F104+SSK+122+62+77+50+Ergo orders now open! New Kishsaver+Industrial Model F Keyboards

webwit
Wild Duck

20 Oct 2015, 00:27

Muirium wrote: I ponder what on Earth I need to sell to get a hold of one of these
A plane ticket to the US! :twisted:

Muirium
µ

20 Oct 2015, 00:29

Yeah, that and all my fingers…

webwit
Wild Duck

20 Oct 2015, 00:31

You have two kidneys. Spare!

Ellipse

20 Oct 2015, 02:47

The confirmed price will be $325 for "bring your own caps" for all designs. I ship internationally webwit - I will ask for volunteers to proxy outside of the US to save on shipping.

Muirium
µ

20 Oct 2015, 02:50

Same price even for the HHKB Shifters? Nice one. Thanks Ellipse.

(My timid wallet hopes proxies get a discount… That I can do. A few boards anyway.)

Ellipse

20 Oct 2015, 03:00

Yes I think there's enough demand for those split shift keyboards.

And yep proxies will all pay less shipping each since shipping will be combined. Unfortunately the price is the price. The only discount would be to save about $10 by paying cash or "Gift" at your discretion.

We are at just over 150 preorders right now. We would have to get to 350-400+ for further economies of scale to allow for additional price reductions (making the cases with die cast molds instead of CNC machining them one by one as is currently planned).

Elrick

20 Oct 2015, 03:21

Muirium wrote: Same price even for the HHKB Shifters? Nice one. Thanks Ellipse.

(My timid wallet hopes proxies get a discount… That I can do. A few boards anyway.)
This F77 Industrial keyboard is a thousand times BETTER than any cheapo rubbish HHKB (sorry sunshine, it has to be said).

I'm in like Flynn with this forth coming keyboard, nothing can be better than finally typing on some super rare model, which is all hand made.

Muirium
µ

20 Oct 2015, 03:24

I've got a real Kishsaver and an HHKB, I like them both plenty. Very different boards. But any new Kishsaver could learn a thing or two from the HHKB's layout. That's why I've been nagging for 1.75u right Shift in this design from the start.

Techno Trousers
100,000,000 actuations

20 Oct 2015, 05:08

Ellipse wrote: We are at just over 150 preorders right now. We would have to get to 350-400+ for further economies of scale to allow for additional price reductions (making the cases with die cast molds instead of CNC machining them one by one as is currently planned).
Has anyone approached any of the Korean enthusiast boards with this? Those guys seen to always have a lot of disposable income, and I'd think a lot of them would want to get in on something truly unique like this. Shame I don't speak the language.

Ellipse

20 Oct 2015, 05:20

Do we have any Korean writers/speakers on board here that can help make some postings on the Korean enthusiast forums? That would be a very good idea Techno.

andrewjoy

20 Oct 2015, 09:36

Ellipse wrote: Yes I think there's enough demand for those split shift keyboards.

What about UNIX layout ? Its the same plate as a normal ansi/iso just need to move springs.

Firebolt1914

20 Oct 2015, 17:33

Ellipse wrote: Do we have any Korean writers/speakers on board here that can help make some postings on the Korean enthusiast forums? That would be a very good idea Techno.
Yes I will try my best :)

Firebolt1914

20 Oct 2015, 18:35

When production begins, do you have an approximation of when it should be finished? Also, what sort of controller would it be and would we be able to have solenoid support out of the box?

Ellipse

20 Oct 2015, 22:14

Thanks Firebolt! Please share links to what you post over here. I would be interested in their discussions on this project.

I expect to start production within days of starting to accept orders (mid November?) so there is no delay. First orders in, first to ship.

The xwhatsit Model F USB controller is included/used. Solenoids require the xwhatsit solenoid driver, currently available from DT member orihalcon. With this driver, the controller will support a solenoid to my knowledge.

Andrew-as long as it is a matter of moving springs and caps any layout should be configurable at the factory. Please let me know the layout specifics when ordering.

Muirium
µ

20 Oct 2015, 22:55

Ellipse wrote: The xwhatsit Model F USB controller is included/used. Solenoids require the xwhatsit solenoid driver, currently available from DT member orihalcon. With this driver, the controller will support a solenoid to my knowledge.
If you can find enough space to mount the extra PCB and the solenoid itself in a Kishsaver's nice tight little case…

Oh, Ellipse, what are you doing about the original 4704 case design's opening on the bottom for a volume control knob? Ignoring this to get a nice flat case bottom, or letting us put something down there too?

And how many flippers do we get with these boards?

Ellipse

20 Oct 2015, 23:11

No pre made cutout for a volume knob, sorry. You can drill a hole if needed.

You will get enough flippers for your layout. If you need an extra one to switch layouts that is fine to request.

Vizir

21 Oct 2015, 00:33

Wouldn't drilling mess up the color at the drill location? Wonder if the volume can be controlled in software...

JanitorJoe

22 Oct 2015, 00:06

Been resisting this group buy for months but finally gave in and filled out the interest form.

Question that's probably been answered already somewhere: will the USB cable be detachable?

Ellipse

22 Oct 2015, 00:34

A good call JanitorJoe! Yep you can detach the USB cable but only if you open the case. I am using regular phillips head screws for this project. You could also install a short detachable USB extension cable if you wanted to disconnect the USB cable from outside the case.

Hypersphere

22 Oct 2015, 01:29

Ellipse wrote: A good call JanitorJoe! Yep you can detach the USB cable but only if you open the case. I am using regular phillips head screws for this project. You could also install a short detachable USB extension cable if you wanted to disconnect the USB cable from outside the case.
Good to know this. I might consider doing a mod to install a flush-mount USB connector (USB B, micro USB or mini USB, depending on available space inside the case).

Ellipse

22 Oct 2015, 01:35

Hypersphere please do post your mod when the time comes - I'm sure there will be more interest in a cable that can be removed from outside the case.

Here's another photo just of the first production Model F barrels from the new mold (see my earlier post for the flippers).
Attachments
barrels new production.jpg
barrels new production.jpg (894.67 KiB) Viewed 5739 times

Techno Trousers
100,000,000 actuations

22 Oct 2015, 02:23

Hypersphere wrote: I might consider doing a mod to install a flush-mount USB connector (USB B, micro USB or mini USB, depending on available space inside the case).
Future proof it. USB Type C all the way!

JanitorJoe

22 Oct 2015, 06:08

Thanks Ellipse, guess that's what I'll be doing then.

Hyper, I'm looking forward to seeing what you do. You A) will do a better job than me and B) have some idea what you're doing.

Muirium
µ

22 Oct 2015, 09:55

Ellipse wrote: No pre made cutout for a volume knob, sorry. You can drill a hole if needed.
Vizir wrote: Wouldn't drilling mess up the color at the drill location? Wonder if the volume can be controlled in software...
The original Kishsaver has something smarter than a simple circular hole in the bottom. It has a recessed curve, pressed into the metal at the same time as the rest of the case shape:
IMG_1585.JPG
IMG_1585.JPG (251.96 KiB) Viewed 5655 times
Xwhatsit's software allows you to alter the firing time of a beeper (or the two characteristic shunts of a solenoid: as it shifts out and back in) but not the intensity. I don't think that's even possible with his solenoid driver circuitry.

Seeing as we're talking about USB ports here: what does the new design's cable exit look like? Here's the original:
IMG_1588.JPG
IMG_1588.JPG (250.39 KiB) Viewed 5655 times
Could definitely be improved on. Of course, originally there was a broader, ribbed cable. What I have there instead is a USB cable for the replaced controller. (The USB mini cable that came with my HHKB in fact.)
Ellipse wrote: You will get enough flippers for your layout. If you need an extra one to switch layouts that is fine to request.
How many flippers are supplied by default? And what layouts are on offer? I'd go for this one, of course, but with split right Shift:

HHKB style!

andrewjoy

22 Oct 2015, 10:35

Thats the layout i want but with a normal shift for a normal person

Muirium
µ

22 Oct 2015, 10:37

We can't all be special, alas.

andrewjoy

22 Oct 2015, 10:54

i would go split if they made a cap that was not stepped.

Vizir

22 Oct 2015, 11:21

I'm having a difficult time deciding on which color I want... I had settled on black and then Muirium posts his kish and it's so beautiful!

darkspider

22 Oct 2015, 11:27

Vizir wrote: I'm having a difficult time deciding on which color I want... I had settled on black and then Muirium posts his kish and it's so beautiful!
I suggest you get both color :D

Vizir

22 Oct 2015, 11:31

darkspider wrote:
Vizir wrote: I'm having a difficult time deciding on which color I want... I had settled on black and then Muirium posts his kish and it's so beautiful!
I suggest you get both color :D
I wish! If I could I'd buy all variations in all color combinations... But with a new born and saving for a Tesla, finances are tight. Can only afford one. :cry:

Return to “Group buys”