Swiss Mechanical Keyboard Group and meetup this Sunday!

donvino

13 May 2015, 16:26

I'm reposting this from reddit to get more reach.

In the last couple weeks I've been lurking and posting on reddit as well as emptying my wallet ;) Stalking some people I found out that there's more Swiss enthusiasts than I thought. After trying to have a beer with one of them, the whole idea exploded and it seems like we're a couple more guys now.

For this reason I created a Facebook group, because it's the only thing I know to get most people together. Please join if you're from Switzerland or close enough that you would want to join our events (or if you think we're funny and want to join the discussions)
https://www.facebook.com/groups/4132711 ... 9/?fref=ts

So if anyone wants to join us this weekend to talk about keyboards, maybe try a new one you've never tried before (someone please bring a HHKB!) and just have some fun, join the Facebook group or if you can't, just shoot me a PM so I can update everyone on the location.

donvino

15 May 2015, 16:56

There weren't any answers, but maybe someone wanted to come that wasn't communicative enough to answer ;)

There's a new location!

I am happy and glad to be able to announce that we're not gonna be around beers and sports fan, but a proper Hackerspace. It is provided by the Chaos Computer Club Zurich who, hopefully, will also attend in great numbers.

The location is in Wipkingen, so still within close distance to the train station. All the infos about the location are described here: https://www.ccczh.ch/Hackerspace

jou

15 May 2015, 17:35

Hello, fellow Swiss resident! Unfortunately, taking a trip to Zürich is not something I can do on a whim (I'm in the northeast and have a kid, so my weekends are planned by default :-)). Maybe next time.

I'm not actively using Facebook… Maybe we can find an other platform for this? We can create a Swiss thread here on DT…

kbdfr
The Tiproman

15 May 2015, 17:56

donvino wrote: […] a Facebook group, because it's the only thing I know to get most people together. […]
Not even near Switzerland, but I'd like to object to that.
Unlike a "normal" forum, Facebook is a place where those not registered cannot even read what's going on.
It is a place of exclusion, not of inclusion.

donvino

16 May 2015, 15:17

kbdfr wrote:
donvino wrote: […] a Facebook group, because it's the only thing I know to get most people together. […]
Not even near Switzerland, but I'd like to object to that.
Unlike a "normal" forum, Facebook is a place where those not registered cannot even read what's going on.
This is true and will be adressed on the meetup. The plan so far is to create a mailing-list, so interested people can sign up and get informed about the next meetups. The Facebook group was admittedly not the best idea. It might see some activity in the future or (which I suspect) just die off. I'll update the thread with our experience and next steps.
jou wrote: Hello, fellow Swiss resident! Unfortunately, taking a trip to Zürich is not something I can do on a whim (I'm in the northeast and have a kid, so my weekends are planned by default :-)). Maybe next time.

I'm not actively using Facebook… Maybe we can find an other platform for this? We can create a Swiss thread here on DT…

Hey! It's a shame you can't make it this time, but because on how short notice it was, you're not the only one. Depending on the interest and success tomorrow there might be one in the nearer future and planned ahead.

Muirium
µ

16 May 2015, 17:44

kbdfr wrote: Unlike a "normal" forum, Facebook is a place where those not registered cannot even read what's going on.
I like the anti-Facebook sentiment so common here at DT. I quit it years ago, once it started getting popular enough that people from my past started popping up and the awkward dial began rising.

But that's the thing. FB's the ubiquitous social network so, despite the truth, it's fair for people to talk of it as the easiest, furthest reaching place to promote something. Facebook might as well be the Internet for so many people (billions now, right?) but unlike the web it will reach out and get you. (You lazy, dimwitted, directionless, face stuffing moron. Assumed and sadly often right.)

Network effects are so delightfully vile when they're owned by a private entity with a strong evil streak that really enjoys what they're doing!

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

16 May 2015, 17:53

Network effects are so delightfully vile when they're owned by a private entity with a strong evil streak that really enjoys what they're doing!
Yup, but with FB it's even worse IMO. It's gotten so big that a snowball effect has been going on. Plus there's a real peer pressure amoung younger users to take an ever so active part in sharing you're entire life with whoever and FB makes more $$$ and collects more data...on my personal list of evil FB is right up there. :x

And of course all the human hate that is channeled over that platform unfiltered and unchecked. I read that those "groups" like the islamic state like to use plateforms like FB to get new "members". Great news Marky boy. Make another billion.
Last edited by seebart on 16 May 2015, 17:59, edited 1 time in total.

Muirium
µ

16 May 2015, 17:55

Ever been asked by a potential employer why you don't have a Facebook profile? (Naturally they tried to spy on you.) That's an awkward one!

seebart

16 May 2015, 18:06

Muirium wrote: Ever been asked by a potential employer why you don't have a Facebook profile? (Naturally they tried to spy on you.) That's an awkward one!
I'd answer that question honestly and talk about data privacy issues today.

Muirium
µ

16 May 2015, 18:20

Probably the right answer. They don't like the evil eye, let me tell you!

Khers

16 May 2015, 18:40

But the kids these days aren't even on FB anymore! They find new, more enticing stuff all the time! I have no idea what it is they are using though and while I have an FB account I try to use it as little as possible.

Muirium
µ

16 May 2015, 18:46

I'd love to see Facebook fall into the same black hole as MySpace and Bebo, but I'll believe it when I see it. I knew the world was lost when I rode a train down the length of Britain six years ago or so and the young mothers who sat opposite talked about Facebook while their kids ran around the carriage, then they got off and were replaced by elder women who also then talked about their kids sharing stuff with them on Facebook. They all used it. And once normals use something, we're hosed.

As far as I know, new stuff enters and various groups use it (Reddit!), but Facebook remains. Only one network gets to be the One and Only Network.

seebart

16 May 2015, 19:03

FB still might loose users to other platform's in the future but they won't die. The right idea at the right time. And then don't mess it up which Mark and his people almost did once or twice. At least I was hoping for for that.

DanielT
Un petit village gaulois d'Armorique…

18 May 2015, 09:22

Muirium wrote: Ever been asked by a potential employer why you don't have a Facebook profile? (Naturally they tried to spy on you.) That's an awkward one!
I had a manager in another team at my workplace who told me that he would never hire a candidate if he doesn't have a FB account, in his opinion that person is hiding something :? He was a total moron and incompetent but still he was in charge of hiring people in his team....
I don't have a FB account and don't give a flying fuck for this "social network" thing. I have a Linkedin account because, well you need that shit if you want to find a better job and I find it really annoying, all kind of people want to connect to you is just bull....

wlhlm
~

18 May 2015, 10:33

Was posted on Reddit:

Nice collection you brought together! Hope it was fun - the meetup was held in the rooms of the CCCZH, so at least there was enough Club Mate to consume I guess ;)

DanielT
Un petit village gaulois d'Armorique…

18 May 2015, 11:39

Very nice, I like the board with the Galaxy Class set, it has also the rare ISO kit :) Nice ! :)

Return to “Off-topic”