The wiki thread

ripster

09 Mar 2011, 01:02

Wah? I put my favorite nudie pics in the Geekhack Mechanical Keyboard Guide.
I've got the BEST legal team behind me to defend my usage rights too.
damn phpbb code

webwit
Wild Duck

09 Mar 2011, 01:17

My life will be complete once I gamed a search for IBM Model M to number one of the google results. It is now at position eight, excluding shopping and video results. It helped to get linked by position 1 and 2. In our next contest you will be asked to place this link in as many webpages as possible.

webwit
Wild Duck

09 Mar 2011, 01:21

By the way, totally unrelated, this is a picture of ripster (on the left, chloe on the right) explaining the operation of an ALPS switch:
ripster
ripster
ripster.jpg (12.96 KiB) Viewed 5529 times

ripster

09 Mar 2011, 03:52

Damn, Chloe is HAWT!

In other Wiki news I was disappointed that Sixty corrected the Zener Diodes as being in the Cherry MX switches. I would have commented on it here but the Wikis seem to be even more closed to discussion than the one at Overclock.net. At least here my posts don't keep getting erased and I get infraction points for saying "USB".

ripster

10 Mar 2011, 18:54

I found the most awesome introduction to a Wiki EVAH!

From the Flat Earth Society Wiki.
http://www.theflatearthsociety.org/tiki/tiki-index.php
Welcome to the Flat Earth Wiki, otherwise known as The FEW. This website is dedicated to unraveling the true mysteries of the universe and demonstrating that the earth is flat and that Round Earth doctrine is little more than an elaborate hoax.

Much of the experimental evidence for a Flat Earth is provided by Dr. Samuel Birley Rowbotham, a 19th century lecturer who traveled the isles of Britian giving lectures at many prominent universities of the day. His experimental evidence is very easily reproducible and requires only access to a long body of standing water and a little trig to conclude that water is not convex, that the surface of the earth does not curve as Round Earth doctrine mathematically predicts. Other experiments require only a stick and a plumb line. Each of the experiments are described in full in the Flat Earth Literature.

Throughout the years it has become a duty of each Flat Earth Society member, to meet the common Round Earther in the open, avowed, and unyielding rebellion; to declare that his reign of error and confusion is over; and that henceforth, like a falling dynasty, he must shrink and disappear, leaving the throne and the kingdom of science and philosophy to those awakening intellects whose numbers are constantly increasing, and whose march is rapid and irresistible. The soldiers of truth and reason of the Flat Earth Society have drawn the sword, and ere another generation has been educated and grown to maturity, will have forced the usurpers to abdicate. Like the decayed and crumbling trees of an ancient forest, rent and shattered by wind and storm, the hypothetical philosophies, which have hitherto cumbered the civilized world, are unable to resist the elements of experimental and logical criticism; and sooner or later must succumb to their assaults. The axe is uplifted for a final stroke - it is about to fall upon the primitive sphere of the earth, and the blow will surely “cut the cumberer down!”

IN VERITATE VICTORIA
These guys must be British. Can't think of who else would be that crazy.

"Burly Row The Bottom" makes me suspect a rat but with over 25,000 forum members the wiki can't be wrong.

ripster

11 Mar 2011, 20:33

Have you thought about more pictures in your wikis?

Like the Geekhack brand new "All About Scissor Switches Wiki".

I like pictures. And turtles.

webwit
Wild Duck

11 Mar 2011, 20:39

That wiki is unreadable. Unless you like to have some guy on a ego parade put his alias in your eyes dozens of times while recycling others' information.

ripster

12 Mar 2011, 00:49

I never let my ego get into my wikis.

Actually I just edited in why this entry from Wikipedia is wrong. Stupid InterToobs Wikis.
Scissor-switch keyboards are typically slightly more expensive and have a 'bouncier' feel to them, as the keys have scissor mechanisms to help them 'spring back' after the keyswitch is depressed
Next thing you'll know they'll get Zeners confused with other small signal diodes.

JBert

12 Mar 2011, 01:31

sixty wrote:Btw, we will have to decide what type of content we put in the wiki and what type of content we rather keep on the board. My suggestion is anything remotely close to a guide should be in the Workshop section, while the wiki only is home to real information.

Any other suggestions?
I disagree, it's not just the topic which should decide whether it belongs on the wiki or not.

If something gets posted in the forums and people start "contributing" ideas and start complaining about any inaccuracies in the thread's creator initial post, chance is it belongs on the wiki once some consensus has formed.

Same about guides: we could have 5 guide threads on how to bolt-mod your model M, but they do share some of their introduction and methods. Combining those guides into one wiki article might make the similarities and differences more obvious.

What all this cases have in common is interest: if some topic is popular, chances are people could use a central place to look for and add information. Simple pages might be nothing more than links to existing threads, better pages start to host their own contents.

daedalus
Buckler Of Springs

13 Mar 2011, 16:59

I've begun the process of porting sections of my IBM Wiki on Geekhack to the Deskthority wiki. To start off, I brought over the Unicomp section. See this and this. I'll add pictures in to the keyboard section when I get the chance.

ripster

21 Mar 2011, 18:29

Why are Cherry Switch Activation forces in a European Wiki listed in ounces?

Anyhoo I just found out my Yamaha upright activates at 95g. G is grams. I think it's a French thing.

daedalus
Buckler Of Springs

22 Mar 2011, 18:04

Probably someone taking data from the US specsheets. AFAIK, ounces are some thing used for measuring flour when I help my mother with baking. Can't be certain though.

ripster

24 Mar 2011, 18:29

OK, here's another one. I really like the section on different keyboard manufacturers but....

WHO IS THE KBC?????????

Are they a company? A hobbyist group placing group buys (like the "Geekhack Keyboard")? A sorta company?

After all there are two group buys going on and despite me asking this question in both the Geekhack and Deskthority "Buy Your Poker Here!" threads I haven't gotten a straight answer.

sixty
Gasbag Guru

24 Mar 2011, 18:38

I'll ask and see if I can actually find out some proper info.

ripster

24 Mar 2011, 21:23

Thanks. I'm not questioning their honesty, but might make a difference when it comes to warranty service and support.

sixty
Gasbag Guru

24 Mar 2011, 21:41

They do offer RMA. I can tell you that for sure, since as distributor for Europe I will have to take care of that too. I assume they will give me a few more than needed so I can swap defect boards.

7bit

16 Apr 2011, 10:49

Is there a trick with TOC in the wiki?

7bit

16 Apr 2011, 12:28

7bit wrote:Is there a trick with TOC in the wiki?
OK, problem solved!
It just requires a minimum number of sections and sub-sections.

webwit
Wild Duck

16 Apr 2011, 12:52

Great work, looking good!

7bit

16 Apr 2011, 13:23

webwit wrote:Great work, looking good!
Thanks!

Just send me my RollerMouse Free 2. You know my address.

Thanks again!

runeazn

16 Apr 2011, 21:35

lol snagging the good parts for yourself ;)

7bit

16 Apr 2011, 22:11

I messed up the front page of the wiki.
:o :shock: :?
I hope you like it!
:ugeek:

runeazn

16 Apr 2011, 23:01

lol nice XD

webwit
Wild Duck

16 Apr 2011, 23:03

Please stop flooding the place. Go take a dump on your mamma.

runeazn

16 Apr 2011, 23:07

i dont like to say this but heck is this getting OCN?

webwit
Wild Duck

16 Apr 2011, 23:14

Flooding might lead to disqualification for the Contour contest.

runeazn

16 Apr 2011, 23:34

i aint anymore.. and i wasnt trying to do it, i just wanted to explore all sections.
but i cant help it if somebody doesnt post in a section for over an half an hour and that then my name still appears as last post.

webwit
Wild Duck

16 Apr 2011, 23:56

7bit wrote:I messed up the front page of the wiki.
I hope you like it!
Yes! I really like the better index / overview of topics, often a weak point of wiki. Only too much colors, it should repeat the rgb of the sections above.

7bit

17 Apr 2011, 00:24

webwit wrote:
7bit wrote:I messed up the front page of the wiki.
I hope you like it!
Yes! I really like the better index / overview of topics, often a weak point of wiki. Only too much colors, it should repeat the rgb of the sections above.
If we re-use the exact colors, most people will think these are the same topics twice!

ps: don't worry about those empty categories. I will fill them up within the next 2 weeks (except for the 'ergonomic' keyboards).

webwit
Wild Duck

17 Apr 2011, 00:46

I think it will be fine because of the labels. The problem with more colors is that we lose our rgb theme, and get a something with lots of colors theme back. So its more of a house style problem. With rgb you get something like this (also using white labels).
wiki.jpg
wiki.jpg (150.69 KiB) Viewed 5298 times
We do have a fourth color black if it's any use.

Return to “Deskthority wiki talk”