LEGO Is Investing Millions To Ditch Their Oil-Based Plastics In Search

derzemel

23 Feb 2016, 22:05

http://www.infoblizzard.com/the-blog-sm ... d-plastics

LEGO toys are made from ABS plastic. I am very curios to see if they will find an alternative and how it will affect the rest of the plastic manufacturing world, especially since ABS is the workhorse of the plastic industry.

Muirium
µ

23 Feb 2016, 23:28

The truncated title made me wonder at first glance if Lego is entering the search engine market. Man, we could use a big new player that isn't stuck in the USA. Because that's one crucial point of failure if I ever saw one. All it takes is a bad president and bad congress, and we're all fucked, worldwide.

But yeah, also plastics.

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

23 Feb 2016, 23:30

We've currently have both the bad Congress and bad president, depending on who you ask.

Muirium
µ

23 Feb 2016, 23:31

You'll see.

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

23 Feb 2016, 23:39

vivalarevolución wrote: We've currently have both the bad Congress and bad president, depending on who you ask.
The way it's looking now it could get worse, much worse. Over here we're already stuck with:
Spoiler:
Maxium grumpyness:
tumblr_mo8tis7taT1srk8uyo1_500.jpg
tumblr_mo8tis7taT1srk8uyo1_500.jpg (31.64 KiB) Viewed 5529 times

Muirium
µ

23 Feb 2016, 23:57

Angela Merkel's great, you whiner! Seriously, you should give our government in London a shot. (Preferably in each kneecap.) You guys haven't just lost all your European friends, all for a sudden surge against you in the polls for that referendum you wish you never promised. <Golf clap>

(Also: hi Scott!)

seebart

24 Feb 2016, 00:04

You may find her great Mu, but she's not doing so great. I really don't have anything against the lady but it seems like this whole refugee situation is too much for her to handle. She' seems alsmost unrealistc about the whole situation. Her polls are down, way down, the next elections will tell...what's way worse is the EU slowly crumbling away...

guk
1896 Vintage Reds

24 Feb 2016, 00:06

Merkels of the universe

Muirium
µ

24 Feb 2016, 00:07

Yeah, I hold her in higher esteem than the rogues gallery representing us over here. (As usual, we Scots never voted for them.) And higher than that buffoon Schröder. She plays the game well, but the cards are getting pretty bleak for all of us at the moment.

Also, I rocked that hairdo for a while in the 80s. I mean, I'm blond, it was only right!

fohat
Elder Messenger

24 Feb 2016, 00:14

Muirium wrote:
getting pretty bleak for all of us at the moment
Why is the proletariat, worldwide, so terrified of bringing sanity to the political table?

Muirium
µ

24 Feb 2016, 00:16

The media.

Next question!

seebart

24 Feb 2016, 00:21

I don't think that they are fohat, but this current refugee situation here in the EU is really seriously bad for everyone involved. And it's not getting solved any time soon. And there's no fictional wall built by anyone like that trumpet guy keeps telling his voters, in fact that would be the worst thing. But several EU members are starting to close down their borders already eventough they are not really permitted to do so. Of course the cause for much of this is the war in Syria. Who can blame those poor peole for having to flee?

Muirium
µ

24 Feb 2016, 00:24

Lots of right wing loonies, that's who.

We've seen their arguments here on DT when this topic comes up. Supposedly some high percentage of refugees are single adult males. Ergo terrorists.

seebart

24 Feb 2016, 00:37

Yup that's the worst "side effect", there's a big shift to the political far right across Europe. Looka at Hungary for example and now Poland. We just had some disturbing shit going one here the other day:

guk
1896 Vintage Reds

24 Feb 2016, 00:43

Muirium wrote: That buffoon Schröder.

Also, I rocked that hairdo for a while in the 80s. I mean, I'm blond, it was only right!

Hmm..
Also, didn't you mention that you are no fan of Star Wars?

Muirium
µ

24 Feb 2016, 00:50

Neither was Alec Guiness:

@Seebart: Don't forget the followup:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/f ... ny-germany

To be fair, I could see exactly the same thing happen in eastern England (hello Great Grimsby…) if Cameron's lot had been damn foolish to let in more Syrians than they have Russian oligarchs. The mood is Europe-wide. Except, apparently, up here in snow white, culturally monolithic Scotland! Our migrants always end up in London.

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

24 Feb 2016, 01:07

So Legos, huh?

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

24 Feb 2016, 01:09

Muirium wrote: Lots of right wing loonies, that's who.

We've seen their arguments here on DT when this topic comes up. Supposedly some high percentage of refugees are single adult males. Ergo terrorists.
No I mean not families. Young men in their 20-30s that are able bodied. Economic migrants many of them, not refugees.

Muirium
µ

24 Feb 2016, 01:23

If they're from Syria, they're a refugee. Let's put it that way. Those poor bastards face slaughter back home.
vivalarevolución wrote: So Legos, huh?
Not so fast! Besides, they are Lego, in the plural, too. <Slides bifocal glasses up nose.>

scottc

24 Feb 2016, 01:27

Oh hey, look, another "Europe" thread!

Muirium
µ

24 Feb 2016, 01:28

Yeah, what ya gonna do about it: Irexit?

guk
1896 Vintage Reds

24 Feb 2016, 01:31

Migrate to Poland?

Muirium
µ

24 Feb 2016, 01:35

If only Canada wasn't just as shitty for importing keyboards. Other than that, it's quite nice. Loads of cantankerous Scots over there too. Like most everywhere…

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

24 Feb 2016, 02:19

Muirium wrote: If only Canada wasn't just as shitty for importing keyboards. Other than that, it's quite nice. Loads of cantankerous Scots over there too. Like most everywhere…
I recommend getting to work on your Nova Scotian accent.

ohaimark
Kingpin

24 Feb 2016, 02:44

I think that accent might be a scosche difficult to master. ;)

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

24 Feb 2016, 04:19

ohaimark wrote: I think that accent might be a scosche difficult to master. ;)
There are some phenomenal videos out there of Nova Scotians just in conversation, I wish I could find them.

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

24 Feb 2016, 11:54

Muirium wrote: If they're from Syria, they're a refugee. Let's put it that way. Those poor bastards face slaughter back home.
Many are not from Syria. Many are from Afghanistan and Somalia. They should be attempting to fix the problems in these countries or leave the problem alone. Or have you not noticed the spiraling amount of rape in the countries such as Sweden, accepting these "refugees"?

It is very easy to be the nice guy that likes to help people. But the real world isn't nice. The refugees only care about Islam, not the citizens of the countries letting them in. Western media does not want to cover these things because it isn't "progressive" or "tolerant".

A few articles I'm gonna just drop here:
http://www.frontpagemag.com/point/26039 ... greenfield
https://muslimstatistics.wordpress.com/ ... opulation/
https://www.rt.com/news/328628-german-p ... -refugees/

Sorry for posting off topic :oops:

derzemel

24 Feb 2016, 12:01

oh, wow, this is a textbook example of the DT thread kidnapping :))))

Madhias
BS TORPE

24 Feb 2016, 12:16

Why do I even look in these threads! Only to be upset later of political viewpoints of various strangers on the internet!

andrewjoy

24 Feb 2016, 12:21

Well the exact extent that people coming to the EU that are genuine refugees or economic migrants is not known but i would say its towards the latter, this is however a discussion for another thread.

Anyway back on topic.

Its going to be hard to find a plastic that has the same properties as ABS without using petrochemicals, lets face it PLA is shit , its only use is for plastic bags and printing the support material form your 3d printer so you don't waste ABS.

There are lots of properties they need to match , hard wearing , shiny surface , slightly flexible so they snap together but stiff enough to give that satisfying click.

Return to “Off-topic”