Keyboards from Santa's Candy Castle

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

20 Jul 2015, 01:56

Here in Indiana, USA, we have a town called Santa Claus. Yes, it's actually called Santa Claus, perhaps you've heard of it. The town has many Christmas-themed stores and attractions, including the famous Holiday World theme park (which was the purpose of my visit there).

While in town, I was dragged to Santa's Candy Castle with shelves filled with various confections and goodies. We withheld from all the sugary treats except the featured frozen hot chocolate (an oxymoron, I know). While touring the small castle, I noticed a couple brightly colored keyboards in the computer room. I had to snap a couple pictures for your viewing pleasure. Without further ado:
DSC_0106.jpg
DSC_0106.jpg (761.92 KiB) Viewed 6878 times
DSC_0107.jpg
DSC_0107.jpg (873.01 KiB) Viewed 6878 times

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

20 Jul 2015, 02:00

Just noticed it's a matrix keyboard. Nice.

Not a fan of that bottom row cluster on the second keyboard, though.

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

20 Jul 2015, 03:47

A printed space bar?

whoaaaaa

scottc

20 Jul 2015, 11:00

I actually own the second one... my family thought it would be funny to give it to me as a Christmas present. :cry:

andrewjoy

20 Jul 2015, 11:41

Is that comic sans on a keyboard ?

Kill me Kill me now !

We has something similar when i worked in the library, for one of the kids PC's. but ours had complicated white alps !!
Last edited by andrewjoy on 20 Jul 2015, 11:48, edited 1 time in total.

wlhlm
~

20 Jul 2015, 11:47

andrewjoy wrote: Is that comic sans on a keyboard ?

Kill me Kill me now !!!
I think it fits well with the overall theme of the keyboard. :P

andrewjoy

20 Jul 2015, 11:48

Comic sans does not fit anywhere, its one of the worst things created by human kind.

wlhlm
~

20 Jul 2015, 12:11

I meant that the keyboard is an abomination either way and Comic Sans is just the icing on the cake.

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

20 Jul 2015, 12:13

So these are not for children and learning purposes?

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

20 Jul 2015, 12:38

seebart wrote: So these are not for children and learning purposes?
Yes, they are. It was in a children's computer room with Christmas-themed games.

Good catch on the comic sans, people. That might make this into the worst keyboard of all time.

seebart

20 Jul 2015, 12:46

vivalarevolución wrote:
seebart wrote: So these are not for children and learning purposes?
Yes, they are. It was in a children's computer room with Christmas-themed games.

Good catch on the comic sans, people. That might make this into the worst keyboard of all time.
In that case I don't think you can judge it like we do keyboards here. Sure I think it's ugly as hell too. But kids might like it and have fun typing on it.

Muirium
µ

20 Jul 2015, 13:09

Comic Sans is horrible. But Arial (the font on the first keyboard) is worse. Not just goofy but a thing of calculated evil:

http://www.marksimonson.com/notebook/vi ... e-of-arial

Fortunately Arial's been slowly dying since then, along with Windows. I mostly see it on leaflets for local Thai restaurants, on the side of private hire taxis, or old websites now. Still popular, but losing its vile crusade against Helvetica for sure. Cheap, thieving bastards!

Anyway, let's judge: what were the switches? If these boards were MX or Alps (let alone something nice) then they are by definition better than most of the dross out there. Just in disguise!

seebart

20 Jul 2015, 13:18

It's a keyboard for children for god's sake. You guys wanna go into detail on this? WTF?

andrewjoy

20 Jul 2015, 13:23

arial is nowhere near as bad as comic sans.

Its not a nice font but at least it does not have bloody serifs on it

http://www.fontsquirrel.com/fonts/list/ ... tion/serif

I have used one of them with alps and the huge caps , good luck touch typing on that , off centre hit = no letter for you :P

seebart

20 Jul 2015, 13:28

Andrew, if you're gonna review this I expect you to get a child age 6 to 10 as part of the review. I want an extensive video test moderated by Chyros. I also expect Chyros to interview the Children!

:evilgeek:

Muirium
µ

20 Jul 2015, 13:40

Can we just act like children instead? Those buggers aren't so good at delivering scripted lines. You can tell when they're reading pre-written jokes. Their eyes dart around. LOOK AT THE CAMERA, KID, OR NO FILCO FOR YOU!!

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

20 Jul 2015, 23:56

Muirium wrote: Can we just act like children instead? Those buggers aren't so good at delivering scripted lines. You can tell when they're reading pre-written jokes. Their eyes dart around. LOOK AT THE CAMERA, KID, OR NO FILCO FOR YOU!!
We already act like children, no need to change up the behavior.

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

21 Jul 2015, 00:26

Sorry can't resist, here are some non-keyboard photos from the land of Santa Claus:
Spoiler:
DSCN0967.jpg
DSCN0967.jpg (958.16 KiB) Viewed 6662 times
DSCN0962.jpg
DSCN0962.jpg (943.19 KiB) Viewed 6662 times
DSC_0109.jpg
DSC_0109.jpg (857.7 KiB) Viewed 6662 times
DSCN0963.jpg
DSCN0963.jpg (914.99 KiB) Viewed 6662 times

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

22 Jul 2015, 18:34

We visit Holiday World quite a bit. Not sure that I've ever been to the shops though.

Compgeke

23 Jul 2015, 17:05

I actually have one of those Crayola boards. Makes a great car hood prop being the perfect size to fit between the relay box and hood with the hood full open.

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

23 Jul 2015, 22:14

Blaise170 wrote: We visit Holiday World quite a bit. Not sure that I've ever been to the shops though.
The shops are a little much. Do you like Splashin Safari?
Compgeke wrote: I actually have one of those Crayola boards. Makes a great car hood prop being the perfect size to fit between the relay box and hood with the hood full open.

That's probably the best use for that particular board.

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

24 Jul 2015, 05:45

vivalarevolución wrote: The shops are a little much. Do you like Splashin Safari?
Yeah it's pretty nice especially when Kentucky Kingdom went bankrupt. Probably won't be visiting Indiana quite as much now, at least for swimming. ;)

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

24 Jul 2015, 17:33

Blaise170 wrote:
vivalarevolución wrote: The shops are a little much. Do you like Splashin Safari?
Yeah it's pretty nice especially when Kentucky Kingdom went bankrupt. Probably won't be visiting Indiana quite as much now, at least for swimming. ;)
Love Splashin Safari. Most fun I've had in a long time
time.

Return to “Gallery”