I made an open-source program that lets you test your WPM everywhere

burn1nsun

15 Jan 2017, 18:54

http://www.wpmdesktop.com/

I've finally finished up my first website and program to be launched to the public.

Basically its a program that calculates your WPM from anywhere with the freedom of being able to type whatever you want. Meaning that you can test out your "actual" WPM, instead of the one you get from having to read and write fixed paragraphs of text on the common sites.

You can count your your WPM during a time period, or until you hit a certain word amount.

Other features include being able to see your WPM live from the Traymenu, and automatically pausing/continuing during idle times so your WPM wouldn't be ruined when you need to stop think for a while.

I'd really love some feedback and suggestions or whatever you think about it!

I really hope you guys enjoy using this as much as I enjoyed making it.

If you guys want to ask me anything about developing or whatever feel free!

Menuhin

15 Jan 2017, 19:11

It is great to have fellow keyboard enthusiasts provide freeware to test our true WPM! Thank you! :D

What have immediately comes to my mind is, the license type of this piece of software, and how you may tackle the problem of figuring out typing errors when calculating WPM in a context (i.e. inside another app) you have no control.

burn1nsun

15 Jan 2017, 19:17

That's sadly one of the limitations of that program, its hard to detect what the user is actually trying to type and checking if its all written without errors, I feel like its better to let the user to be responsible for that themselves, instead of having them to deal with inconsistent error checking :(

Menuhin

15 Jan 2017, 19:22

Just a suggestion: with the number of keystrokes on delete and backspace keys (with an assumption that the user doesn't use the mouse or shift key to select more than 1 character at a time), it might be possible to come up with a rough error-adjusted WPM number.

burn1nsun

15 Jan 2017, 19:40

Do you mean like so that backspace keys lowers you WPM because it deletes the previous words? That's how it works right now, CTRL + Backspace also works.

Menuhin

15 Jan 2017, 20:24

Great, will check it out! :)

ideus

16 Jan 2017, 03:57

My OS reports that the signature of the program is invalid, or not updated. Is there a workaround?

burn1nsun

17 Jan 2017, 14:22

I'm not sure exactly what that implies, what OS do you have? Does it happen whilst installing?

chuckdee

17 Jan 2017, 14:48

ideus wrote: My OS reports that the signature of the program is invalid, or not updated. Is there a workaround?
Is it the browser reporting, or the OS? What browser are you using?

If IE, go to the download manager, find the file in the download list.

Right click that file. Click "run it anyway".

ideus

17 Jan 2017, 23:20

chuckdee wrote:
ideus wrote: My OS reports that the signature of the program is invalid, or not updated. Is there a workaround?

Is win 10 reporting. I have downloaded the file and it is already in my SSD. When I attempted to install the file the error showed up.

need

17 Jan 2017, 23:55

I want this on my mac :x

burn1nsun

18 Jan 2017, 00:22

ideus wrote:
chuckdee wrote:

Is win 10 reporting. I have downloaded the file and it is already in my SSD. When I attempted to install the file the error showed up.
What browser did you download it through? Maybe that affects it somehow, seems to be common with IE.
need wrote: I want this on my mac :x
Sadly I had only access for windows platforms at the time, especially because it uses low level OS level methods :(

chuckdee

18 Jan 2017, 00:25

ideus wrote:
chuckdee wrote:

Those steps above might help- did you check them out?

burn1nsun

23 Jan 2017, 18:27

I updated the installer, apparently the last time I updated it it didn't go through properly.

Now you should be able to set the idlepause to 0.5 seconds and the word count label in the main window should be correct, also the program should be searchable in the start menu.

Return to “Off-topic”