Waterpark in German Blimp Hanger

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

06 Aug 2015, 12:59

Hey Deskthoritarians! I'm wondering if any of you Germans or Europeans have ever visited the Tropical Islands Resort outside of Berlin. Seems like a fun place. I have a thing for water parks. Perhaps if I ever visit Europe, I might go here.

https://www.tropical-islands.de/en/tropical-world/
Last edited by vivalarevolución on 06 Aug 2015, 13:43, edited 1 time in total.

sth
2 girls 1 cuprubber

06 Aug 2015, 13:14

i've seen this place, thought about going. looks crazy!!! although i'm not sure how i feel about this fake nature stuff... if you're in europe it's not that expensive to just fly to malta or something.

andrewjoy

06 Aug 2015, 13:15

a video of it, not me i am wayyyy fatter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Sz55gmNUaI

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

06 Aug 2015, 13:49

I know someone here who visited and they liked it. I have not personally been there.

Muirium
µ

06 Aug 2015, 13:56

Blimp!? It's pronounced Zeppelin!
Spoiler:

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

06 Aug 2015, 14:11

The next Europe based keyboard gathering should take place here. Can anybody figure if there are cabana rentals? The site is hard to navigate on mobile.

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

06 Aug 2015, 14:17

vivalarevolución wrote: The next Europe based keyboard gathering should take place here. Can anybody figure if there are cabana rentals? The site is hard to navigate on mobile.
I think that might be a little unpractical. Could be fun though.

wlhlm
~

06 Aug 2015, 16:52

Been there a couple of years ago. Food was pretty expensive, we managed to smuggle in a lot of our own stuff and saved quite a bit.

A lot of people there. I recommend going off season.

kbdfr
The Tiproman

06 Aug 2015, 17:25

Rather boring there.

Except...

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

06 Aug 2015, 18:07

seebart wrote:
vivalarevolución wrote: The next Europe based keyboard gathering should take place here. Can anybody figure if there are cabana rentals? The site is hard to navigate on mobile.
I think that might be a little unpractical. Could be fun though.
Just kidding.

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

06 Aug 2015, 18:08

wlhlm wrote: Been there a couple of years ago. Food was pretty expensive, we managed to smuggle in a lot of our own stuff and saved quite a bit.

What's off season for an indoor waterpark?

andrewjoy

06 Aug 2015, 18:31

When its sunny outside

wlhlm
~

06 Aug 2015, 18:41

vivalarevolución wrote:
wlhlm wrote: Been there a couple of years ago. Food was pretty expensive, we managed to smuggle in a lot of our own stuff and saved quite a bit.

I meant outside of school holidays in Germany.

Madhias
BS TORPE

06 Aug 2015, 22:06

wlhlm wrote:
vivalarevolución wrote:

I meant outside of school holidays in Germany.
And no weekend!

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

06 Aug 2015, 22:31

andrewjoy wrote: a video of it, not me i am wayyyy fatter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Sz55gmNUaI
Watched that video. I thought the blimp hanger was World War II era, but I guess that I'm wrong. Just the airfield is World War II era.

Anyways, I'm a bit of an adult child, so I'm even more intrigued now. Going for an indoor hot air balloon sounds fun.

Muirium
µ

07 Aug 2015, 00:43

Pretty much all of Germany was completely flattened by 1945. Certainly anything the size of a Zeppelin hangar. Picture the devastation of 911, now imagine ground zero was a country. That's total war.

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

07 Aug 2015, 05:00

Makes me think of The Truman Show.

kbdfr
The Tiproman

07 Aug 2015, 09:04

Muirium wrote: Pretty much all of Germany was completely flattened by 1945. Certainly anything the size of a Zeppelin hangar. Picture the devastation of 911, now imagine ground zero was a country. That's total war.
This is quite exaggerated:
http://www.gutefrage.net/frage/unverseh ... -weltkrieg

Muirium
µ

07 Aug 2015, 11:54

Not that much…
Spoiler:
Factories and military installations were systematically destroyed by several years of heavy bombing, day and night. And once those were obliterated, the allies turned to the cities. There are of course ancient castles and the like which still stand in Germany, but the Americans and British wanted Berlin off the map.

If the Manhattan Project hadn't ran late compared to Stalin's troops, we would say names like Nuremberg and Munich instead of Hiroshima and Nagasaki. The bomb was meant for Germany.

kbdfr
The Tiproman

07 Aug 2015, 15:42

The photo you post in the spoiler does not show a German city, but Tokyo (I would have thought Hiroshima or Nagasaki):
Spoiler:
Source: http://www.gettyimages.de/detail/nachri ... /141556154

Muirium
µ

07 Aug 2015, 16:07

Bugger. That's what I get for Googling! I'm sure I've seen documentary footage of the Red Army rolling around through a complete wasteland of Berlin though.

And we were going to anihilate you guys. (Well, our ancestors!) The Americans had something like 100 Nagasaki type (Fat Man) bombs in production at the end of the war. The resources they threw into that project were not just for show.

kbdfr
The Tiproman

07 Aug 2015, 16:25

Of course I wouldn't say most German towns were anything near intact at the end of the war.
Spoiler:
Berlin:

Dresden:

Frankfurt:

and so on…
But I think we went quite off topic :lol:

Muirium
µ

07 Aug 2015, 16:32

Come on, we're keyboard nerds. Just the kind of guys who'd go to an amusement park for a symposium on historic warfare! So long as there's keyboards sooner or later…

No splashing!

Findecanor

07 Aug 2015, 19:24

It is a bit south-southwest from the city centre, almost a third of the way to Dresden. Unfortunately there does not seem to be any direct trains from Dresden to Brand.

I had planned on stopping over in Berlin on the 21st of September on my way from Prague back north to Sweden.
I might just choose to spend the night in the Zeppelin hangar instead of at a cheap hotel near the train station in Berlin.
With me being ridiculously afraid of flying, this might be the closest thing I'll ever get to a tropical vacation .... :oops:
vivalarevolución wrote: The site is hard to navigate on mobile.
Huh? I get a mobile site when I visit it from a desktop. :roll:
kbdfr wrote: The photo you post in the spoiler does not show a German city, but Tokyo (I would have thought Hiroshima or Nagasaki):
That explains the lack of rubble. Tokyo was fire-bombed, and most houses were made of wood and the fires were fierce.

The 70th anniversary of the nuking of Hiroshima was yesterday, and I saw a couple of TV documentaries. Hiroshima looked pretty much the same, yes.

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

07 Aug 2015, 22:46

Why can't we all just get along? Why must we bomb each other? Sigh. I want my mommy.

Return to “Off-topic”