Post your deskthority header images here

webwit
Wild Duck

22 Feb 2015, 13:56

During the day he's just an average Scotsman, doing his Scotsman job.

But at night, he turns into THE HEADER NAZI! :evilgeek:

Stabilized

22 Feb 2015, 13:59

idollar wrote: Or my Fujifilm GX680 III S Professional. But why shall we worry? It will not be sharp enough. And for sure out of focus at f22. :mrgreen:
Ooooh pretty camera, so do you use your's with a digital back?
I would love to be able to afford a medium format camera some day, but I think they will have to get a bit smaller before I do, as I love hiking/taking pictures :D

@Muirium: I think the camera does make a difference, but I do concede that under the right conditions, nearly any camera can take a good picture. It is with anything else though, the more you spend the less returns you will see; I, personally, would love to get a medium format camera just so that I can blow up landscapes and stick them on my wall ;)
Honestly, I think it's a pipe dream as film is too expensive and too cumbersome in medium format cameras, and the digital cameras are too heavy and bulky now.

Stabilized

22 Feb 2015, 14:01

webwit wrote: During the day he's just an average Scotsman, doing his Scotsman job.

But at night, he turns into THE HEADER NAZI! :evilgeek:
:lol:

If you see someone around Edinburgh wearing that as a t-shirt you know who it is Muirium ;)

idollar
i$

22 Feb 2015, 14:16

Stabilized wrote: Ooooh pretty camera, so do you use your's with a digital back?
I would love to be able to afford a medium format camera some day, but I think they will have to get a bit smaller before I do, as I love hiking/taking pictures :D
First: I did not used the Fuji to take this picture.
I used a Nikon d800 with good Nikor lenses. For this particular picture, I guess that I used the 135mm 2.0 DC.

To get digital versions of my pictures with the Fuji, I shoot with film that I scan. Each picture cost approx 1 euro. With a roll of film one can make, if I remember correctly 10pictures. If you are after quality, forget about digital and use analog. There is nothing still that can match a 8x9 cm negative of ISO 50 Velvia.
Stabilized wrote: @Muirium: I think the camera does make a difference, but I do concede that under the right conditions, nearly any camera can take a good picture. It is with anything else though, the more you spend the less returns you will see;
One could say that a good lens (and camera) is necesary but not sufficient.

7bit

22 Feb 2015, 14:20

I really like this one.
:-)

I do not like this, because it looks lame:
:roll:

However, when it comes to photography, nothing beats large format!
:o

8x10 Velvia 50 is the way to go!
:evilgeek:

idollar
i$

22 Feb 2015, 14:21

7bit wrote: 8x10 Velvia 50 is the way to go!
Indeed.

idollar
i$

22 Feb 2015, 14:24

7bit wrote: Image
I really like this one.
The dust visible on top of the plate is the demonstration that this image is sharp. :mrgreen:

7bit

22 Feb 2015, 14:25

Wait!
:?

DUST?!!!!

THAT CAN'T BE TOLERATED!!!!
:mad:

idollar
i$

22 Feb 2015, 14:28

Muirium wrote: I'm just going by what I see in the image ...
Then simply let us know if you like the pictures that we post. If you do not like what I am showing I will accept your decision. No problem at all. :D

idollar
i$

22 Feb 2015, 14:31

7bit wrote: Wait!
:?

DUST?!!!!

THAT CAN'T BE TOLERATED!!!!
:mad:
I wouldn't.
Buy a bottle of Mr.Proper and shoot again :mrgreen:
Mr-Proper-Logo.jpg.pagespeed.ce.YriPcucBfq.jpg
Mr-Proper-Logo.jpg.pagespeed.ce.YriPcucBfq.jpg (12.01 KiB) Viewed 3602 times
BTW: I cleaned the surface twice before I started taking photos. I will glow air next time also.

Muirium
µ

22 Feb 2015, 14:44

I've had a look with 4 screens now, and the old PowerBook didn't lie: the super close up ones just aren't tack sharp. Before you blow a gasket, i$, that's not a judgement on you but a sign you're pushing your glass too close. The wider picture 7bit relinked is indeed better. Zoom right in on the screw threads and you'll see the detail is no better, but it is shrunk to a smaller scale, retaining sharpness when viewed natively.

He's right about the dust, though. And that apparent gradient still bugs me. Fancy reshooting after a fanatically fine clean and with a bit more illumination to bring up that curve a bit? I'd like to say I'm kidding, but my moustache twitches too much and always gives me away!

By the way, I think you might want to try something less than obvious: open up your aperture a bit. Really tight apertures aren't always sharper, thanks to diffraction kicking in. You wind up getting more depth of field but more fringeing too. Try a sequence, changing by a fraction of a stop each time, and share the results! A line of tight crops right on the screw will show where your glass has its sweet spot.

7bit

22 Feb 2015, 14:52

idollar_improved_001.jpg
idollar_improved_001.jpg (85.88 KiB) Viewed 3574 times

idollar
i$

22 Feb 2015, 14:57

Muirium wrote: I've had a look with 4 screens now, and the old PowerBook didn't lie: the super close up ones just aren't tack sharp. ...
I shall stick to my word, I accept your decision with respect. I will not open again the keyboard. :?
This was (hopefully) the end of a nice conversation

idollar
i$

22 Feb 2015, 15:01

idollar wrote: [
This was (hopefully) the end of a nice conversation
i was kidding. What about this one. Is it sharp enough ? jajajaja
Attachments
white.jpg
white.jpg (2.7 KiB) Viewed 3567 times

idollar
i$

22 Feb 2015, 15:03

sorry, I did not realised that one cannot see the logo.
This one is better. :mrgreen:
Attachments
black.jpg
black.jpg (2.77 KiB) Viewed 3563 times

7bit

You over exposed in the first and under exposed in the 2nd!!!
:roll:

edit: Also, you can edit posts.
;-)

Muirium
µ

Oooh, lens flare! Throw in some Star Trek figurines and we might have a theme!

idollar
i$

22 Feb 2015, 15:07

Muirium wrote: Oooh, lens flare! Throw in some Star Trek figurines and we might have a theme!

webwit
Wild Duck

22 Feb 2015, 15:09

Almost perfect. Needs more fire.
idollar_improved_001.jpg
idollar_improved_001.jpg (86.42 KiB) Viewed 3541 times

idollar
i$

22 Feb 2015, 15:10

webwit wrote: Almost perfect. Needs more fire.
idollar_improved_001.jpg
Ahhhh - You have melted my bolts !

7bit

22 Feb 2015, 15:21

Here is a further improvement:
idollar_improved_003.jpg
idollar_improved_003.jpg (90.48 KiB) Viewed 3526 times
:cool:

idollar
i$

22 Feb 2015, 15:40

I am serious now. After today's discussion, this picture (the last one) should go in the pool of headers :lol:

Halvar

22 Feb 2015, 15:44

To always only go for a naturalistic and ultrasharp look is really kind of boring. I'd rather have more topics covered. Where are the bolt/screw mod headers? Do we have any?

Muirium
µ

22 Feb 2015, 16:04

Too soon. I still suffer post traumatic bolt mod disorder…
idollar wrote:
Muirium wrote: Oooh, lens flare! Throw in some Star Trek figurines and we might have a theme!
You think I was kidding?

idollar
i$

22 Feb 2015, 16:20

Muirium wrote: Too soon. I still suffer post traumatic bolt mod disorder…
idollar wrote:
You think I was kidding?

Never, my sharp master :mrgreen:

BTW: I do not like these figures.

7bit

22 Feb 2015, 16:22

Tip to avoid any conflict:
If people complain about your rejection, just give in and add the header image for a day or two. Once they noticed their header image is not in the rotation anymore, pretend that so many other images had been submitted since then, that there was no space left for it.

edit:
Not the dirty one, the clean one with webwit's fire and matt3o's bot-flare!

Muirium
µ

22 Feb 2015, 16:26

Very astute! I just added 3 images to the rotation, one of which is i$'s shot as picked by 7bit. I can't say I think it's great (all that dark on the right instead of the left!) but we'll see if it grows on me. Opinions?

As always, you can see the full active lineup here:

http://deskthority.net/headers.php

And I already purged the gradients!

idollar
i$

22 Feb 2015, 16:41

Muirium wrote: Very astute! I just added 3 images to the rotation, one of which is i$'s shot as picked by 7bit. I can't say I think it's great (all that dark on the right instead of the left!) but we'll see if it grows on me. Opinions?
:D

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

22 Feb 2015, 17:22

Hmm you added my Fujitsu leaf spring PIC to the rotation?

mr_a500

22 Feb 2015, 17:46

7bit wrote: Here is a further improvement:
:cool:
That's starting to remind me of this:

Return to “Deskthority talk”