypes I will open up the orders for a month or so, and then ship them out first come first served. So no cutoff date yet.

Everyone interested should please sign up in the interest form in the mean time and then you will be sent a link to the order form when orders are ready.

There could be significant delays to this project if the flippers require a different plastic/carbon filling than what was recommended to me, for example.

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

14 Oct 2015, 21:03

I think we reached a decision here ages ago but: I'm no longer against an Fn key on the F62 (or the F77 really, but it seems like it would make more sense on the F62).

This weekend I gathered two data points:
1. I had a look at the DSA key cap on my work keyboard (ABS, not PBT). I've worn a shiny spot on the left side of RShift, from about 6 months of hard daily use.
2. I took out my HHKB Lite. As I remembered, it has probably the worst rubber dome that I've ever typed on. That aside, I didn't once hit Fn by accident when I meant to hit Shift.

Still, the HHKB layout uses what I think is a really odd location for the overlay arrow keys, but that's not an issue with the F62 (can reprogram in xwhatsit). If it were me I'd use WASD for arrow keys and some of the alpha keys on the right side as a numeric keypad, like Realforce 87U keyboards or an SSK.

Muirium
µ

14 Oct 2015, 21:17

Told ya. You're beginning to see the Professor's genius! But you're not all the way there yet. WASD? Blech.

I have a numpad layer as well as an HHKB layer on my Kishsaver, of course. The trick is to have more than one function key. Not that I often remember the numpad…

scottc

14 Oct 2015, 22:34

I'll probably not go for caps. I've got an abundance of IBM caps around, and yet another set coming in Mu's Unicomp haul.

Muirium
µ

14 Oct 2015, 23:04

Got a spare ANSI Return? (IBM, not Unicomp.) My AT is in need…

Any µ keys are also welcome!

scottc

14 Oct 2015, 23:13

Afraid not, unfortunately! All of my Model Ms are actually stock ANSI. My poor abandoned broken M's ANSI keys went to my AT. I'll have a dig around when I'm back home around Christmas just in case. Oddly enough, I'm somewhat interested in converting one of my SSKs to US-ISO, with the long left shift - I've got some spare 122 keys from Cindy, and I don't have any ISO IBM boards. Why not?

fohat
Elder Messenger

16 Oct 2015, 04:24

I have several ISO-style Enter keys from F-122s that I don't need. They have the thin wire stabilizers that work fine in place of Ms (unless you are extremely sensitive to the slight extra chatter)(but the thick M wires won't work the other way around, unfortunately).

Long left shifts are always in short supply.

Ellipse

17 Oct 2015, 02:08

The barrel and flipper molds are finished - here are the very first brand new injection molded production samples of barrels and flippers from the new molds! Once the cases are made, the F62 and F77 prototypes will be just about finished!
first new barrels and flippers.jpg
first new barrels and flippers.jpg (1022.92 KiB) Viewed 5048 times
Also I received the 5 1391401 Model M keyboards today to be used for keys for those who prefer original keycaps on their F62/F77.

Anyone who wants one to five Model M 1391401 keyboards without keys/stabilizers/the cable can have them for $30 each plus shipping, or $35 with the SDL to PS/2 cable. The recycler tested them but I am selling them as uncleaned/untested.

First come, first served with these keyboards.

chzel

17 Oct 2015, 02:11

Looking nice! Did you get any testing done? Does the material work ok?

Return to “Group buys”