The elimination of passwords?

Madhias
BS TORPE

16 Oct 2015, 13:22

XMIT wrote:
chzel wrote: Password manager apps are nice and all, but what happens when you need to log in from a different PC?
That's why I like KeePass. I use it on Windows, Mac, Linux, and Android. I move the encrypted password file around and decrypt as needed with a passphrase.
I am also a KeePass user, now since a few years. I have the file online, and can access to it on all devices.

Halvar

16 Oct 2015, 13:31

Yes, that's what I'm doing, too. Keepass Password file sync'ed online, key file copied per hand on all my devices.

Julle

17 Oct 2015, 15:05

My bank replaced (or is offering this on the side) the clumsy paper pass code chart with an authentication app for smartphones a couple of months ago. While I appreciate the convenience and the ease of use, there are some concerns:
  • They don't support rooted/jailbroken phones as they think of this as a threat to your account's security - who knows why.
  • If 3rd parties have the extensive access to a smartphone as Edward Snowden claims, then the traditional paper chart is far more secure. The app does use a keyboard coded into the app itself (not the OS keyboard or whatever 3rd party keyboard app you might be using), so I don't know if it's susceptible to keylogging.

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

17 Oct 2015, 15:50

Julle wrote: ...then the traditional paper chart is far more secure. The app does use a keyboard coded into the app itself (not the OS keyboard or whatever 3rd party keyboard app you might be using), so I don't know if it's susceptible to keylogging.[/list]
Exactly, while online banking can be very comfortable I am still quite skeptical. One solution is an extra account just for online banking.

Muirium
µ

17 Oct 2015, 16:25

Real authorities seize you off the street, and beat you up in a cell for your authentication. Just bear that in mind.

seebart

17 Oct 2015, 16:36

Muirium wrote: Real authorities seize you off the street, and beat you up in a cell for your authentication. Just bear that in mind.
Sure, but genereally not for no reason. At least not in our parts.

Muirium
µ

17 Oct 2015, 16:42

Come on. Dial up the paranoia a bit, man!

mr_a500

17 Oct 2015, 16:42

seebart wrote:
Muirium wrote: Real authorities seize you off the street, and beat you up in a cell for your authentication. Just bear that in mind.
Sure, but genereally not for no reason. At least not in our parts.
He means in Scotland. Over there, they like to do that sort of thing. Scots will grab you and beat you up for no reason at all. They're a surly bunch.

seebart

17 Oct 2015, 16:54

Muirium wrote: Come on. Dial up the paranoia a bit, man!
My paranoia is on normal levels. I'm not getting beat up either! ;)

Muirium
µ

17 Oct 2015, 18:25

True enough, the chances of a good random beating in Scotland are higher than in nations full of cowardly girly men like yours. But that doesn't mean you're not getting it for a reason. There's a reason all right. But you're not getting told.

As for the authorities doing it, well, this is still legally Tony Blair's dystopic hellhole, like England proper. You can be "detained" for 90 days without legal counsel or anyone being told, just because the government reckons you did 9/11. War on terror, boys. You're either with us, or in a sack somewhere on the seabed.

seebart

17 Oct 2015, 18:39

Considering your bicycle stunts, we all know what a tough guy you are Mu! But seriously, regarding the war on terror I just read the leaked docs on the drone program and after reading that I felt physically sick. I'm a "normal" guy who has lived in the US and liked it. I'm not gonna say anymore now. But I'll say this, my attitude has not changed, the people of a country do not represent the government of that country.
Last edited by seebart on 17 Oct 2015, 18:43, edited 1 time in total.

Muirium
µ

17 Oct 2015, 18:43

Makes you wonder why North Korea, Iran, ISIS etc. don't have their own drone forces. If we're permitted by international law to bomb weddings and then the subsequent funerals, they are too.

seebart

17 Oct 2015, 18:45

Right. A young man testified in Germany this week. His job was to steer those drones. Disturbing shit.

Stabilized

17 Oct 2015, 18:58

I listen to the TWiT podcast security now every now and then. The host Steve Gibson keeps mentioning his new protocol that, apparently, dismisses the need for passwords: https://www.grc.com/sqrl/sqrl.htm
It's called sqrl (pronounced squirrel) and it sounds promising, but I think it might be something that promises more now then it will deliver when it actually comes out.

Just on the topic of password managers, I just pay to use Lastpass, the ease of use is a big plus, as I used to be on Keychain, which was a bit of a faff when I got a smartphone.

courtesi

16 Nov 2015, 22:09

Is there anyway to permanently delete/disable a Yahoo email account? I've moved to Gmail but still log into a Yahoo account once in a while.

It's my understanding that sure, you can delete the account but after X amount of time it gets reused. Which means someone may be able to access new emails that may show up.

Return to “Off-topic”