Who cycles?

Ascaii
The Beard

13 Apr 2015, 19:23

Necro because i feel like it. Finally, summer is here and I am back on my bike every day...just came back from an invigorating evening 10k run.

Last year, I managed to destroy my chainwheel and decided to replace it with a lightweight single speed model, since i mostly ride in the city. I used to think about changing it over to a pure single speed (see my old posts in this thread), but the past year has shown it is good to have a few options on the back wheel for me.

Who else is back on their two wheels?

Muirium
µ

13 Apr 2015, 20:05

Any more than a few days away from bikes makes me ache. Honestly, I've terrible posture, I need the exercise!

Like you, I've got a single chainring on the front. A 46T, something like this. Had it on for maybe six months now. Solid, but needs a bash guard. They're hard to find up at that size, I simply reused the one that came with the bike.

Anyway, right now I'm in San Diego, which is canyon country. My brother's got a bike especially for those: a monster 29 inch wheeler with knobbly tyres for the sand and hydraulic suspension for the cracks. Amazing stuff. And for the first time ever I found a humongous bike helmet that fits me. I could get used to this place!

I'll post some pictures of the terrain when I've a moment to dig through the library. It's dirt bike nirvana out there in the sun.

ramnes
ПБТ НАВСЕГДА

13 Apr 2015, 20:11

I was on a bike the whole winter, but now my two bikes are in bad shape and I can't find enough time to fix them. :(

Bianchi. <3

Ascaii
The Beard

13 Apr 2015, 20:17

Right, I should take a picture of my bike and post it, haha

Khers

13 Apr 2015, 20:22

I live so close to work that I don't really need a bike for my daily commute, it's faster to walk tbh... I would never be without as bike though but I mainly use my, pretty nice in it's day, Eddy Merckx iron horse for complementary endurance training. For when my knees can't take running.
Last edited by Khers on 13 Apr 2015, 20:28, edited 1 time in total.

Stabilized

13 Apr 2015, 20:26

I have been walking instead of commuting by bike recently, could really do with some trips though as I have a cycle tour booked for this Summer: Via Claudia Augusta (lowest altitude route across the alps)

Anyone on here into cycle touring?

Madhias
BS TORPE

13 Apr 2015, 21:33

Regular drive-to-work-and-home cycler here! It is a distance long enough for being more sports than normal cycling for me - 15km one direction, not really flat. Therefor I have a nice bike, all the tools, and really enjoy repairing everything for myself. I also built my bike completey from parts I bought in various stores or used ones.
Ascaii wrote: I used to think about changing it over to a pure single speed (see my old posts in this thread), but the past year has shown it is good to have a few options on the back wheel for me.
I have also only one chaindrive, a rather big one, 48T, and in the back 1x10. I really like it! Driving longer distances in the hills is too tiring though with this setup.

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

15 Apr 2015, 01:26

You can hate me for this, but I ride a fixed gear most of the year. I love the simplicity and low maintenance. Plus, it keeps some good definition in my legs. Although it's a rust pit after all the winter riding and I need to clean it up.

scottc

15 Apr 2015, 01:28

I can't ride a bike.

...seriously. It's ridiculous. Maybe I should finally learn.

Muirium
µ

15 Apr 2015, 01:42

Better get some kneepads! Could be quite the adventure for a late learner. Fortunately, you really do never forget. There was 10-15 years I never once rode a bike, but I was fine when I got back on the saddle.

@Pr: My first bike after that hiatus was indeed a single speed. I eventually shattered the rear sprocket to pieces with all my over-torque on Edinburgh's hills. Great way to find your limits, though, if you go exploring.

scottc

15 Apr 2015, 01:43

Muirium wrote: Better get some kneepads! Could be quite the adventure for a late learner. Fortunately, you really do never forget. There was 10-15 years I never once rode a bike, but I was fine when I got back on the saddle.
Sounds like it was just like riding a bike! Oh, er, wait a second...

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

15 Apr 2015, 03:00

Muirium wrote: Better get some kneepads! Could be quite the adventure for a late learner. Fortunately, you really do never forget. There was 10-15 years I never once rode a bike, but I was fine when I got back on the saddle.

@Pr: My first bike after that hiatus was indeed a single speed. I eventually shattered the rear sprocket to pieces with all my over-torque on Edinburgh's hills. Great way to find your limits, though, if you go exploring.
There are literally like four hills in this entire county, so exploring isn't too difficult around here.

Muirium
µ

15 Apr 2015, 06:35

San Diego, meanwhile, is built on canyons and I'd never get anywhere here without a good set of gears! Or chunky tires for the loose rock and sand.

Madhias
BS TORPE

15 Apr 2015, 08:26

Oh wow, Muirium, must be nice where you are at the moment! I love the national parks, the deserts, the coast, everything there in California!

Muirium
µ

15 Apr 2015, 08:45

Yeah, it's damn fine. Here's what I'm riding at the moment, very different from my usual wheels!
IMG_0514.jpg
IMG_0514.jpg (525.22 KiB) Viewed 4450 times
IMG_0515.jpg
IMG_0515.jpg (573.2 KiB) Viewed 4450 times
IMG_0517.jpg
IMG_0517.jpg (500.8 KiB) Viewed 4450 times
Neither bike's mine, of course. Can't quite fit those in luggage. Though I wish I could. That fat Trek is a monster, with 29" wheels, hydraulic suspension and discs! I'm putting it through its paces every day while I can.

Madhias
BS TORPE

15 Apr 2015, 10:43

Nice! There must be so many outdoor possibilities, great.

Here are some details of my daily driver, which I really like. The chaindrive, in size 48T, is perfect for me in the city paired with 1x10 in the back:

These are the wheels I use now for about two years, I would say nice all season tires. I had two flat tires, in the back, always small glass parts.

Recently I added these bare-ends to my cockpit, they are great and very comfortable. Not like classic bare-ends you would not want to add to your bike, but more options for the hands!

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

15 Apr 2015, 11:45

wow I just now saw this thread. Nice bikes guys. I'm a passionate cycler myself. So it's obvious I like american keyboards and american bikes. :mrgreen:
IMG_20140807_193143.jpg
IMG_20140807_193143.jpg (982.38 KiB) Viewed 4423 times
IMG_20140718_174505.jpg
IMG_20140718_174505.jpg (1012.2 KiB) Viewed 4423 times

Madhias
BS TORPE

15 Apr 2015, 12:23

Nice, seebart! Especially because you have the older ones with the American flag on the frame! I also had a Cannondale, but a newer one, made in Taiwan (or China?).

seebart

15 Apr 2015, 12:47

yes that's true Madhias. Cannondale outsourced their production to asia and cannot pride themselfs in "Handmade in the USA" anylonger. The Warrior is from 2002, the F600 from 2003. I ride the Warrior speedbike more. It's simply more practical as a daily driver on the road. The MTB is just fun.

http://www.voanews.com/content/a-13-200 ... 12015.html
Last edited by seebart on 15 Apr 2015, 13:07, edited 1 time in total.

chzel

15 Apr 2015, 12:56

Deskcyclers unite!
My main horse is an On-One 456evoII, and around town a single-speeder Romani frame bodged together from various parts!

seebart

15 Apr 2015, 12:58

chzel wrote: Deskcyclers unite!
I like that! :mrgreen: That should (could) be the name of this thread.

Khers

15 Apr 2015, 13:40

It would seem that deskcycle is an actual product:
:o :o :o

Couple it with a generator and you could take your computer off the grid!

seebart

15 Apr 2015, 13:46

haha very good Khers, that deskcycle product does not suprise me one bit though! It's the same old idea, couple the human's need for movement with the production of electricity. No one ever came up with a really good solution.

Khers

15 Apr 2015, 13:53

The best one I've ever seen though must be this: Image

Don't know whether that one has a generator or not, but the symbolic value of being inside a treadmill in an office landscape is unbeatable :)

seebart

15 Apr 2015, 13:54

that's almost 2001: A Space Odyssey... :shock:

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

15 Apr 2015, 18:14

scottc wrote: I can't ride a bike.

...seriously. It's ridiculous. Maybe I should finally learn.
Pull the pedals off any bike and start scooting around. The goal is to be able to scoot up to speed, then keep your feet off the ground and stay balanced until the bicycle almost stops and you have no choice but to fall over. Once you master that (takes about an hour, maybe less) put the pedals on, and after scooting, just put your feet on the pedals and keep going.

Once you've done that, starting by pedaling is pretty straightforward. Good luck!

Muirium
µ

15 Apr 2015, 18:30

Yup, that's essentially it. That "no choice but to fall over" moment is a good time to put your foot down on the ground, by the way! The art of stopping is well worth learning too, in fact it's mandatory.

The ability to drop a foot down at any moment is what keeps me from cleats. Too much ice at home, and sand and loose gravel here. I'm a powerful rider anyway, the extra brute force available would just invite trouble!

bhtooefr

15 Apr 2015, 18:37

That said, if you get into recumbents, clipless is almost necessary for safety reasons, especially with a tadpole trike. (Tadpole trikes have a cruciform behind the pedals, typically, and if your foot slips off the pedals, you can break your ankle easily.) However, on a trike, you literally never need to put a foot down until you get off, so being able to unclip isn't actually necessary.

webwit
Wild Duck

15 Apr 2015, 19:51

If you aren't racing or terrain cycling, all you need is a standard bike. You don't need clips. You don't need special clothes. You don't need knee pads. You don't need a helmet. That's all just hipster nonsense. :roll:

Just don't do it. You're looking like an overdressed cowboy with your silly bike.

Proper bike usage. Count the helmets and knee pads.

Madhias
BS TORPE

15 Apr 2015, 21:11

Where webwit lives you need a big steel bike, an enormous handlebar, no helmet and a big saddle! It is an own culture there, I was in Denmark, and saw the people riding there. They have all rights, big bicycle lanes, and a totally flat country. So you can easily drive a 25 Kg bike! What I found amazing is that everyone rides at almost every weather!

I never saw so many bicycles in one place :)

Return to “Off-topic”