Top Gun Coolmadness Whoopi Goldberg As Guinan's Eyebrows

sth
2 girls 1 cuprubber

30 May 2014, 14:22

hi guys
america is not facist
america is a domineering imperial oligarchy

big difference

webwit have you ever read zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance?

and why all of a sudden is everybody trying to have super boring rehashed arguments for weak political stances up in my blog

Muirium
µ

30 May 2014, 14:26

There's always one live thread on DT where all that comes up. You'll know better next time not to invite it! Not that this is always enough…

http://deskthority.net/off-topic-f10/gh ... in#p112990

webwit
Wild Duck

30 May 2014, 14:35

The founders of the US had some very healthy political ideas, and some of them actually predicted some of the trouble.

I wouldn't want to see Farrage with absolute power, but hope he keeps kicking the establishment. Because without him, would there be anyone kicking left?

Democracy has been played and defeated. The politicians know how to game their electorate. There is no easy fix because the people are stupid.

mr_a500

30 May 2014, 14:44

webwit wrote:The people are not innocent. For example, before Obama was first elected, the whole of reddit cheerleaded him, downvoting anyone who dared to criticize. The epitome of that was the selection of the vice-president, who was already known as a puppet of the copyright industry, lobbying for prison time:
http://www.cnet.com/news/joe-bidens-pro ... ng-record/
It was clear from everything that Obama was just another fascist, using a different demographic to get elected to power.
The people went "nanana we can't hear you".
A few years later Aaron Swartz kills himself, because of that policy the copyright industry bought themselves.
The people of reddit blamed everybody, except themselves. Except they voted for it. They went "nanana we can't hear you". And the next elections, they'll do it again for the next fascist. It doesn't matter which side or country - the people are stupid and hypocrites, and it kills people.
I agree that the people are stupid. No argument there. But it really didn't matter who won. If it wasn't Obama, it would have been Hillary. She would have been the same pot of shit. John Kerry is just as bad. On the Republican side was McCain and that moronic twit. So the people probably thought, "Ah, what the hell - let's try a black guy and see what happens. At least it'll be a record."

Next time, they'll probably say, "Ah, what the hell - let's try a woman and see what happens." But it'll be the same shit.

The main problem is that the candidates are pre-selected by the real people who rule.

Muirium
µ

30 May 2014, 14:47

webwit wrote:The politicians know how to game their electorate. There is no easy fix because the people are stupid.
That's pretty much what I settled on after wasting a decade of Thursday nights watching politics shows over here. The only votes that matter are the dumbest of them all. And the politicians themselves, in London anyway, have a weird prison / public schoolboy mentality that playing along with the system is the only way to avoid humiliation, so snap in line, boy!

I'm not turned off politics entirely — government matters, as do secret trials and pointless wars — but I had to admit that as just a voter, or even potentially an activist, my influence is far too small to justify my time. There are better hobbies out there. Especially in peacetime like this, when the precise identity of the leaders of small European nations matter less than ever before in history.

Politics is for media moguls and other dynasties. Unless I happen by one of those in absurd luck someday; I'll vote, but I won't be held accountable for the collective choice of all those gurning morons we call our fellow man.

adhoc

30 May 2014, 14:55

I think you hate Obama because he's black and because you're all racists. I think Obama is great as all black people are and a black person can never be a bad person because the whites always oppressed them and hence white people are the real evil of this world!

Muirium
µ

30 May 2014, 14:59

Webwit loves to bring him up because he knows, despite it all, I still really like Obama. The more bad shit his administration has got up to, the more he reminds me of Johnson, one of my favouritest presidents of all. He was a sonofabitch, and despite his reputation, he got so much more done for human rights in practice than any president before or since. Unless you were in Vietnam…

You don't rule a country like America with honesty and kindness. Hell, you don't even get up the first step on the political ladder without learning how to lie! It's all about choosing shades of evil, and stopping someone else.

Maybe in a few centuries, American kids will be taught about jolly old Saint Obama, along with Johnson, and Lincoln. Time heals… with fantasy and bullshit. Lincoln was a tough cookie. Millions died for him. A lesser president would have allowed slavery to persist, and the South to own the Union. But he chose to pay with his own people's blood. As strange as it seems in this day and age, that kind of murder is what makes a hero.
Last edited by Muirium on 30 May 2014, 15:03, edited 1 time in total.

adhoc

30 May 2014, 15:01

mr_a500

30 May 2014, 15:04

Muirium wrote:Webwit loves to bring him up because he knows, despite it all, I still really like Obama. The more bad shit his administration has got up to, the more he reminds me of Johnson, one of my favouritest presidents of all. He was a sonofabitch, and despite his reputation, he got so much more done for human rights than any president before or since. Unless you were in Vietnam…
You like Obama?? You think Obama did anything for "human rights"? Do you like how he increased the illegal drone killings? How about the massive increase in NSA spying? Obama is like the bastard son of Bush junior.

I don't even know how a "no fly zone" over Libya suddenly meant "bomb the shit out of the country and kill its leader".

Muirium
µ

30 May 2014, 15:26

Yes, I like Obama! Not for human rights — we're in a horrible, global, recessive age for that — but for his healthcare reform (which will be a hot potato in American politics for decades to come, but finally exists!) and for being the first fully functioning human in the job since Clinton.

NSA and killer drones are evil, yes. But we'll smile back on these small potatoes once the next republican has your Canadian armed forces, and ours, in Tehran.

mr_a500

30 May 2014, 15:39

Muirium wrote:Yes, I like Obama! Not for human rights — we're in a horrible, global, recessive age for that — but for his healthcare reform (which will be a hot potato in American politics for decades to come, but finally exists!) and for being the first fully functioning human in the job since Clinton.

NSA and killer drones are evil, yes. But we'll smile back on these small potatoes once the next republican has your Canadian armed forces, and ours, in Tehran.
It'll be Hillary bombing the shit out of Tehran, just to prove a woman can be tough. When people get sick of Hillary (probably quite quickly) then it's on to Jeb Bush. (or some other half-wit Republican puppet)

About the healthcare - true healthcare reform would have been a great thing to do, but the crap that they pushed through just profits the insurance companies. They did it completely wrong.

sth
2 girls 1 cuprubber

30 May 2014, 15:40

hey
you guys!!

everything you're saying is totally pointless!! holy crap!

until every human on earth actively wills capitalism out of existence, everything you're complaining about is moot. hush up and smells some dirt.

Madhias
BS TORPE

30 May 2014, 15:42

mr_a500 wrote:About the healthcare - true healthcare reform would have been a great thing to do, but the crap that they pushed through just profits the insurance companies. They did it completely wrong.
But at least they did something - what the other side would not have done.

mr_a500

30 May 2014, 15:43

sth wrote:hey
you guys!!

everything you're saying is totally pointless!! holy crap!

until every human on earth actively wills capitalism out of existence, everything you're complaining about is moot. hush up and smells some dirt.
Shhhh! We're talking here. Get your own blog. ;)

sth
2 girls 1 cuprubber

30 May 2014, 15:45

meta blog post: i am pleased

you guys! i have to say... while i agree with maybe 2% of deskthority members when it comes to capitalism and politics and social relations, i am engladdened to see the discussion on my blog on this new platform.

my old blogging platform attracted a lot of nonsense. at least on this new blogging platform the nonsense is made up of $20 words.

next step: chill on the depressingly-limited and short-sighted political discussion

7bit

30 May 2014, 15:48

Muirium wrote:... I still really like Obama. ...
I can see you are a victim of propaganda.
:roll:

Muirium
µ

30 May 2014, 15:48

Hush, you. The greybeards are waking up!

Hillary bombs Iran. But it takes bush, not balls, to get our troops tangled up there for a decade!

Iran's tougher than Iraq. If you think that last one took a while, this nightmare may well be a cross-party project, like Vietnam.

webwit
Wild Duck

30 May 2014, 16:01

@sth We'll return to the misogyny once we're done with the fascists.

sth
2 girls 1 cuprubber

30 May 2014, 16:11

webwit wrote:@sth We'll return to the misogyny once we're done with the fascists.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5BjCe0zA8Q[/youtube]

sth
2 girls 1 cuprubber

30 May 2014, 16:11

dangit webwit what the heck kind of sick nonstandard youtube link syntax game are you playing here
Last edited by sth on 30 May 2014, 16:14, edited 1 time in total.

Muirium
µ

30 May 2014, 16:13

Never will that be fixed, NEVER!!!!

7bit

30 May 2014, 16:29

I like the way sth posted the link more, because that is as useless, but does not cause a black rectangle!
:evilgeek:

Julle

30 May 2014, 19:43

It's a dark place, the world without Javascript.

Muirium
µ

30 May 2014, 19:45

Dark, perhaps, but also light.

My 11 year old iMac works better without him. But I've no idea what 7bit's up to…

Julle

30 May 2014, 19:58

Your slow transition into 'microsoft windows' has begun.

NoScript. Not even once.

7bit

30 May 2014, 20:03

Muirium wrote:...
My 11 year old iMac works better without him. But I've no idea what 7bit's up to…
I just hate JabbaScript, that's all.
:mad:

sth
2 girls 1 cuprubber

31 May 2014, 00:23

webwit
Wild Duck

31 May 2014, 00:31

Someone made a video player in perl once, but it was pulled because of obscure usability (you had to send it commands like PLAY VIDEO and STOP) and it kept spamming people with emails asking if they wanted to see more videos.

7bit

31 May 2014, 00:49

To get rid of that problem, just send:
CLEARALL
EMAIL

CLEARALL ensures that no more videos are played and EMAIL resets the e-mail address of your account, so no more spam comes in.

Can't be simpler!
:P

sth
2 girls 1 cuprubber

31 May 2014, 10:15

don't forget to order more!! :ugeek:

Return to “Off-topic”