Who cycles?

Trent

29 Jul 2012, 03:22

fossala wrote:Sorry the bike can't weight 5lb, carbon bikes weigh around 15lb.
It feels like nothing. Can't be more than 20lbs then.

kint

29 Jul 2012, 12:00

Would probably be too tight too, but weight numbers do mean nothing anyway. Important is that it feels light to the one riding it. I like it, it's a nice old rat. :)

fossala
Elite +1

29 Jul 2012, 12:06

I'm riding a Lightweight steel bike, comes in at 9.4kg (around 20lbs). That is quite lightweight for a steel bike (RRP is included upgraded parts is around 1,350gbp). So if your old bike comes in at 15lb you are doing very well.

EDIT: Mine has carbon forks that reduces a lot of weight because Steel forks are very heavy.

kint

29 Jul 2012, 12:15

fossala wrote: So if your old bike comes in at 15lb you are doing very well.
This exactly is true. Trent does save a lot of weight by abandoning the useless gearish stuff though. :evilgeek:
carbon vs classic steel fork does save ~300g depending on the make. :)

bpiphany

29 Jul 2012, 12:26

http://www.cycleexif.com/worlds-lightest-bike

There is a picture somewhere also of someone's daughter ~4 years old holding his bike with her arm straight forward. That looks a bit funny, but I can't find it right now.

kint

29 Jul 2012, 12:47

This study weighs in at 3,7kg:
http://www.canyon.com/_en/technology/project37.html
It was made in 2004 and was co-worked with Christian Smolik who had a very well regarded name amongst german cyclists. Sadly he passed away in 2010 as he was a true inventor and strived for making bicycles better.
His website is a very good technical guide, unfortunately only available in german:
http://www.smolik-velotech.de/technik/
You could probably say that he was the german Sheldon Brown, or Sheldon was the american Smolik, whatever, sadly Mr Brown has passed away too early too. http://www.sheldonbrown.com/

fossala
Elite +1

29 Jul 2012, 12:48

By the way, my titanium brooks is breaking in nicely.

Trent

03 Aug 2012, 11:28

kint wrote:
fossala wrote: So if your old bike comes in at 15lb you are doing very well.
This exactly is true. Trent does save a lot of weight by abandoning the useless gearish stuff though. :evilgeek:
carbon vs classic steel fork does save ~300g depending on the make. :)
:)

Simplicity is king! I used to own a mountain bike that was heavy and had massive gears on it, the thing weighted a ton, I hated carrying it around (especially as a kid). So when someone stole it and I got the insurance money I was thrilled to be able to buy something much cheaper and much lighter. Since I live in a congested city it certainly fits in well with the rest of the bikes on the busy road. I was considering removing the front wheel brake to lower the weight even more but it wouldn't reduce the weight by more than a few ounces.

kint

03 Aug 2012, 14:31

Trent wrote:...I was considering removing the front wheel brake to lower the weight even more but it wouldn't reduce the weight by more than a few ounces.
Stupid idea if you ask me.
1. Fixies do have a brake function by skidding the rear wheel, hence still two "brakes" on the bike.
2. The front brake is actually the one with the better braking power on a bike.
3. You can easily shave tons of weight on a bike by spending some bucks...
4. Removing the front brake on a freewheel bike because of weight reason is just calling for the Darwin Award imo, no offense. ;)

longweight
key-bored

03 Aug 2012, 14:32

+1

Trent

03 Aug 2012, 21:16

1. It isn't a fixie it is a single gear. If I cycle backwards it acts like a normal bike.
2. True
3. True
4. True, someone once told me I should consider doing it and I never took it seriously.

bhtooefr

08 Sep 2012, 04:34

I went to the bike shop and got one that has all its parts in weird places, and has extra parts.

41 pounds stock, probably pushing 50 with all accessories installed, and the boom is flexy flexy flexy.

I occasionally commute on it, but I end up waking up too late and needing the 15 minutes that I get free from driving instead.

Trent

08 Sep 2012, 05:22

What in the...

fossala
Elite +1

08 Sep 2012, 08:30

Why the hell does it weigh 41 pounds?

bhtooefr

08 Sep 2012, 12:58

Because it's low-end, and they didn't bother to optimize weight much. As a bike, this'd probably be over 25 pounds easily.

HaaTa
Master Kiibohd Hunter

09 Sep 2012, 07:41

I bike a lot. Did half of Japan a couple years ago. Sadly school tends to cut into my serious biking time.

Taken around Kamikawa (on my way to Himeji, which is sorta close to Kobe). This particular trip was about 1200 km long. Gonna do the other half sometime next year.

I've since put a bunch of money into the bike due to repairs and such; new/better rear rim, new cranks/bottom bracket, clipped pedals, etc.

fossala
Elite +1

09 Sep 2012, 08:31

I can't ride without clipless pedals anymore.
Next year in May, I'm doing Lands end to John 'O Groats for charity in 7 days (nearly 900 miles). I will be asking for sponsors here next year (Jan), I hope to be doing it for FSF and Open Rights group (50/50) but I'm talking to them atm. Hope you guys dig deep and make it worth while.

mattrm

17 Oct 2012, 22:05

Been mountain biking for years. I've got a Orange Clockwork (2007 reissue) hardtail. Since starting climbing a few years I've stopped riding so much, but there's some great stuff locally and I get out about once a month these days. Especially on weekends when it's too wet to climb.

fossala
Elite +1

12 Jan 2013, 20:08

As some of you know I got knocked of my bike ;(. Upside is, I'm back at work in 2 weeks now and I have just went a picked up my new bike. It's more touring than my last one, I'm using it for lands end to john 'o groats and daily commuting. I'm going to buy a carbon fiber one for racing this summer.
For the bike techs around here, it's steel framed carbon forks like my last one. 105 groupset with ultregra rear mech. bb7 road disc brakes to help when I'm loaded up. It's a bit on the heavy side, I think around 10.5kg with guards and pedals.

dirge

12 Jan 2013, 20:36

Stunning. I put an ultegra rear mech on an orange patriot :)

I need to use at least one of my bikes..... fat middle age men on bikes look fuckin stupid tho :p

fossala
Elite +1

12 Jan 2013, 20:54

dirge wrote:Stunning. I put an ultegra rear mech on an orange patriot :)

I need to use at least one of my bikes..... fat middle age men on bikes look fuckin stupid tho :p
As in mountain bike, working fine? Don't worry what you look like, I wear Lycra bib-shorts when I cycle.http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=bib+sh ... 15&bih=914

dirge

12 Jan 2013, 21:25

Yeah was really good actually surprising! only ever used once at glentress after that I passed the bike on to a mate. Strange that a road groupset would fit so well! smooth as butter really!

have an orange crush and giant yukon fx3 very clean lol...

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

12 Jan 2013, 22:06

Another cycler here. I just have an old Raleigh Technium, which I heard was one of the first aluminum frame bikes on the market. Nothing too fancy, but it gets me to work each day. I used to ride 16 miles round trip each day, but I moved closer and my commute is now 3 mile each way and only 15-20 minutes on a bike. Probably actually faster for me and definitely easier to ride each day rather than drive.

Anybody ride to work in a big city? Sometimes I feel like every driver on the road wants to kill me. Not a bike friendly town.

fossala
Elite +1

12 Jan 2013, 22:16

I live in the country, I commute 21/22miles a day. All very hilly as well.

LaCap

24 Jul 2013, 16:09

Hey guys!

This summer I decided to go to work by bike.
But I need a bag pack because I'm cycling with sports clothing and I'm bringing normal clothes in a bag.
Someone know a good bag for cycling? With enough space to take a laptop and some clothes?

CeeSA

24 Jul 2013, 16:17

I use a "Ortlieb Back-Roller Classic" and I could recommend it. Laptop and clothes are no problem for this size.

LaCap

24 Jul 2013, 17:11

Thanks CeeSA for the answer.
I'm searching more a messenger bag. But Ortlieb have a descent one :)

luckynet

25 Jul 2013, 21:22

I have a chrome messenger bag, very heavy, feels solid, never let me down before. Tho kina pricey

Halvar

25 Jul 2013, 22:48

bhtooefr wrote:I went to the bike shop and got one that has all its parts in weird places, and has extra parts.

41 pounds stock, probably pushing 50 with all accessories installed, and the boom is flexy flexy flexy.

I occasionally commute on it, but I end up waking up too late and needing the 15 minutes that I get free from driving instead.
You see these from time to time in Germany, and I rode one once, but they are dangerous as hell on city streets because car drivers tend to overlook them. The bike with a person on it isn't higher than a very small car, and nobody's used to bike riders of that low height in daily traffic.

That's why they have that little flag to compensate, but that one's easily overlooked, too.

Actually, the one I rode had only two wheels instead of three and looked something like this:

http://www.trimobile.de/wp/liegezweirad ... edmachine/

sth
2 girls 1 cuprubber

26 Jul 2013, 01:13

CeeSA wrote:I use a "Ortlieb Back-Roller Classic" and I could recommend it. Laptop and clothes are no problem for this size.
i can personally recommend Mission Workshop bags- i have one of their backpacks and it feels great and holds plenty :) they have lots of sizes. a bit on the spendy side but lifetime warranty and awesome build quality too :)

Return to “Off-topic”