Ergodox massdrop groupbuy discussion

korne

10 Jan 2013, 21:58

No shipping to spain and no pictures of aluminium case = fail :S

gdaian

10 Jan 2013, 22:06

Their build instructions are not regwalled: https://www.massdrop.com/dox-ergo.php for those who want to take a look.

I'd much rather see the group buy happen here, in the spirit of a community project and for the added flexibility. Since I am located in Europe, it may even end up being cheaper.

If 7bit or someone else wants to step forward, please do. Some of us are very tempted by the prospect of typing on an ErgoDox a month from now, which is what MD is promising. Some of us have low impulse control when it comes to this sort of thing.

judascleric

10 Jan 2013, 22:33

I was really excited to see that the group buy is actually happening, but I won't be getting one through MassDrop. I already have all the components so even removing switches means that PCBs and a case will run me $182 - $230 depending on the buyer numbers.

I'm not expecting the buyer count to get any higher than about 50 since the number of interested people was about 150 to start with. I don't think the final price tier will be hit.

damorgue

10 Jan 2013, 22:37

webwit wrote:
Please 7bit and webwit, try to keep it constructive, for the sake of the discussion.
And more attacks based on the fact that someone dares to criticize such a service.

Perhaps you be more constructive yourself? You and AloisiusFauxly ploinked the opinion by attacking the messenger. Where are your counter-arguments? There were none. You are proving my point. Is this what it will be? Don't use a commercial 3rd party service, get attacked by reddit/digg crowd?
You have me confused with someone else. I too am arguing against Massdrop. I am merely attempting to explain to AloisiusFauxly among others why it is bad, as opposed to just stating it, which doesn't help the cause.

Tafryn

10 Jan 2013, 22:47

gdaian wrote:Their build instructions are not regwalled: https://www.massdrop.com/dox-ergo.php for those who want to take a look.
If nothing else, Massdrop seems to make a decent manual.

sinis

10 Jan 2013, 22:51

Can somebody update the First Post?
Copy Pasta the Massdrop Info?
Please?

Jim66

10 Jan 2013, 22:54

I have no idea what's going on here anymore.

AloisiusFauxly

11 Jan 2013, 00:23

There's a group buy happening at Massdrop (requires registration), which so far is the only way to get an Ergodox. They have the following price breaks for a full kit minus keycaps depending on qty (right now 12 have been bought):

10-24: $274
25-49: $239
50-99: $226
100+: $199

You can choose from Cherry black, brown, blue, or clear, or you can opt for no switches to save $44 on the above prices.

You can get extra PCBs for $22 each (need two for a full keyboard), but currently no way to get just a pcb.

Acrylic case like litster's, either the compact version or with integrated wrist rests. They also have an option for aircraft-grade aluminum for an extra $65. They are apparently working on a prototype of it. Also no way to get just a case (boo).

They're going to run a GB soon for keycaps at "between 45 and 60 for the set" according to amidwinter who emailed MD about it.

ic07

11 Jan 2013, 00:40

Jim66 wrote:I have no idea what's going on here anymore.
AloisiusFauxly wrote:There's a group buy happening at Massdrop ... ... ...
To summarize a little differently:

From a practical standpoint, we have:
  • 7bit might organize a group buy later; if he does it will be more configurable and less expensive, but take much longer to ship.
  • Massdrop is organizing a group buy now; it's less configurable than we'd like (though, they seem to be fixing the most important parts of that) and a little more expensive, but it's shipping soon after the buy closes in ~18 days.
Splitting the buy raises the price for everyone, but waiting another ... how long? ... for 7bit's tentative buy isn't something I'd willingly do, given other options. Of course, paying a commercial company to organize for us appears to be something various other people won't willing do, given the prospect of other options. So I don't see any other way about it.

FWIW, since visitors may not have the advantage of reading so far back, and there's been a lot of negative Massdrop sentiment lately, I may as well say that I think they've shown a lot of good faith:
  • They built a prototype to check their suppliers, and post pictures for us (I'm sure this was in their best interest too, but it's still pleasant)
  • They wrote directions for us (which I really was hoping someone besides me would do)
  • They updated their TOS (perhaps in direct response to comments in this thread)
  • They've been adding options, as they indicated they would, to the group buy posting
  • They've been responding promptly to the emails of several users who have reported back here
Only 14 people have committed to buy at the moment, but if I'm not way too atypical, I'm sure that will increase: I'm just waiting till they post all the options I want before I officially register to buy. Then again, even if they don't change their options any more than they have, I'll still buy at least 1 kit... since that would be easier and more fun than desoldering the blues from the prototype ErgoDox I already have to put browns in when mine come.

Also FWIW, I do feel sorry for everyone in Europe, with shipping costs so much higher, etc. Wish there was something we could do about that, but I can't think of any suggestions everyone would like.

AloisiusFauxly

11 Jan 2013, 00:41

@damorgue - Oh, I don't doubt that 7bit or another DT/GH member could run a better GB than MD could, but again the problem is that no one has taken the reins. It might not be optimal in terms of serving the community, but as you said MD has been quite accommodating and most importantly they're actually doing it instead of just talking about it on a forum.

AloisiusFauxly

11 Jan 2013, 00:45

ic07 wrote:Also FWIW, I do feel sorry for everyone in Europe, with shipping costs so much higher, etc. Wish there was something we could do about that, but I can't think of any suggestions everyone would like.
Could always have an EU person be the recipient of multiple Massdrop kits as long as they would combine shipping. A GB within a GB!

gdaian

11 Jan 2013, 02:09

ic07 wrote:I'm just waiting till they post all the options I want before I officially register to buy.
In an email, they told me that you can cancel or update orders at any time.
AloisiusFauxly wrote:Could always have an EU person be the recipient of multiple Massdrop kits as long as they would combine shipping. A GB within a GB!
Hey that's an excellent idea! Now, to bypass customs... :twisted:

shawn

11 Jan 2013, 02:24

Hey guys, I ordered 2 of the kits from massdrop. I also talked to Weyman @ wasdkeybaords.com (I have no affiliation with wasdkeyboards.com) because I want to get fancy laser etched keycaps with a custom pattern. here is what he said:
I didn't know Massdrop was going to run this. I put in an order myself today. We can definitely work something out for these kits. Pricing will be higher than a normal set due to the number of 1.5 keys needed. When we order in normal 104 key sets, so one of these sets would use up 6 sets worth of 1.5 keys. If there's some interest from at least several people, I can put together a new layout file for everyone to use specifically for the ErgoDox. For pricing, we would be looking at around $80 per set.
Do you need custom pattern laser etched keycaps? No. Will it make a cool keyboard cooler? Yes.. Yes it will. :)

Pretty awesome that Weyman ordered a keybaord as well. hehe.

Can't wait.

ironman31

11 Jan 2013, 02:31

Are they pbt plastic?

bisl

11 Jan 2013, 02:34

shawn wrote:
I didn't know Massdrop was going to run this. I put in an order myself today. We can definitely work something out for these kits. Pricing will be higher than a normal set due to the number of 1.5 keys needed. When we order in normal 104 key sets, so one of these sets would use up 6 sets worth of 1.5 keys. If there's some interest from at least several people, I can put together a new layout file for everyone to use specifically for the ErgoDox. For pricing, we would be looking at around $80 per set.
Shawn, you should definitely post this in the GH thread, as well. http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=22780.1020

litster

11 Jan 2013, 02:37

It is awesome that Weyman would do a custom ergodox layout for us. Weyman helped us to get costar stabilizer parts for Phantom GB as well. Great guy, super helpful!

ic07

11 Jan 2013, 02:42

gdaian wrote:In an email, they told me that you can cancel or update orders at any time.
True, true. They also said (near the bottom of the buy page) that they'll be happy to take special requests, so I'm not worried - just trading a bit a patience for a bit of convenience :)

bisl

11 Jan 2013, 02:48

Speaking from experience, it's actually quite easy to update your order--you just go to Payment History and every unit you've committed to purchasing appears there, and can be edited individually. I tried this out after deciding that I wanted to go with the Full-Hand route instead of the Classic case (no wrist rest). Presumably, this will work as well if other options for switches are introduced.

sordna

11 Jan 2013, 05:52

Hmm, I wonder if it's easy to install palm keys (arcade buttons) in the Full-Hand acrylic ErgoDox case, such as in my Kinesis extra keys mod
Spoiler:
Is the palm area solid, or does it have empty space, and what are the dimensions in that area ?

AloisiusFauxly

11 Jan 2013, 06:32

Neat! The case is made up of 5 layers of acrylic fastened with screws, so that mod is doable as long as the overall thickness + foot height can accommodate the button.

sordna

11 Jan 2013, 06:50

I'm using seimitsu PS-15, they take less amount of space inside the case compared to other arcade buttons, just 21mm which can be reduced by another 5mm if you bend the terminals.
I use the arcade buttons for shift (or Fn layer occasionally), and it's a huge relief to my pinky fingers.

AloisiusFauxly

11 Jan 2013, 07:40

Yeah, my Sanwa 30s are pretty tall.

Since the case is solid acrylic and apparently 25mm thick, you'll want to drill out the mounting hole through most/all layers (not the bottom if you bend the terminals) and then notch out a channel for the wires in one of the layers (probably the second to bottom as seen here). There are two unused keys in each thumb cluster, so I think you can keep the runs short.

Vierax

11 Jan 2013, 08:33

Since I read the ErgoDox mounting manual provided by MD, I wonder what is the function of the two 2.2KΩ resistors ?

AloisiusFauxly

11 Jan 2013, 09:09

IIRC, they're pull-down/up resistors for the I2C communication between the halves.

dirge

11 Jan 2013, 09:23

shawn wrote:Hey guys, I ordered 2 of the kits from massdrop. I also talked to Weyman @ wasdkeybaords.com (I have no affiliation with wasdkeyboards.com) because I want to get fancy laser etched keycaps with a custom pattern. here is what he said:
Do you need custom pattern laser etched keycaps? No. Will it make a cool keyboard cooler? Yes.. Yes it will. :)

Pretty awesome that Weyman ordered a keybaord as well. hehe.

Can't wait.
Good going bud! What about etched? I think they look a bit better. and pbt all the way :)

shawn

11 Jan 2013, 09:53

I opted out of the key switches so far, because I wanted to get brown switches.

When I source these, should I be getting the MX1A-G1NN (plate mount) or the MX1A-G1NW (pcb mount) ? From reading the ergodox pcb will support both.

I online chatted with jasperchan @ massdrop and he said the ones they are using are plate mount.

Any pros and cons of each I should be aware of?

Thanks.

dirge

11 Jan 2013, 10:02

http://www.cherrycorp.com/english/switches/key/mx.htm

That should have all the info you need bud. :)

basically plastic pins either side.

bjarven

11 Jan 2013, 10:06

AloisiusFauxly wrote: Could always have an EU person be the recipient of multiple Massdrop kits as long as they would combine shipping. A GB within a GB!
It seems like they add $20 for each kit, so there are no savings in ordering multiple kits. :( For that reason I've only commited to one, and will get another one if it reaches 100 joined. If not, I will at least have one to satisfy my longing for an ergodox, and then perhaps get another 1-2 if there's a groupbuy here at DT?
sordna wrote:Hmm, I wonder if it's easy to install palm keys (arcade buttons) in the Full-Hand acrylic ErgoDox case, such as in my Kinesis extra keys mod
Spoiler:
Is the palm area solid, or does it have empty space, and what are the dimensions in that area ?
Hmm this is interesting, I thought I had decided on the classic case but now I might have to get the larger one, because this is an interesing mod. :)

Oh and if there's anyone in Sweden that's interested in only the pcbs, pm me and I could add them to my order and send to you.

shawn

11 Jan 2013, 10:15

dirge wrote: That should have all the info you need bud. :)

basically plastic pins either side.
Thank you for the reply.

I understand the difference between them (much better now with the picture you found); but is there any practical reason why I would choose one over the other? Or due to getting the acrylic case, I pretty much have to use the plate mount ones?

Again Thanks. :)

AloisiusFauxly

11 Jan 2013, 10:21

shawn wrote:I understand the difference between them (much better now with the picture you found); but is there any practical reason why I would choose one over the other?
Price. If you have a plate there's little need for the pins.

Return to “Group buys”