The ugly award

HzFaq

13 Nov 2015, 11:35

andrewjoy wrote:
HzFaq wrote: My favourite ugly board, reeks of the 90's :D.

Remove the F row and that thing is quite nice
Alas, it is there though. Not only is it ugly, the non standard spacing makes it impossible to know which key you're hitting without looking. Despite all that it's one of my favourite boards, I think it's going to get some attention over the Christmas break (and possibly a wiki page if I really get my arse in gear).

Muirium
µ

13 Nov 2015, 11:40

The Big Ass Enter puts me off. But that function row has a certain 68k era charm to it. Besides, who ever needed function keys on a Mac? There's not even room for your [insert vintage pro app here] keyboard overlay!

terrycherry

14 Nov 2015, 05:22

Could say nice found...? I never seen this variant slider over dome before.

Findecanor

14 Nov 2015, 09:55

joc wrote: There was also a Star Trek version:
At least that one has "Space, The Final Frontier™" printed on the Space bar. :roll:

keycap

14 Nov 2015, 18:31

Muirium wrote: Image
Looks like lasered-PBT with white infill to me. The legends are already starting to fade.

Elrick

15 Nov 2015, 01:34

andrewjoy wrote:

You hardcore nasties, that is one beautiful looking keyboard :D .

Not everyone thinks an ""HHKB" is something to look at because it clearly isn't worth anyone's time nor interest.

Muirium
µ

15 Nov 2015, 01:39

Can't quite parse that last sentence. It's either the unmatched quote marks or the bit where you climbed up the telegraph pole and started singing about the end times.

Anywho, not all "HHKBs" have to be your dreaded Thorpies, you know! The layout works well on very different switches, too.

sarwanov

16 Nov 2015, 08:12

That's incredible !!

Miko

16 Nov 2015, 17:17

Halvar wrote: Are we posting unicorn puke?

I love it. But I'm red-green blind, so maybe the red and green combination does bother other people.

gogusrl

20 Nov 2015, 16:53

What's the model of the colorful cherry ? need to add it to my watch list :)

scottc

20 Nov 2015, 17:03

Where's the "save the environment" Cherry board? Or whatever it was -- I think Halvar posted it at one point!

Halvar

20 Nov 2015, 17:55

No, it wasn't me. I only have this one (not my picture though):

figit090

22 Nov 2015, 02:48

andrewjoy wrote:

HAHA, I have the transparent trackball version! Probably selling it soon, once I figure out a price. Kinda rare...lol.
HzFaq wrote: Alas, it is there though. Not only is it ugly, the non standard spacing makes it impossible to know which key you're hitting without looking. Despite all that it's one of my favourite boards, I think it's going to get some attention over the Christmas break (and possibly a wiki page if I really get my arse in gear).

I can submit photos of the transparent trackball version. ;)
Attachments
IMG_20151121_174619437.jpg
IMG_20151121_174619437.jpg (907.42 KiB) Viewed 5128 times

Hak Foo

22 Nov 2015, 07:59

I sort of like that little Datadesk board... the F-row caps being different reminds me of the Atari XE and ST series.

What bothers me tends to be subtle stuff:

Inconsistent typography. I got an Acer 6511 at a scrap shop for the caps... most of the keys are nice, but the ones with two legends have differing sizes between legends on the same cap.

Messed up or not-even-trying legends. Years ago, I bought a rubberdome board that was US ISO; I recall that whatever glyph they put on the key next to left shift, it was wrong.

Roundness. Fundamentally, a keyboard is gonna be rectangular or close due to the nature of it. Adding bulges makes you look like a $4.99 rubber dome trying to differentiate yourself in a crowded store shelf. I'm looking at you, Matias Tactile Pro.

HzFaq

22 Nov 2015, 10:03

figit090 wrote:
andrewjoy wrote:

HAHA, I have the transparent trackball version! Probably selling it soon, once I figure out a price. Kinda rare...lol.
HzFaq wrote: Alas, it is there though. Not only is it ugly, the non standard spacing makes it impossible to know which key you're hitting without looking. Despite all that it's one of my favourite boards, I think it's going to get some attention over the Christmas break (and possibly a wiki page if I really get my arse in gear).

I can submit photos of the transparent trackball version. ;)
Well, let me know if you do decide to sell, I'd be interested for sure if the price is right ;).

figit090

22 Nov 2015, 18:30

HzFaq wrote: Well, let me know if you do decide to sell, I'd be interested for sure if the price is right ;).
What would be a good price? The only listing I found was $150 from ergocanada new.

We'll see what happens.

elecplus

11 Dec 2015, 16:11

Eeewwww
20151211_090242~2.jpg
20151211_090242~2.jpg (643.41 KiB) Viewed 5023 times

HzFaq

11 Dec 2015, 16:14

HA, that'd be great for my 1 year old; won't matter if he pukes on it because it looks like someone already did :D.

scottc

11 Dec 2015, 16:57

It honestly looks like some of the SA Sets that people are pedalling on Massdrop and the likes..

Chyros

12 Dec 2015, 03:45

Ugh, that's so horrible xD .

codemonkeymike

12 Dec 2015, 03:55

@scottc like that McDonalds set mixed with troubled minds :)

scottc

12 Dec 2015, 04:02

I forgot there was a McDonald's set... :(

beltet

12 Oct 2016, 14:35

I want to necro this thread to add my contribution, found this on a flea market yesterday, but did not buy it. Kudos for the engravings though, and infill. Those engravings is so deep it would never wear.

fohat
Elder Messenger

12 Oct 2016, 15:08

These threads have come up from time to time.

Somebody once posted the "Kentucky Fried Chicken" keyboard which has to be way up there.
Attachments
JiZZ-magic-wand-Gx12-three-color-backlight-waterproof-gaming-special-keyboard-LOL-Dedicated-.jpg
JiZZ-magic-wand-Gx12-three-color-backlight-waterproof-gaming-special-keyboard-LOL-Dedicated-.jpg (311.4 KiB) Viewed 4891 times

Wodan
ISO Advocate

12 Oct 2016, 15:18

Is that the "Jizz Magic Wand"?

Seriously?

chzel

12 Oct 2016, 15:39

Well, you know how popular Hitachi's Magic Wand is. They have to capitalise on that.

Wodan
ISO Advocate

12 Oct 2016, 15:51

chzel wrote: Well, you know how popular Hitachi's Magic Wand is. They have to capitalise on that.
I have no idea what that is and don't know any movies with it.

fohat
Elder Messenger

12 Oct 2016, 15:58

Wodan wrote:
Seriously?
I hope that the flood of orders coming in from DT today does not overwhelm the factory.

chzel

12 Oct 2016, 16:00

Wodan wrote: I have no idea what that is and don't know any movies with it.
It's just a paramedical device... :mrgreen:
Wikipedia wrote:The Hitachi Magic Wand (renamed as Magic Wand Original and Original Magic Wand and referred to simply as Magic Wand) is an electrical, mains-powered vibrating massager, manufactured for relieving tension and relaxing sore muscles
I don't know of any movies either! :D

Return to “Gallery”