At the End of the Day, Which Keyboard do You Actually Use?

klikkyklik

21 Dec 2015, 23:36

For work I use a Das Keyboard w/Cherry blues, and they take a pounding. For personal use I currently routinely rotate a Model M, Model F, Realforce 87U 55g, Corsair K70 w/Cherry reds, Dell AT101W w/Alps blacks, Unitek K-260 w/Alps green clones, Unitek K-256 with yellow Tiawan Jet Axis, an NMB RT-101+ with clicky black Space Invaders, and an NEC APC-H412 with clicky blue ovals. I appreciate them all, and some fit certain moods or tasks better than others. I would also use a Focus FK-5001 with white Alps and a Triumph-branded FKB4700 more often if they didn't require being powered up with the machine.

Edit: what I'm getting at here is that in regards to the OP, there is no one keyboard that I use more than the others (for personal use; work is a different matter). The rotation is fun and keeps the experience fresh.
Last edited by klikkyklik on 21 Dec 2015, 23:44, edited 1 time in total.

Laser
emacs -nw

21 Dec 2015, 23:44

HAL wrote: At work I use an IBM SSK and once in a while I use my TKL WASD Code with MX Greens. At home I use a TKL RealForce 55g and once in a while the RoyalKludge Topre Clone with 55g with some custom key caps (Jukebox at the moment).
Sorry if I didn't follow on other (possible) threads, how's that Royal Kludge? It seems to be pretty cheap (comparatively) on AliExpress (113$ non-lit version); for those of you with $$$, maybe even a source of topre->mx sliders ...

----
On topic ...

At home I use, recently bought, a HHKB Pro 2 (black keycaps), which replaced another 60% (faceU replica PCB with MX Greys and 68g custom springs) and a CM Storm QFR with MX Clears and 68g springs, hooked up to a replacement programmable controller from BPiphany (the Frosty Flake).
Spoiler:
Here's the possible worst picture of this thread, with the 2 60%s:

At work, I use a Ducky TKL with MX Browns, 65g springs, the trampoline mod and POM keycaps - while at first I wasn't too impressed, in time the combination really grew on me - while not the same, it's the closest feeling to the Topre I have on a MX keyboard.
Last edited by Laser on 21 Dec 2015, 23:55, edited 1 time in total.

HAL

21 Dec 2015, 23:53

Laser wrote:
HAL wrote: At work I use an IBM SSK and once in a while I use my TKL WASD Code with MX Greens. At home I use a TKL RealForce 55g and once in a while the RoyalKludge Topre Clone with 55g with some custom key caps (Jukebox at the moment).
Sorry if I didn't follow on other (possible) threads, how's that Royal Kludge? It seems to be pretty cheap (comparatively) on AliExpress (113$ non-lit version); for those of you with $$$, maybe even a source of topre->mx sliders ...
The RoyalKludge Topre clone with 55g is a very nice keyboard. It is definitley no RealForce 55g. On the other hand you can dress it up with some nice SA key caps and it is not as noisy as the Novatouch.

Laser
emacs -nw

21 Dec 2015, 23:54

kekstee

22 Dec 2015, 11:29

Ever since I got a HHKB it feels like my main keyboard, even if I keep rotating through other variants.
Guess I could get Topres for every computer and call it a day.

bhtooefr

22 Dec 2015, 15:06

At work, I use the following, in order of use:

ThinkPad Compact Bluetooth Keyboard with TrackPoint - scissor-stabilized rubber dome over membrane (it's paired to my phone, for things like posting on Deskthority)
Unicomp EnduraPro 104 - buckling spring over membrane
Dell Latitude E6430 - scissor-stabilized rubber dome over membrane

At home, it's really the MBPR's scissor-stabilized rubber dome over membrane that gets used by far the most. When I'm retrocomputing, there's a lot of options, but I don't care that much for my 122-key Model F (the 83-key XT one on my 5155, on the other hand, is amazing), and I still haven't gotten around to replacing the cable on my Tactile Pro 4.

Note that, in contrast, my favorite switches are capacitive buckling spring and Alps SKCM amber, neither of which is a daily driver. Matias Click is close, and I'd use my TP4 more often if it were actually working, though.

andrewjoy

22 Dec 2015, 15:12

Work F122
Home F122 or FIlco when playing a game.

Hypersphere

22 Dec 2015, 15:23

It is interesting to see the contrasts that exist for some of us between our notion of one or more ideal keyboards and the reality of what we actually use. I wonder what barriers need to be overcome to enable us to use the ideal? In my case, it is finding the time and energy to refurbish and convert Model F keyboards to the desired layout and enable them to work with modern computers. However, I wonder. Even if I had my dream Kishsaver up and running, I think there is a psychological need to believe in the holy grail -- that there is always something better out there somewhere waiting to be discovered.

andrewjoy

22 Dec 2015, 15:33

There is not that much effort to convert an F122, if the controller works correctly ( one of mine did one did not) then all you need to do is use a pre made converter from ebay.

The caps can be switched for model M caps from unicomp ( you will need some inserts for the stabilised keys )

If the controller is dead its a bit more of a pain but xwhatsit has you covered

Hypersphere

22 Dec 2015, 15:48

Regarding the F-122, I would want to convert the vertical Enter key to the horizontal ANSI layout. I think this involves moving a spring, so that the plates must be taken apart. I would want to do this anyway, to replace the foam layer and paint the top plate and case. I would also like the satisfaction of installing an internal converter or controller, although the pre-made converters are tempting.

amospalla
let's go

22 Dec 2015, 15:49

I am sad not to use a RF 55g but instead the 45g one. The former has a great feeling but the later makes me make less errors when touch typing. Even after using exclusively the 55g for months and not using at all the 45g, when coming back to the 45 I do make less errors almost instantly.

Neither my Matias Quiet or my MX boards can not compete with the Topre ones. I am looking forward to test the GMK qmx silencing clips hoping it can be quiet and then start looking for a nice MX compact and modern board. Currently only that could move out Topre from the first position.

jeff

22 Dec 2015, 16:05

At work for a few months :

Compgeke

22 Dec 2015, 19:29

I do own some fancier keyboards like a beamspring, F 122, etc but I still go back to a plain Model M. Desktop has a Model M 1391401 with mix-n-match caps and hasn't been cleaned in quite a while.

Hypersphere

22 Dec 2015, 20:51

Compgeke wrote: I do own some fancier keyboards like a beamspring, F 122, etc but I still go back to a plain Model M. Desktop has a Model M 1391401 with mix-n-match caps and hasn't been cleaned in quite a while.
Although I prefer the feel and sound of Model F switches over Model M, the Model M is more accessible for most people. Model M keyboards are usually in the ANSI layout that many people favor, they usually can be readily interfaced with modern computers, and they tend to be in plentiful supply at reasonable prices. I have a fondness for the full-size Model M as one of my first mechanical keyboards, and I keep an SSK in my rotation mainly because of its beautiful design.

tybenz

22 Dec 2015, 20:57

Here are the 3 boards I rotate between:
kb_family.jpg
kb_family.jpg (222.17 KiB) Viewed 6080 times
Top: Massdrop Infinity with Matias Clickies, DSA Granite blanks (Alps to MX adapters), and a Poker II Case
Middle: Massdrop Infinity with Matias Quiet Clicks, DSA Black blanks, and a Poker X Case
Bottom: CM Novatouch, dental-band modded, with G20 Stealth

If I had to pick one, and noise wasn't a problem, I'd pick the Matias Clickies!
In reality, I work from home, with toddlers that nap for 2-3 hours a day, so noise is an issue. Usually I use the clickies in the morning, and switch to the Novatouch or Quiet Clicks when naptime rolls around.

Hypersphere

22 Dec 2015, 22:09

@tybenz: Looks like you prefer typing on flat profile keycaps. I've tried doing so, but I find that I need a medium to high sculpted profile, such as SA, OEM, or Topre. However, I share your fondness for Matias Click switches. One of the favorites in my rotation is a KBP V60MTS-C with dye-sub PBT caps harvested from an IBM 5140.

tybenz

23 Dec 2015, 00:41

Hypersphere wrote: @tybenz: Looks like you prefer typing on flat profile keycaps. I've tried doing so, but I find that I need a medium to high sculpted profile, such as SA, OEM, or Topre. However, I share your fondness for Matias Click switches. One of the favorites in my rotation is a KBP V60MTS-C with dye-sub PBT caps harvested from an IBM 5140.
I really like higher-profile caps as well. I had Vortex blank (cherry profile) caps on my Novatouch before the G20s. But I tried the G20s and loved them. I guess I'm comfortable on any profile, but I like blank keycaps, and blank DSAs are easiest to get.

E3E

23 Dec 2015, 01:40

At the end of the day, this guy makes me the most happy. :3

I do love my old vintages, my Octagon and its Lightpad companion, but this one just does it for me in so many ways. ITS TOTALLY NOT BECAUSE I'VE POURED SO MUCH INTO IT. Haha.

I'm hoping to get a lot of time in on a Leading Edge DC-3014 I just scored. Since it's one of the only blue Alps boards I know of with NKRO, it should be really nice for gaming and whatever.

I hear it's going to need a bit of a retrobright. Fingers crossed it won't have plate speckled with rust. I hate restoring plates so much!

Hypersphere

23 Dec 2015, 01:51

@E3E: What is the board you've shown us that makes you happy? I presume it is a custom with some flavor of Alps?

E3E

23 Dec 2015, 04:09

Hypersphere wrote: @E3E: What is the board you've shown us that makes you happy? I presume it is a custom with some flavor of Alps?
Hehe, thanks for noticing, Hypersphere! You are correct! It's based on a Duck Eagle PCB I modded with hotswappable sockets to accept Alps switches. This one uses green linear Alps and every switch was hand-drilled to accept LEDs. The glow is pretty low so it's very classy and not overdone like some backlighting can be.

The Duck Eagle PCB was mounted to a carbon fiber plate and then thrown into a genuine Hammer case. Beneath the PCB is a sheet of sorbothane to dampen the board.

I also took the time to lube the springs each and every single green Alps switch in order to eliminate spring ping.

All in all, it's a very quiet and pleasant board to type on. I love it! With PBT, it's almost too quiet, so I keep the ABS caps on, hehe.

:)

DanielT
Un petit village gaulois d'Armorique…

23 Dec 2015, 14:16

I'm a full time 60% user :) For almost 2 years I have typed at work only on my HHKB and rotated the other 60% boards at home.
Now I have a different approach, I rotate them depending on my mood, one day I feel Topre would be nice, other day MX Black 60g plate mount, or MX Red PCB mount, or I would like to see one keyset or the other. Just pure mood.
I consider that I have reached a point where I have only the keyboards I really like and enjoy, I don't have the need for more, I know what I like :) Now by all the keyboards I mean also some projects already in the pipeline 8-)

hypkx
Chasing the Dream

23 Dec 2015, 15:38

I think I use my model m the most time at home (iso). Sometimes I work at the afternoon, then I have to use a tipro keyboard.
Spoiler:

fohat
Elder Messenger

23 Dec 2015, 15:44

This is sitting on my desk this week:
Attachments
F-122-exposed-02e.jpg
F-122-exposed-02e.jpg (492.71 KiB) Viewed 5923 times

pr0ximity

24 Dec 2015, 06:38

I rotate on a semi-monthly basis at work between my 55g Realforce, Filco with 62g Gateron Blacks, and 356 Mini with Vintage MX Blacks.

At home I use whatever isn't at the office, usually my Model F because it's the only one I don't bring in to work. But today it's the Filco working from home because I've been using the F a bunch lately and the Filco hasn't gone to the office in a while.

Ever since I restored my Model F I haven't used my M at all, I'm just not much of a fan of the apparent stiffness in comparison to the F.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

24 Dec 2015, 08:28

I can finally say I've found my purrrfect keyboard :)

lootbag

24 Dec 2015, 11:26

In the past 5-6 years, I've been through many many cherry mx boards, topre boards, a couple Model M's, etc. and now I just use this everyday... (actually its the only complete kb I own, my phantom is just shelved)
Spoiler:
HHKB with the Hasu BT controller
I think it's more the layout I enjoy, rather than the Topre switches (although they are good).
It is wireless for multiple connectivity, fully programmable layout and comes in a nice package.
Really hoping to build a Cherry MX board in the HHKB layout soon or in the near future.

Kurplop

24 Dec 2015, 12:32

I've been using my Alumaplop exclusively since I finished it 6 months ago but I think it will get relegated to laptop use only status when I finish Planet 6.
Attachments
alumaplop resize.jpg
alumaplop resize.jpg (452.77 KiB) Viewed 5862 times

Daniel

24 Dec 2015, 12:40

At work I use a CM Quickfire Rapid with MX black switches. I brought it home over Christmas to clean it. Funnily I noticed that the C key has the most shine (sigint :lol: ).
DSCF2905.JPG
DSCF2905.JPG (88.99 KiB) Viewed 5858 times
DSCF2906.JPG
DSCF2906.JPG (104.25 KiB) Viewed 5858 times
DSCF2909.JPG
DSCF2909.JPG (108.96 KiB) Viewed 5858 times
At home I currently use a G80 with MX blues and Ivans black on black dyesubs. But I keep coming back to BS after two months or so.

courtesi

24 Dec 2015, 17:26

tybenz wrote: Bottom: CM Novatouch, dental-band modded, with G20 Stealth.
Would it be possible to do a typing video online or post an audio sample somewhere? I have been on and off interested in a Novatouch for quite sometime but if I were to build one up - I'd do exactly what you've done with the dental-bands/G20 keycaps.

I keep the faith that one day CM will come out with a dampened 30g version some day...

Touch_It

24 Dec 2015, 17:32

Unicomp 103 key classic at work

1986 Square label M with RGB mods at home.

Return to “Keyboards”