Post your deskthority header images here

ramnes
ПБТ НАВСЕГДА

27 Oct 2015, 23:22

And what about Mezzano?

mr_a500

27 Oct 2015, 23:44

scottc wrote: So Haiku then?
Haiku sucks - over a decade of development and it's still not even as good as 2001 BeOS, which itself is flawed. "AmigaOS" 4.1 sucks. MorphOS sucks. They all suck.

My favourite OS doesn't exist. It's a theoretical mixing of the best from Amiga (3.1), BeOS, OSX and others - where the user is in total control of absolutely everything. Unfortunately, operating systems seem to be going in the opposite direction - locked down user-hostile shit.

I can't continue talking about operating systems though. I end up violently angry, my face goes purple as I claw at the sky and curse the known universe. Doctor says my head could explode next time.
snuci wrote: Don't tell me you have an Amiga 3000UX? I've been hunting one down for a while. That would make your favourite Unix to be Amiga Unix (based on AT&T System V Release 4).
I don't have an A3000UX, but I do have an A3000.

Muirium
µ

28 Oct 2015, 01:58

mr_a500

28 Oct 2015, 07:42

Yes, everything stinks.

Back to headers, these are examples of the difficulty of fitting vintage pictures.

You can clone stamp to add extra width, but if any part of the image is cut off, you'll have to pick a side and it'll usually take it too far off centre like this:
Untitled.jpg
Or you can crop it to fill the frame better like this one, but then you lose heads, arms, various other body parts:

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

28 Oct 2015, 20:08

Madhias sleek shots:
hhkb2sleek1.jpg
hhkb2sleek1.jpg (94.38 KiB) Viewed 3274 times
hhkb2sleek2.jpg
hhkb2sleek2.jpg (91.05 KiB) Viewed 3274 times
hhkb2sleek3.jpg
hhkb2sleek3.jpg (96.98 KiB) Viewed 3274 times

Halvar

28 Oct 2015, 20:15

Ducky's models know how to do it (Ducky photo, so probably not usable as a header):

seebart

28 Oct 2015, 20:20

You like that Halvar? ;)
halvarsbabe.jpg
halvarsbabe.jpg (212.47 KiB) Viewed 3253 times
Last edited by seebart on 28 Oct 2015, 20:24, edited 2 times in total.

Madhias
BS TORPE

28 Oct 2015, 20:21

mr_a500 wrote: Yes, everything stinks.

Back to headers, these are examples of the difficulty of fitting vintage pictures.

You can clone stamp to add extra width, but if any part of the image is cut off, you'll have to pick a side and it'll usually take it too far off centre like this:

[...]
Or you can crop it to fill the frame better like this one, but then you lose heads, arms, various other body parts:

[...]
Both are really great!

Madhias
BS TORPE

28 Oct 2015, 20:23

mr_a500 wrote: Yes, everything stinks.

[...]

[...]
Both are really great![/quote]
seebart wrote: Madhias sleek shots:
hhkb2sleek1.jpg
hhkb2sleek2.jpg
hhkb2sleek3.jpg
Hmm, I quite like the Clack and the straight one... I should make some crops too but right now too lazy :oops: But you always make nice ones, so at least I am saving time here :)
Last edited by Madhias on 28 Oct 2015, 20:43, edited 1 time in total.

seebart

28 Oct 2015, 20:26

The horizontal crop might be a keeper, I'm just having fun.

Halvar

28 Oct 2015, 20:33

seebart wrote: You like that Halvar? ;)
halvarsbabe.jpg
Err -- no. "Booth babes" are a ridiculous concept.

seebart

28 Oct 2015, 20:37

Halvar wrote:
seebart wrote: You like that Halvar? ;)
halvarsbabe.jpg
Err -- no. "Booth babes" are a ridiculous concept.
Well you posted it?!? OK I'm not being really serious anyway. Don't worry.

Prelim

28 Oct 2015, 20:39

seebart wrote: Madhias sleek shots:
hhkb2sleek1.jpg
hhkb2sleek2.jpg
hhkb2sleek3.jpg
like the clack and 1st one ;)

Muirium
µ

28 Oct 2015, 20:58

The first one is indeed very nice. About the Clack one, how about better aligning the edge of that cap to the Y in DESKTHORITY?

Yes, that's the kind of thing I like to tweak in my own crops. Welcome to the madness!

seebart

28 Oct 2015, 20:58

Thank you for your continued feedback Prelim. You know when I do these headers it's more like fun recreation time for me. When I see really great shots like Madhias super clean HHKB I just have to try something. I'm pretty sure we have enough headers and I'm quite happy I don't have to choose which ones make the cut.

Go ahead and tweak it Mu! Cause I've had my fun for now. But the horizontal one I do like.

Muirium
µ

28 Oct 2015, 21:02

seebart wrote: I'm quite happy I don't have to choose which ones make the cut.
Easy. Just enjoy saying no. It comes to me so naturally…
seebart wrote: Go ahead and tweak it Mu! Cause I've had my fun for now. But the horizontal one I do like.
Ack. But that'd be work, wouldn't it?

seebart

28 Oct 2015, 21:06

Muirium wrote: Ack. But that'd be work, wouldn't it?
madhiassleekclack2.jpg
madhiassleekclack2.jpg (101.49 KiB) Viewed 3211 times
Too far to the right now, let me get that. Jeez. All right further over right is cleaner.
madhiassleekclack3.jpg
madhiassleekclack3.jpg (102.84 KiB) Viewed 3193 times
Last edited by seebart on 28 Oct 2015, 21:12, edited 1 time in total.

Muirium
µ

28 Oct 2015, 21:09

Protip: try taking a screenshot with the header in place. Then do your next edit in a window stacked just below that one, so you can line it up by sight instead of guessing.

Not that I'd ever waste my time with such tweaks, or tell others how to do them, that's not my kind of thing at all…

seebart

28 Oct 2015, 21:14

Muirium wrote: Protip: try taking a screenshot with the header in place. Then do your next edit in a window stacked just below that one, so you can line it up by sight instead of guessing.

Not that I'd ever waste my time with such tweaks, or tell others how to do them, that's not my kind of thing at all…
Just did and you got seebarted for your Protip. 8-) Enough for now.

Madhias
BS TORPE

28 Oct 2015, 21:20

The first one was the best I think.

Or you could make a template with the font / logo and use that as a layer above the image!
http://deskthority.net/deskthority-f17/ ... 30-30.html

Muirium
µ

28 Oct 2015, 21:22

I have tried that, using a crafty black header image so I could easily isolate the logo, but my layer-fu is stupendously poor.

Someone go do it — make a Photoshop PSD file with a semitransparent layer including the logo in the correct size and position as it is live on the site — and save us all the bother, stat!

Including the tagline would be nice too. And the site UI. And the… hmm… this is rapidly seeming less easy the more I think about it.

seebart

28 Oct 2015, 21:28

Madhias wrote: The first one was the best I think.

Or you could make a template with the font / logo and use that as a layer above the image!
http://deskthority.net/deskthority-f17/ ... 30-30.html
That's the trick, I had one and deleted it and not bothered again.
Muirium wrote: Including the tagline would be nice too. And the site UI. And the… hmm… this is rapidly seeming less easy the more I think about it.
I'll see if I can get that done. Should help anyone here posting headers.

chzel

28 Oct 2015, 21:35

Could we have a thread with the same behaviour as this one (click on image to preview on header) that we could use as a test-ground of sorts?
You know, post a few headers, test them and delete when we are done...Or even an automated clean-up of posts older than a week?

seebart

28 Oct 2015, 21:40

You mean another thread for headers, or just the idea of click on image to preview?
an automated clean-up of posts older than a week?
Auto clean up of posts sounds great, not sure if that's really viable.

chzel

28 Oct 2015, 21:51

I mean a new thread named "Test your header images here" or something, where I can post a test header, click on it to see it up top, and my post gets autodeleted one week later.
Literally a dump thread for headers that are work in progress. It would help keep this thread cleaner, retaining only the better versions.

Muirium
µ

28 Oct 2015, 21:53

Sounds great to me. Especially if no one can see anyone else's posts there! If the Chief Engineering Duck can do it trivially… (he's busy until Christmas, I've been nagging him about other implementation matters behind the scenes. Regarding the DT Club membership fees interface, or lack thereof…)

seebart

28 Oct 2015, 22:08

But that's what we have here chzel.
Post your deskthority header images here
;)
Literally a dump thread for headers that are work in progress.
Sorry to break the news, that's exactly what this thread is to me. 8-)

Muirium
µ

28 Oct 2015, 22:11

Speak for yourself, Seebarter!
chzel wrote: Literally a dump thread for headers that are work in progress. It would help keep this thread cleaner, retaining only the better versions.
It would leave this one as a prettier thread, easier to navigate.

chzel

28 Oct 2015, 22:12

Yeah, but if I post 5 versions of the same header with slight adjustments for alignment, I either have to go and edit out the wrong ones, or leave them there ruining the S/N ratio for this thread.
I imagine this thread to be for "finished" images, and the new one to be for "work in progress" ones.

seebart

28 Oct 2015, 22:17

Oh I'm all for it, don't get me wrong. Nothing wrong with a little more overview in a leaner thread.

Return to “Deskthority talk”