Video for sound sample of IBM 5251

Game Theory
Mr. Despair

01 Oct 2013, 05:03

Note you will be able to hear our dog whimpering in the background. :roll:

Daniel

01 Oct 2013, 09:11

Great video, it sounds deeper than a Model M. How would you describe the keyfeel compared to a Model M?

Muirium
µ

01 Oct 2013, 11:18

Hard to tell (as microphones vary widely on what they pick up) but it sounds crinkly compared to the one beam spring I know. I was on it again the other day, but forgot to bring my mic, damn it! Because I've been recording all my keyboards with the same gear and settings for a fair comparison. The beam spring, however, isn't mine.

The feel is smooth travel and sharp click, like a good Model M, but subtler. The clicks are more like taps, to my ears, from this one board. And the spring weight has a different buildup. Progressive, like Model M and especially Model F, but more like a Topre in the way it builds up. There's a curve to it.

I do really like these boards, and best of all their tall spherical caps. Smaller contact area on the top than SA or Honeywell caps, so you really feel the sphere shape. They're very toothy!

webwit
Wild Duck

01 Oct 2013, 23:16

Game Theory wrote:Note you will be able to hear our dog whimpering in the background. :roll:
Yeah right. Admit it, that is yourself. This is what a working beamspring keyboard does to a man.

daedalus
Buckler Of Springs

02 Oct 2013, 02:28

Daniel wrote:Great video, it sounds deeper than a Model M. How would you describe the keyfeel compared to a Model M?
For most of the travel, it's a bit like a linear switch, then it just gives way with an almighty snap. I find it pretty much impossible to not bottom out on them, but due to the dampers around the keystems, and the fact that nothing makes contact with the underlying when the switch actuates, this isn't really a problem. I don't know whether it's more or less tactile than a Model F, but it's such a smooth, light and clean feeling switch that it doesn't really matter. It seems to me like there is slightly less travel in the switch compared with a buckling spring mechanism.

Oh, and they are loud. They don't have the ping of the M/F, but this is definitely not something to bring into the office, one way or another :D

tlt

02 Oct 2013, 08:12

Would be interesting to try out a switch like that. I get a sens of what it should feel like by you description but that just makes me want to try it.

REVENGE

02 Oct 2013, 08:21

webwit wrote:Yeah right. Admit it, that is yourself. This is what a working beamspring keyboard does to a man.
I admit, this is what not owning a beamspring keyboard does to a man.

mr_a500

02 Oct 2013, 15:14

daedalus wrote:It seems to me like there is slightly less travel in the switch compared with a buckling spring mechanism.
Yes, I noticed that too. I'm not sure if there actually is less travel, but it feels like it. As for the sound, for some reason it reminds me of those old metal jack-in-the-box toys - that clunky metal click when you crank it.
(...but I haven't cranked a jack-in-the-box for quite a few decades, so I could be wrong :) )

Return to “Keyboards”