Commodore 64 Caps

twinrotor

20 Mar 2018, 20:01

Are the Commodore key caps usable on anything other than the breadbox? I have some spares that came with a bunch of Commodore stuff I recently scored

matt3o
-[°_°]-

20 Mar 2018, 20:21

you need adapters, someone here posted a 3d files I believe... OOOR you could wait for the rerun of the SA Retro set :)

twinrotor

20 Mar 2018, 20:26

I did notice the similarity between MX mounts and these, but way bigger than MX. Thanks for the info on the spacers!

PlacaFromHell

21 Mar 2018, 01:15

twinrotor wrote: I did notice the similarity between MX mounts and these, but way bigger than MX. Thanks for the info on the spacers!
If MX is smaller just use something like cloth to make it fit, not really hard at all.

mike52787
Alps Aficionado

21 Mar 2018, 01:25

PlacaFromHell wrote:
twinrotor wrote: I did notice the similarity between MX mounts and these, but way bigger than MX. Thanks for the info on the spacers!
If MX is smaller just use something like cloth to make it fit, not really hard at all.
the stems have to fit inside the housing on mx switches. this is impossible with old caps like this. you need to create an adapter to be able to use these.

PlacaFromHell

21 Mar 2018, 02:11

Oh, now I understand. Maybe with a dremel but keycaps may turn weak

mike52787
Alps Aficionado

21 Mar 2018, 02:14

PlacaFromHell wrote: Oh, now I understand. Maybe with a dremel but keycaps may turn weak
yeah I think that would do more harm than good

GordonZed

23 Mar 2018, 15:20

There was a time that you could order adapters on Shapeways. I did back in 2013, and I can only describe the result as interesting but completely impractical. There's still a page up on Shapeways for the adapters but they're no longer for sale. Relevant thread: workshop-f7/mec64-keyboard-t4522-60.html

jae-3soteric

25 Mar 2018, 11:51

I’m on mobile st the moment but I made and printed a file for these a short while ago. OP if you drop me a PM when I’m home I can send you the file

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zrrion

26 Mar 2018, 05:28

GordonZed wrote: I can only describe the result as interesting but completely impractical.
What exactly makes them impractical? I'm assuming its the cap height but I could be mistaken.

ScottPaladin

26 Mar 2018, 20:15

Do they fit on SKCC stems? I've been looking for an SKCC set for an upcoming build.

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

26 Mar 2018, 20:22

ScottPaladin wrote: Do they fit on SKCC stems? I've been looking for an SKCC set for an upcoming build.
I tried in the past and I think the answer is no, but it's been a couple of years so I'm not positive about that. I have a set at home that I'll sell you if so. I do have SKCC compatible Cyrillic that I might be willing to part with if they aren't compatible though.

ScottPaladin

26 Mar 2018, 22:01

Blaise170 wrote: I tried in the past and I think the answer is no, but it's been a couple of years so I'm not positive about that. I have a set at home that I'll sell you if so. I do have SKCC compatible Cyrillic that I might be willing to part with if they aren't compatible though.
I wouldn't be surprised if they're close but not quite.The stems look a lot like those off the Archer/Realistic board I got the other day. (Edit: looked back at my photos and I realized that's not true) Those caps fit the SKCC switches, but the geometry forces them to swivel 10 degrees to right or left. Looks bloody awful. I tried shimming with tape, but to no avail.

SpacemanToby

27 Mar 2018, 13:26

ScottPaladin wrote: Do they fit on SKCC stems? I've been looking for an SKCC set for an upcoming build.

Don't get me started on SKCC stems. I have a ton of Mitsumi caps off various typewriters and they totally look like they should fit, and totally do fit, but they all sit slightly cock-eyed on skcc stems. Makes no sense.

ScottPaladin

27 Mar 2018, 17:20

SpacemanToby wrote: Don't get me started on SKCC stems. I have a ton of Mitsumi caps off various typewriters and they totally look like they should fit, and totally do fit, but they all sit slightly cock-eyed on skcc stems. Makes no sense.
Haha, I know your pain. I bought a lot of two Archer/Realistic with something like Mitsumis hoping they'd fit and got the exact same result.
Last edited by ScottPaladin on 27 Mar 2018, 17:26, edited 1 time in total.

twinrotor

27 Mar 2018, 17:26

Lots of great info guys, thanks.

I did notice they looked like a SKCC stem, but wasn't sure. All I have to compare them with are MX style. There is a possibility I'll have these, plus another keyboard. If they are not useful to anyone but C64 users, I'll just pass them on to those guys :)

Return to “Keyboards”