Replacing keycaps on HHKB Pro 2

Hypersphere

02 Jul 2013, 01:01

Are there tutorials or "how to" videos on replacing keycaps on a HHKB Pro 2? I have done a complete replacement on a Filco MJ2 TKL Ninja with no major issues after picking up some hints about how to deal with Costar stabilizers and stabilizer pegs that were too small for the replacement keycaps. However, I have searched in vain for tips on replacing Topre keycaps. I presume that the non-stabilized keys simply pull off and push on; however, are there special issues with Topre stabilizers? I was thinking of changing all the dark gray keycaps on a HHKB Pro 2 with a full set of white and light gray. Thanks for any insights you might be able to provide.

mj45

02 Jul 2013, 03:08

Just follow the instruction sheet that comes with the caps. It's in Japanese but you can follow the illustrations. I would not use the supplied key puller it can scratch your caps, use a wire type key puller instead. It's easy to to do.

Hypersphere

02 Jul 2013, 06:02

Thanks! I trust that the illustrations will explain any special tricks regarding the larger keys that have stabilizers.

ne0phyte
Toast.

02 Jul 2013, 09:24

Sry for the bad quality. Direct upload in Tapatalk.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

02 Jul 2013, 09:33

OMG That hurts!
ouch.png
ouch.png (7.06 KiB) Viewed 6149 times

cookie

02 Jul 2013, 09:52

Hahaha :D

Those Realforce/HHKB keycap puller are total crap, scratching the caps is so easy with them :/
I'd prefere the filco ones!

Hypersphere

02 Jul 2013, 19:25

Thanks to all. Yes, as mj45 said, use a different keycap puller. I have both, a couple of Filcos (wire type) and a Ducky (plastic) that should work well. Looks like the Topre stabilizers are below the plate, so you just have to pull the keycap off the stems. All this might be moot, as I have not yet decided on buying the HHKB Pro 2. What I had in mind if I decided to buy the HHKB was to get the black version and replace the black-on-black keycaps with a set of the white/gray keycaps. The lighter keycaps should look good in the black case, and they will be much more legible than the black keycaps.

nightsnack

03 Jul 2013, 02:00

Don't use the ducky plastic puller for topre caps. I've tried that and it doesn't work well at all. One side will slip as you pull and end up scratching the keycap. Just go with the wire puller.

Return to “Keyboards”