Deskthority meetups?

scottc

07 Jan 2016, 23:32

I've seen some pictures of meetups from the earlier days of DT. They all look like a lot of fun and I'd love to show off some of my rarer or weirder keyboards or projects that I've been working on. I know there was a join meetup done in France last year which looked great.

With that said, since we're fairly well distributed around Europe and elsewhere, it might be challenging to arrange something in person. I travel quite frequently to London to work, and we've definitely got a lot of forum members from around the UK so perhaps that would be a good starting point. We've also got many, many members spread around Germany.

Maybe some of the techiest of us could spend time on a mini hackathon where we eg. port our PhpBB hacks over to a new version, or work on an open-source community project like keypuller/KLE/ARM support for TMK/etc using the most obnoxiously loud keyboards (with solenoids) that we can find?

So, what do you think? Would anyone be up for prospective meetups in the future?
Last edited by scottc on 07 Jan 2016, 23:36, edited 1 time in total.

photekq
Cherry Picker

07 Jan 2016, 23:36

I'd be up for a meeting somewhere in the UK so long as :
  • It's during a school holiday
  • I can get my driving licence before it :lol:

lolpes

07 Jan 2016, 23:40

Well I really hope to get hired in the UK now :D

scottc

07 Jan 2016, 23:44

Ryanair is cheap ;)

photekq
Cherry Picker

07 Jan 2016, 23:45

scottc wrote: Ryanair is cheap ;)
He can't bring all his keyboards on Ryanair though..

That's why I'd want to have my driving licence. I wouldn't want to be lugging my whole collection down on the train, and it'd be pretty lame if I only brought one or two boards!

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

07 Jan 2016, 23:53

If any of you try to take half your collection on Ryanair the plane will not be able to take off due to overload. :lol:

scottc

08 Jan 2016, 00:08

I have brought many, many keyboards on Ryanair flights before! It's honestly sometimes cheaper to pay for checked luggage from London to wherever I want to go than pay Parcelforce to take it for me... as I type it, I kind of wish that it was a joke. :lol:

Better not take too many nice boards with you photekq, lest some of the nicer ones go into my suitcasemissing... :roll:

photekq
Cherry Picker

08 Jan 2016, 00:12

scottc wrote: Better not take too many nice boards with you photekq, lest some of the nicer ones go into my suitcasemissing... :roll:
I'll be bringing some screwdrivers to show off the innards of the keyboards. I can also use them to defend my keyboards from you robbers :mrgreen:

ramnes
ПБТ НАВСЕГДА

19 Jan 2016, 13:36

I'm in for a meetup in the UK as long as it's during a week-end and that it's in a city that has a RyanAir airport. :)

HzFaq

19 Jan 2016, 13:38

I can do a London meetup, weekends are best but with some notice I might be able to swing a school night...

scottc

19 Jan 2016, 14:11

Looks like London is go!

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

19 Jan 2016, 17:22

I'm up for a London meet-up if Ryanair starts flying direct to and from Indianapolis.

scottc

19 Jan 2016, 17:26

Chyros

23 Jan 2016, 17:58

Hadn't seen this before, I might be able to make London sometime :) . I've got fairly horrible working times though xD .

scottc

23 Jan 2016, 18:02

Nice! It's definitely looking like this could work out. I won't be in London permanently until later this year, alas, but I'm still there a good chunk of the time.

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

23 Jan 2016, 18:31

vivalarevolución wrote: I'm up for a London meet-up if Ryanair starts flying direct to and from Indianapolis.
Hahaha me too

sth
2 girls 1 cuprubber

25 Jan 2016, 11:50

let's just make webwit host us. then i need only take a train :)

PollandAkuma

13 Oct 2016, 16:11

Hey guys, a few mech enthusiasts have started orgainising it. It will probably happen early next year in London. :D

Right now we are still looking for a place to hold it, and still not quite sure how many people are coming yet. What is confirmed is that PEXON cables, UKKeycaps/MechSupply, and MechBoardsUK will all have a presence at this meetup, which is pretty awesome.

Our methods of communication will mainly come out of this facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1028791307238170/

But for redditors, there is a self-created sub /r/MechanicalKeyboardsUK

And if you really hate using both social media, you could join my self-created Slack channel: https://mechanicalkeyboardsuk.slack.com/ though I can't guarantee that the channel will be as often updated as the facebook page or the subreddit.

I will post any further updates on this threads, so do keep an eye out :)

ohaimark
Kingpin

13 Oct 2016, 16:51

I realize that I'm in a small crowd... But is there any interest in a Northeast/Midwest US meetup? Or is that rmk/GH territory? :P

Chyros

13 Oct 2016, 17:21

PollandAkuma wrote: Hey guys, a few mech enthusiasts have started orgainising it. It will probably happen early next year in London. :D

Right now we are still looking for a place to hold it, and still not quite sure how many people are coming yet. What is confirmed is that PEXON cables, UKKeycaps/MechSupply, and MechBoardsUK will all have a presence at this meetup, which is pretty awesome.

Our methods of communication will mainly come out of this facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1028791307238170/

And if you really hate using both social media, you could join my self-created Slack channel: https://mechanicalkeyboardsuk.slack.com/ though I can't guarantee that the channel will be as often updated as the facebook page or the subreddit.

I'd like tagging along for a UK meetup, but I might not even be in the country anymore after the New Year Oo .

PollandAkuma

13 Oct 2016, 18:45

Chyros wrote:
PollandAkuma wrote: Hey guys, a few mech enthusiasts have started orgainising it. It will probably happen early next year in London. :D

I'd like tagging along for a UK meetup, but I might not even be in the country anymore after the New Year Oo .
D: But we need you... when are you coming back? Are you moving overseas?!

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

13 Oct 2016, 19:00

ohaimark wrote: I realize that I'm in a small crowd... But is there any interest in a Northeast/Midwest US meetup? Or is that rmk/GH territory? :P
I thought some GH folks organized something in Chicago from time to time.

Chyros

13 Oct 2016, 19:06

PollandAkuma wrote:
Chyros wrote:

D: But we need you... when are you coming back? Are you moving overseas?!
I'll probably be moving back home, unless I get some job in the UK I can't say no to. At the moment the projection is to move back around the end of the year if possible.

alh84001
v.001

13 Oct 2016, 20:41

How large is the van gonna be that holds all those boards? :)

Chyros

13 Oct 2016, 22:37

alh84001 wrote: How large is the van gonna be that holds all those boards? :)
Considering it's well over 100 keyboards by now, it's going to have to be a truck I think xD .

ohaimark
Kingpin

13 Oct 2016, 23:45

Me: I don't have much stuff guys! You could fit everything I own in a sedan.

Them: What about all the keyboards?

Me: Uhhh.... Let me reconsider that last statement.

PollandAkuma

03 Nov 2016, 00:50

Hey guys, an update! We seem to have found several possible venues so we have backups in case the one we want is too busy. The main venue for now is going to be St. Lukes Community Centre. This is not a private meetup, just to let you know. We are currently holding a poll on our facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/groups/1028791307238170/), where we are deciding between either Sunday the 4th or Saturday the 3rd of December. If you have any suggestions or questions, please feel free to PM me! I'm a mod over at the Facebook page too, so I can add you if you join. We are a friendly bunch, we don't bit :p

Wodan
ISO Advocate

03 Nov 2016, 08:28

Can we flag this as "Deskthority UK Meetup" and remove the ? from the title?

This would probably help attract attention of the right people.

HzFaq

03 Nov 2016, 08:45

Still super interested if London goes ahead. Just joined the facebook group although to be honest I'm more likely to see updates if they're posted here.

Chyros

03 Nov 2016, 10:37

I think I should probably be able to attend this, would be cool to show some people some of my keyboards :) .

Return to “Off-topic”