deskthority - Suggestions and Changelog

Muirium
µ

09 Feb 2015, 13:24

I assumed you'd go with either Yosemite or Metro for your counter argument. MS Office on Mac is a strange horse, but not one prized for taking bold decisions and giving long term users the finger. Well, besides up their rear…

webwit
Wild Duck

09 Feb 2015, 13:41

7bit wrote: BTW: that "7bit triangle down" button just works for log-out, it does not redirect to User Control Panel etc.
:roll:
For increased functionality, enable javascript for deskthority.net.

Topre Enthusiast

09 Feb 2015, 13:46

Can you pretty please centre the label of the 'Spy' button? :D

Edit: Actually I never realised it before but it seems that extra bit to the left was always there. You should put a hidden jump-scare image to the left of the 'Members' button and I reckon you'd quickly train people to go straight to the new place for 'Spy' :)

matt3o
-[°_°]-

09 Feb 2015, 13:47

I find the "new posts" more useful than the "top topics"... but there would be enough room for both. Just saying...

webwit
Wild Duck

09 Feb 2015, 13:51

That alignment is by design, because of:
headeralign.jpg
headeralign.jpg (182.18 KiB) Viewed 4717 times

webwit
Wild Duck

09 Feb 2015, 13:54

matt3o wrote: I find the "new posts" more useful than the "top topics"... but there would be enough room for both. Just saying...

Topre Enthusiast

09 Feb 2015, 13:56

Ahh, gotcha!
New layout is good, man. I like the Wiki link and overall looks very clean. Took me a while to find the Admin/Mod section but I think I prefer it discretely tucked away down the bottom.

7bit

09 Feb 2015, 14:12

This is how it looks to me:
new-DT_header.png
new-DT_header.png (112.42 KiB) Viewed 4697 times

Now, where are my messages?
How do I log out?
:?

xbb

09 Feb 2015, 14:16

7bit wrote: This is how it looks to me:

Now, where are my messages?
How do I log out?
:?
Scroll right! Or use a proper browser :)

matt3o
-[°_°]-

09 Feb 2015, 14:26

webwit wrote:
matt3o wrote: I find the "new posts" more useful than the "top topics"... but there would be enough room for both. Just saying...
it is if you check DT regularly

7bit

09 Feb 2015, 14:50

webwit wrote:
7bit wrote: BTW: that "7bit triangle down" button just works for log-out, it does not redirect to User Control Panel etc.
For increased functionality, enable javascript for deskthority.net.
I didn't need JavaScrap before, except to view spoiler stuff, so you have crippled the functionality of DT even more!
:o

I've got to scroll to the right to access that button. On the other hand, I don't need IRC, the Spy and Search!

Seriously, what is wrong with this design:
:ugeek:

It had been perfect, why change it?
:cry:

For comparison:
:mad:

webwit
Wild Duck

09 Feb 2015, 15:02

I don't know what you did there for the zoom. Logout is at the same location as before. You would have loved our Arabic language setting though, which was disabled because of lack of use.

7bit

09 Feb 2015, 15:06

If I would be arabic, I would let the browser scroll to the right by default and had the same situation.
:P

Again, my question:
Why the change?
:-)

Muirium
µ

09 Feb 2015, 15:13

A design that never gets changed… hmm… I like that, but for a community like DT you've got to admit it looks like abandonment! People judge a lot of things by first impression. If their impression is that DT is stuck, then they won't stick around to give it a shot.
7bit wrote: you have crippled the functionality of DT even more!
Even more! (What was the beef last time? When Webwit dropped Gopher support?)

webwit
Wild Duck

09 Feb 2015, 15:14

Needed room for new stuff like Top topics and wiki, and because I like to confuse people with new designs.

I even tested it on IE8 with a VM! Your browser < IE8. :twisted:

Halvar

09 Feb 2015, 15:18

It would be a nice on-topic touch if we had keyboard shortcuts for all of these links. Many already have one.

Code: Select all

<a class="nav-menu-inner-a" accesskey="m" title="Eigene Beiträge" href="./search.php?search_id=egosearch">Eigene Beiträge</a>

Muirium
µ

09 Feb 2015, 15:24

Nice. Are they bare shortcuts where you simply press the key without a mod? I'm guessing that might screw around with some browsers' quick search function, where tying anywhere but inside a textfield instigates a "find and highlight text in page" mode.

Simple things get ugly on the web!

Findecanor

09 Feb 2015, 15:46

Only plebes maximize their browser windows. :P Set the width of the div to 100% and make the menu right-aligned, or put it back like it was.
Change for change's saker is never justified.
webwit wrote: That alignment is by design, because of:
The grey button is not aligned to the body but to the background image.
Last edited by Findecanor on 09 Feb 2015, 16:55, edited 1 time in total.

andrewjoy

09 Feb 2015, 15:51

you can just use vimium if you use chrome or vimari if you use safari and that will let you navigate with keyboard no shortcuts needed :)

7bit you can use UZBL as that has vim style navigation built in :)

Halvar

09 Feb 2015, 16:05

Muirium wrote: Nice. Are they bare shortcuts where you simply press the key without a mod? I'm guessing that might screw around with some browsers' quick search function, where tying anywhere but inside a textfield instigates a "find and highlight text in page" mode.

Simple things get ugly on the web!
Yes they do: it depends on the browser! On Firefox/Windows, its Alt+Shift+<key>, on Mac/Safari it should be Alt+Ctrl+<key>, most other browsers use Alt+<key>. It configurable in most browsers ...

E.g. <Alt>+<Shift>+U brings me to the User Control Panel here in Firefox/Windows.

SL89

09 Feb 2015, 16:15

i like the new layout, but ive run into a bug, whenever i go to respond to a PM or thread the top bar instead of having the three buttons on the top right, ends up with a field of scattered individual buttons with all of the things that would be covered by the drop downs. if it happens again ill get a screen shot of it.

webwit
Wild Duck

09 Feb 2015, 17:04

Clear your browser cache or reload pages with the problem.

webwit
Wild Duck

09 Feb 2015, 17:11

Findecanor wrote: Only plebes maximize their browser windows. :P Set the width of the div to 100% and make the menu right-aligned, or put it back like it was.
Change for change's saker is never justified.
You're free to make us a responsive design ;)
As it is the header width and menu alignment is the same as before, only the buttons were reshuffled. So I'm not sure how putting it back like it was would change the issue of people having windows < 1024px.

webwit
Wild Duck

09 Feb 2015, 21:51

Muirium wrote:
xbb wrote: Maybe I would move the search box in place of the button to enlarge the text (always visible)
Speaking of which: that setting still doesn't stick.
This is now fixed.

Muirium
µ

09 Feb 2015, 22:18

So it is! Ah, happy days. All that small text had me zooming too hard.

Muirium
µ

09 Feb 2015, 22:45

Halvar wrote: On Firefox/Windows, its Alt+Shift+<key>, on Mac/Safari it should be Alt+Ctrl+<key>, most other browsers use Alt+<key>. It configurable in most browsers ...

E.g. <Alt>+<Shift>+U brings me to the User Control Panel here in Firefox/Windows.
Yup: Control+Option+U confirmed on OS X Safari. Got any other ones? I could use a shortcut for the Forum Spy, which I head to after making a post. Browser history bounces me back to the post-post-posting page if I simply hit Command+[ (previous page).

Things I'd like shortcuts for, in order of interest:
  • Spy.
  • Private message inbox.
  • Search.
  • Wiki.
Forum search and wiki both have good (autocompleting) URLs currently, so I'm almost there already with those. But getting to the Spy means Command+L, D, down, down, Return right now for me. And I do it often enough an improvement will count indeed!

Just thinking out loud here. To really open up keyboard navigation for the site, I could really use a cursor that allows me to pick threads to open from the forum spy, and then for selecting individual posts to hit Reply on etc. A shortcut for the Submit button would be useful too! I often type out all the BBCode tags myself just because it's quicker for me than context switching to the pointer anyway.

7bit

10 Feb 2015, 00:54

Muirium wrote: A design that never gets changed… hmm… I like that, but for a community like DT you've got to admit it looks like abandonment! People judge a lot of things by first impression. If their impression is that DT is stuck, then they won't stick around to give it a shot.
7bit wrote: you have crippled the functionality of DT even more!
Even more! (What was the beef last time? When Webwit dropped Gopher support?)
- spoiler tags that require JavaScrap
- it does not scale well (too wide)
- serach does not really work as it should
- attachment tags are too verbose, could be shorter names
- file upload gives uploaded files the wrong order (last uploaded file becomes first)
- :?

webwit
Wild Duck

10 Feb 2015, 00:55

- not in Perl

7bit

10 Feb 2015, 00:58

- no moderator anymore (even with JavaScrap on)
- no administrator anymore (even with JavaScrap on)
:cry:

Muirium
µ

10 Feb 2015, 01:05

• Consider yourself the only guy who cares that much about JavaScript. I used to browse with a JavaScript whitelist in OmniWeb on my G4, because most of the web is crazy for the stuff these days. But even with that elderly machine, I never noticed any performance issues with its very gentle use here at DT. Whitelist us!
  • Now that we're back to 3 text sizes again, the width issue isn't so bad, so long as your browser can remember a default zoom for this domain.
  • Specific recommendations? I find it much better than Google or DuckDuckGo when pointed at DT. Mostly because of its knowledge of topics rather than just pages.
  • You mean the filenames that people use when they upload? Attachments are just numbered really.
  • The reverse ordered attachments thing is a bit nippy, actually. I'd like to see that flipped too.
  • Look at the footer.

Return to “Deskthority talk”