Top Gun Coolmadness Whoopi Goldberg As Guinan's Eyebrows

Muirium
µ

28 May 2014, 16:10

I hate dust in my keyboards, so I strip them right down and clean the buggers on arrival. Clearly I'm doing it all wrong!

sth
2 girls 1 cuprubber

28 May 2014, 20:06

dang it you guys!! come on and compete!

Halvar

28 May 2014, 20:53

sth wrote:new blog post: blog link

motha
fuckin
YOOOOOOOOO
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2 ... nerds.html
Define "YOOOOOOOOO" please. :?:

If it means: look at this huge pile of bs, then I guess we're on the same page.

sth
2 girls 1 cuprubber

28 May 2014, 21:46

Halvar wrote:

motha
fuckin
YOOOOOOOOO

this is probably not the blog for you my man 8-) feel free to start a blog to voice your opinions!

but please don't, there are enough blogs with bad opinions 8-)

Muirium
µ

28 May 2014, 21:52

And so began the DT social platform wars!

(I doubt there's pro-misogyny here so much as anti-beast bias. I can't stand the whole Huffpo side of the web myself, either, irrespective of whether its arguing something I favour or oppose. Linkbait's just plain stinky.)

sth
2 girls 1 cuprubber

28 May 2014, 22:12

Muirium
µ

28 May 2014, 22:17

Dazzled by Ryker semiotics! He says nothing. Yet he says everything!

sth
2 girls 1 cuprubber

28 May 2014, 22:19

he says far too much

Halvar

28 May 2014, 23:09

sth wrote:
Halvar wrote:

motha
fuckin
YOOOOOOOOO

this is probably not the blog for you my man 8-) feel free to start a blog to voice your opinions!

but please don't, there are enough blogs with bad opinions 8-)
Sure, as if "motha fuckin YOOOOOOOOO" <link> is any way to voice an opinion (or, I agree, "huge pile of bs", for that matter). From what I've seen so far, this blog/thread just isn't the place to discuss anything as differentiated as this article. So better continue to post some funny pics and spare us "Yoooo"s to extensive controversial feminist "we live in a rape culture" articles like this that would need a whole wall of text to seriously comment on.

I guess our respective experiences with feminism are so differnt, and we live in so different cultures that it would probably not even make sense to discuss this. Try to learn something about women in other cultures while you're in Europe is all I can say. The Netherlands might be a good place for that actually.

Daniel Beardsmore

29 May 2014, 00:46

webwit
Wild Duck

29 May 2014, 01:50

Muirium
µ

29 May 2014, 02:09

Don't worry. Back in the future, we totally have all this worked out. We all wear equally figure hugging outfits and just deal with it:

Well, except for the baddies…

Oh the baddies.

webwit
Wild Duck

29 May 2014, 02:27

I love the babes in Buck Rogers. I agree it has emancipated sexism. Everybody is hot. It has the sex factor Star Wars doesn't have. I'm only posting this as an excuse to post a video with Erin Gray.

sth
2 girls 1 cuprubber

29 May 2014, 06:38

PaiCrai

29 May 2014, 16:01

More Ryker plz.

webwit
Wild Duck

29 May 2014, 17:04

Because of the Y-chromosome there are more brilliant and more stupid men, compared to women. A biological fact which is often denied by political correctness.

The interesting thing to note is that the women are not the (only) victims of the right side. Most men and women are. The group to worry about is the left side. More men than women. This is the most exploited class. I will start to care about the women who will excel in middle-management and shit, once they care about the men and women in that class.

scottc

29 May 2014, 17:06

webwit
Wild Duck

29 May 2014, 17:43

I'm not much or a Ryker fan. Still think he was cloned from a mole Shatner had once removed. It will never be as good as the real thing.

mr_a500

29 May 2014, 18:10

Yeah, Riker just wouldn't be able to pull this sort of thing off:

Muirium
µ

29 May 2014, 18:13

Ryker's duty was to stand off to the side and make sympathetic faces while Picard or Worf etc. said anything emotionally dumb. He was the audience's mediator. Dumb, really, when Troi could have handled that and make us like her better for who she was, instead of her clingy costumes, luscious Greek hair and Aphroditean boobs…

In the original, Kirk, Spock and Bones played off each other so well there was no need to set one of them aside for the task. If only Uhura and Nurse Roddenberry had been full members of the club. But, still, not bad for the 60s.

As for IQ curves: good point about the toil of the working man. Trouble is, here in Britain anyway, working women are the most abused quadrant of all. That whole smarmy smooth charm thing we do to the ladies (picturing Roger Moore) only really makes sense when you see how small their paychecks are. Worst of all, the dumb end of the media makes femininism hideously unpopular amongst working class women as well as men. So the politicians have no need to address this.

Thanks for starting a "social sciences explored through discursive analysis of Star Trek" blog, Sth!

webwit
Wild Duck

29 May 2014, 20:29

Frakes is just a B-actor who lacks the x-factor for a higher ranking, and was very happy to get a 5 year contract and go to work everyday. At least, that was the feeling I had. Like most of the cast. Only the captain, doctor and spock (data etc.) characters had any weight in casting in the new series. Not that one needs a lot more for the Aaron Spelling type of industrial morality play. They might as well have nicknamed the series BH90210 In Space.

Do the British ladies take more abuse and make less than the guys in the factories, driving trucks and cleaning oil tanks? Do they clean oil tanks at all? Do they care about the guys cleaning the oil tanks? I never hear of such a thing. I do hear a lot of entitlement based on gender instead of merit, which I consider sexist.

mr_a500

29 May 2014, 21:21

Things were so much simpler, back in the old days:

adhoc

30 May 2014, 08:21

webwit wrote:Because of the Y-chromosome there are more brilliant and more stupid men, compared to women. A biological fact which is often denied by political correctness.

The interesting thing to note is that the women are not the (only) victims of the right side. Most men and women are. The group to worry about is the left side. More men than women. This is the most exploited class. I will start to care about the women who will excel in middle-management and shit, once they care about the men and women in that class.
Well that's like totally your opinion! I grew up to be a bum because I'm cool like that 8-)

sth
2 girls 1 cuprubber

30 May 2014, 08:30

you guys!! you're so dumb.

riker was there to wear a beard. period.

iq curves are like
the most boring thing
seriously go outside and smell some dirt it's way cooler and you will learn a lot more about yourself and the world from getting dirt into your nosehole than all the reading in the world on a manmade measurement of who fricking cares

PUT DIRT IN YOUR NOSE RIGHT NOW

WEAR A HAT YOU NEVER WORE BEFORE BUT DO IT NICELY

PET A DOG

and you will have a good day :geek:

webwit
Wild Duck

30 May 2014, 13:50

Truthiness - truth from the gut because it feels right!
People like that typically elect extremely fascist leaders, like Bush or Obama.

mr_a500

30 May 2014, 13:56

sth wrote:riker was there to wear a beard. period.
I see your point. So the beard was the actual character known as #2 and Riker was just there to hold it up. Without Riker, the beard would be sitting on the ground and it would make it difficult for character interaction, camera angles, lighting and so forth. It all makes sense now.

mr_a500

30 May 2014, 14:09

webwit wrote:Truthiness - truth from the gut because it feels right!
The US is a fascist country now. It doesn't matter who is "elected". The policies remain the same.

Icarium

30 May 2014, 14:10

It's like with Dax and Jetsia...

webwit
Wild Duck

30 May 2014, 14:19

mr_a500 wrote:
webwit wrote:Truthiness - truth from the gut because it feels right!
The US is a fascist country now. It doesn't matter who is "elected". The policies remain the same.
The people are not innocent. For example, before Obama was first elected, the whole of reddit cheerleaded him, downvoting anyone who dared to criticize. The epitome of that was the selection of the vice-president, who was already known as a puppet of the copyright industry, lobbying for prison time:
http://www.cnet.com/news/joe-bidens-pro ... ng-record/
It was clear from everything that Obama was just another fascist, using a different demographic to get elected to power.
The people went "nanana we can't hear you".
A few years later Aaron Swartz kills himself, because of that policy the copyright industry bought themselves.
The people of reddit blamed everybody, except themselves. Except they voted for it. They went "nanana we can't hear you". And the next elections, they'll do it again for the next fascist. It doesn't matter which side or country - the people are stupid and hypocrites, and it kills people.

Muirium
µ

30 May 2014, 14:21

Just out of curiosity Webwit, any of these guys not an egregrious fascist, in your opinion?

Oddly enough, the BBC has a hardon for Dutch fascists. Apparently because they're so cute. Don't hear much about all the others in Europe, but there was something about Pim Fortuyn which really piqued the English imagination. Kind of like Nige Farrage, actually…

If all my examples are from last decade, its because I snoozequit politics coverage right around then. It's treated like light entertainment, not the weighty stuff it is, almost up there with Trek.

Return to “Off-topic”