Top Gun Coolmadness Whoopi Goldberg As Guinan's Eyebrows

sth
2 girls 1 cuprubber

31 May 2014, 11:11

new blog post: i read a book

you guys! i just finished zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance. that shit is wild. i'm gonna read it again pretty soon. too wild. check it out! it's a quick read and you'd be a dummy to pass it up! i liked it.

Muirium
µ

31 May 2014, 12:05

Yep.

adhoc

31 May 2014, 13:00

Hello!

I am this and what is 12? :duck:

Halvar

31 May 2014, 16:24

Yup. Yeah, man, yeah. Wild. Read it back in the 90s. Just wild. Nuff said.

sth
2 girls 1 cuprubber

02 Jun 2014, 06:51

new blog post: commercials with good messages for the childrin
this weekend i bought some vitamin tablets and i ate one and it turns out they're effervescent tablets. mouth party 8-) 8-) 8-)
the last time i remember watching kids tv with commercials like this was in the early 90s. "recycle reduce reuse to close the loop!"
the last time i remember watching kids tv with commercials with tiny hippos was never.

any other funny commercials you remember from your youth?

sth
2 girls 1 cuprubber

02 Jun 2014, 16:56

new blog post: frickin ireland

so i'm going there next month, what the heck should i do? what should i see? where are the good makeout spots? 8-)

also does anyone on DT own a shiba inu? can i come over and hang out with your dog?

sth
2 girls 1 cuprubber

07 Jun 2014, 13:07

new blog post: i read a book

i just finished flowers for algernon. sad.

scottc

07 Jun 2014, 13:12

sth wrote:new blog post: frickin ireland

so i'm going there next month, what the heck should i do? what should i see? where are the good makeout spots? 8-)

also does anyone on DT own a shiba inu? can i come over and hang out with your dog?
Guinness brewery is actually pretty cool, believe it or not.

ne0phyte
Toast.

07 Jun 2014, 13:32

Here is some stuff I visited when I did an internship abroad in Dublin.

Dublin:
http://www.heritageireland.ie/en/dublin/kilmainhamgaol/ (Old prison)
http://www.guinness-storehouse.com/de/Index.aspx
http://www.igb.ie/shelbourne-park (dog racing)

Belfast:
http://www.titanicbelfast.com/
^ GET A TICKET FOR THAT ONLINE. I went there by train, wasting ~40 euro, just to be told that the tickets for that day were sold out.
http://www.titanicsdock.com/gallery/ (The dry dock where the Titanic was built)

scottc

07 Jun 2014, 13:36

well this is embarrassing, I've only been to the storehouse of all of those places and I live there :P

edit: and Kilmainham too, that's a cool spot

Muirium
µ

07 Jun 2014, 14:30

People tend to be pretty inexperienced with their local tourist spots. We like to go further afield on holiday, after all! And I've had more than enough bagpipes and broadswords from growing up in Edinburgh!

sth
2 girls 1 cuprubber

07 Jun 2014, 23:51

new blog post: kanye

you guys, i think kanye west is pretty awesome. not because i like his music or anything in particular that he does, but god dang if he isn't sure about it. i respect that a lot more than whatever the heck most people are doing.

"I AM WARHOL! I AM THE NUMBER ONE MOST IMPACTFUL ARTIST OF OUR GENERATION. I AM SHAKESPEARE IN THE FLESH. WALT DISNEY, NIKE, GOOGLE."

"MY GREATEST PAIN IN LIFE IS THAT I WILL NEVER BE ABLE TO SEE MYSELF PERFORM LIVE."

"YOU CAN'T LOOK AT A GLASS HALF FULL OR EMPTY IF IT'S OVERFLOWING."
what is in that glass kanye WHAT IS IN IT

if you don't like kanye i don't want to hear it 8-)

Daniel Beardsmore

08 Jun 2014, 00:00

It's nice to see that Eliza has been extended with blogging capabilities, but AI still has a long way to go yet.

webwit
Wild Duck

08 Jun 2014, 00:25

You say that, while you are alone, the rest of the forum is generated by 7bots. The community is a figment of your imagination.

ne0phyte
Toast.

08 Jun 2014, 00:32

So let's post something stupid that Eliza/bots could only have learned from humans to prove that human beings are posting here:

(Banana * 55) / post-it = wood-soup
Free cables and batteries won't make up for your death.
Sometimes the robot pretends to be a squirrel, disguises as Internet Explorer, and asks all the cardboard boxes to lend it some air.

webwit
Wild Duck

08 Jun 2014, 00:36

This reminds me how Blaine the Mono was killed. *fears for the dt server catching fire*

Daniel Beardsmore

08 Jun 2014, 00:38

webwit wrote:The community is a figment of your imagination.
Even the depths and depravities of my imagination has its limits.

webwit
Wild Duck

08 Jun 2014, 00:46

It's all a setup to pacify you as a keyboard wiki contributor.

Daniel Beardsmore

08 Jun 2014, 00:51

Considering that it has the opposite effect on me …

sth
2 girls 1 cuprubber

08 Jun 2014, 22:49

Daniel Beardsmore wrote:It's nice to see that Eliza has been extended with blogging capabilities, but AI still has a long way to go yet.

Daniel Beardsmore

08 Jun 2014, 22:55

True, but at least my jaw is a reasonable shape.

Muirium
µ

08 Jun 2014, 23:52

If I had to pick a single thing to hate about Comic Sans, it'd actually be the kerning. Argh! Or rather A rgh!

Daniel Beardsmore

09 Jun 2014, 00:05

I just ran a quick test in Word 2010. Times New Roman and Comic Sans both lack kerning, as do a lot of other fonts. That's actually rather disturbing. Photoshop 7 seems to be no better, nor is Inkscape.

Windows 8 ships with fonts with no kerning pairs defined? Firefox supports kerning in Windows (a bit too aggressively in fact: it over-kerns) — so are most programs just ignoring kerning?

Keming.png
Keming.png (185.49 KiB) Viewed 4461 times
WTF?

(And I don't mean the eyeball bleed caused by enlarging Comic Sans to such gruesome proportions.)

Muirium
µ

09 Jun 2014, 01:08

Ain't it gruesome? Comic sans really is that despairingly, bone headly, ubiquitously, superlatively, spuriously and excessively adverbially bad. Even at a simple thing like kerning. But its fellow traditional web-safe font Times New Roman isn't quite as hopeless on the Mac. Apple doing it wrong again!
Avant.png
Avant.png (149.66 KiB) Viewed 4450 times
But my favorite thing is what they actually called it. Only Trebuchet (gag) and Arial Unicode share that appellation on OS X, despite fair old Georgia and Verdana being just as Microsofty.

Daniel Beardsmore

09 Jun 2014, 01:15

I'm more worried about the window buttons being Microsoft-style — since when have Apple ever taken design cues from Microsoft? (I know there was a huge outcry when Apple started using toolbars, when OS X came out, but at least Apple did it in a way that was intelligent and consistent.)

webwit
Wild Duck

09 Jun 2014, 01:21

Oh dear, the font nazi have arrived! I think this thread is lost now.
Spoiler:

mr_a500

09 Jun 2014, 01:31

Daniel Beardsmore wrote:I'm more worried about the window buttons being Microsoft-style — since when have Apple ever taken design cues from Microsoft? (I know there was a huge outcry when Apple started using toolbars, when OS X came out, but at least Apple did it in a way that was intelligent and consistent.)
The new style is absolute crap. It's like they fired the real artists and let a preschool kid with crayons design the new look. When I saw the new buttons and icons, I swore loudly in disbelief.

Muirium
µ

09 Jun 2014, 01:40

mr_a500 wrote:and let a preschool kid with crayons design the new look.
That's Sir Jony Ive to you!

Yosemite is so Helvetica rich, my moustache is positively atwitch! I wouldn't run it on anything but a retina display, though, if I were you…
Spoiler:
Screen Shot 2014-06-09 at 12.38.37 AM.png
Screen Shot 2014-06-09 at 12.38.37 AM.png (962.6 KiB) Viewed 4429 times

Hypersphere

09 Jun 2014, 02:09

How many of you have watched the Helvetica movie?

Muirium
µ

09 Jun 2014, 02:15

I did. And I suspect several people here did, too. The scene with the before and after of Helvetica on magazine advertising is an absolute classic. Anyone who wonders what the big deal is about with fonts needs to see that.

Return to “Off-topic”